Spiders

PH+

n3wb
Reaction score
Could use a few unique ideas about keeping spiders off cameras. Well the spiders really aren't the problem it's their webs. I can clean them 10 times a day and they keep coming back. Something simple would be nice. Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Could use a few unique ideas about keeping spiders off cameras. Well the spiders really aren't the problem it's their webs. I can clean them 10 times a day and they keep coming back. Something simple would be nice. Thanks
Use external IR and turn camera IR off...this is why turret style cameras are recommended of the bullets and domes...

fundean

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Spraying long term insect repellent worked wonders for me...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

code2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
24 Ounce Clothing Insect Repellent

Spray around the camera not on it but the area around it. This stuff is amazing its also whats used in the military but in a powder form. I can lay in a non maintained field for hours and never be bothered and tic free my buddy well he had to visit a doctor after his women found tics hanging on the stick and berries along with his back etc etc.

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I put a layer of vaseline around the camera housing and I haven't had any issues this winter with spiders. I have IR lights on at night too.

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Use external IR and turn camera IR off...this is why turret style cameras are recommended of the bullets and domes...
Why would it make a difference if it was a turret or bullet? Is it because a bullet is longer or has more led lights ? ;)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It doesn't matter. Either type camera, they're happy to screw up your viewing and recording pleasure.
it matters VERY much...turrets are WAY less prone ot this issue...with bullets (the ones with the ir ring around the lens) you are cleaning webs every other day in the summer..

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have significant spider and web issues. Long term spider spray around the area, paired with thick vaseline around the camera totally has worked well for me!!!

SAVideoman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I sprayed teflon lubricant on a couple of my bullet cams and that has worked well so far this summer. But it did leave a nasty looking brown residue on the camera case after the sun hit it for a week. But it's worth it for me not to have to mess with spidy videos. I may try the vaseline trick when the teflon wears out. Do you put the vaseline directly on the camera case?

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thick vasoline around the camera housing has held up for 1.5 months now. We are in the forest, there are spiders everywhere. They don't try to set up shop on the thick vasoline. I put on rubber gloves and spread the vasoline around the outside of the camera housing up to but not on the lens of course. I only do this on the outside cameras obviously and they are mounted high so they are not unsightly.

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thick gasoline around the camera housing has held up for 1.5 months now. We are in the forest, there are spiders everywhere. They don't try to set up shop on the thick vasoline. I put on rubber gloves and spread the gasoline around the outside of the camera housing up to but not on the lens of course. I only do this on the outside cameras obviously and they are mounted high so they are not unsightly.
Spell check got her: replace word gasoline with Vaseline. :)

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It did that to me 3 times!!! I kept correcting it and it wants to go back to gasoline :rofl:

Rocinante

n3wb
Reaction score
24 Ounce Clothing Insect Repellent

Spray around the camera not on it but the area around it. This stuff is amazing its also whats used in the military but in a powder form. I can lay in a non maintained field for hours and never be bothered and tic free my buddy well he had to visit a doctor after his women found tics hanging on the stick and berries along with his back etc etc.
This works very well for about 2 months, and then you have to reapply.
I got it from Amazon: http://a.co/6Kw30ZI

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

NM4D

n3wb
Reaction score
I'd read that Spiders hates the scent of Peppermint. Get some peppermint scent oil, put a few drops in the spray bottle and mix it with water. Spray around the area by the cameras, it suppose to drive them away. HTH