Standalone Java app for dedicated live view with Instant Replay

brantz

n3wb
Reaction score
Windows 10 Problem with Blue Iris Viewer?

I just upgraded to Win 10 and everything seems to work except I get the "Unable to connect to server" message when I try to start BI Viewer. Anyone else seeing this?

Thanks.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I see you're aware "Non-LAN only" authentication isn't functioning; I'll keep an eye out for improvements in BI for this.

A new issue I've just started getting is no response at all when launching the jar file - just instant crash without any GUI. I launched via a console and saw the error below -

Code:
[FONT=courier new]>java -jar "C:\Program Files\Blue Iris Viewer\BlueIrisViewer.jar"

[/FONT]
[FONT=courier new]AL lib: (EE) DoReset: Failed to get mix format: 0x8889000f[/FONT]
[FONT=courier new]Exception in thread "main" org.lwjgl.openal.OpenALException: Invalid Device[/FONT]
[FONT=courier new]        at org.lwjgl.openal.Util.checkALCError(Util.java:55)[/FONT]
[FONT=courier new]        at org.lwjgl.openal.ALC10.alcCreateContext(ALC10.java:251)[/FONT]
[FONT=courier new]        at org.lwjgl.openal.AL.init(AL.java:168)[/FONT]
[FONT=courier new]        at org.lwjgl.openal.AL.create(AL.java:138)[/FONT]
[FONT=courier new]        at org.lwjgl.openal.AL.create(AL.java:102)[/FONT]
[FONT=courier new]        at org.lwjgl.openal.AL.create(AL.java:201)[/FONT]
[FONT=courier new]        at com.badlogic.gdx.backends.lwjgl.audio.OpenALAudio.<init>(OpenALAudio.java:72)[/FONT]
[FONT=courier new]        at com.badlogic.gdx.backends.lwjgl.LwjglApplication.<init>(LwjglApplication.java:82)[/FONT]
[FONT=courier new]        at com.badlogic.gdx.backends.lwjgl.LwjglApplication.<init>(LwjglApplication.java:64)[/FONT]
[FONT=courier new]        at org.brian.blueirisviewer.Main.main(Main.java:84)[/FONT]
[FONT=courier new]AL lib: (EE) alc_cleanup: 1 device not closed[/FONT]
Two changes in (relatively) recent times are upgrading java to 8.51 and upgrading my video driver. I thought I'd used the viewer after those changes, but I can't be sure. I deleted my BIV config file and error file, but neither were recreated when launching. Launching in a new folder does successfully unpack the libturbojpeg.dll file though.
I tried the viewer on my windows tablet and it could sleep and wake just fine. Your error is obviously related to an audio device, which is odd because I have never seen that error before and BI Viewer doesn't use audio anyway. Apparently the engine loads audio code anyway. I can't really do anything to help; it works on my system!

Windows 10 Problem with Blue Iris Viewer?

I just upgraded to Win 10 and everything seems to work except I get the "Unable to connect to server" message when I try to start BI Viewer. Anyone else seeing this?

Thanks.
I had no problems with it after upgrading to Win 10. I would suspect either the connection is being firewalled or your BI server's IP address changed.

fbnoise

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
When Blue Iris exe restarts, I noticed the viewer freezes where it was at time of restart which at a glance, the user thinks it's still a live feed. Is there any way to auto-reconnect? If not, is there a way to show on the screen that it's not a live feed anymore? Maybe these are feature requests, and if so, I understand this viewer is a free and awesome thing and just throwing out ideas for a future version.

Thanks!!

fbnoise

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Very well could just be me. Maybe it has to do with the nature of the restart. I have BI Tools running and it forces a restart if CPU hits 95% or so for more than 20 seconds (which has been happening a lot lately, haven't diagnosed that yet - been diagnosing too many other things as of late).

Mistweaver

n3wb
Reaction score
I cannot connect. I am getting Unrecognized server error.

Windows 10 x64
BI v4.1.4.0 x64

I have port 81 forwarded by my router.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I am also using the same Windows and BI versions, and have no problems. You probably have the wrong server address or port number entered.

Be aware this tool uses a tremendous amount of bandwidth compared to Blue Iris' web interface. It is intended to be used on the same local network as Blue Iris, not over the internet, and ideally not even on WiFi due to the limited bandwidth available. Forwarding a port in your router only enables incoming connections from the internet, and would not affect a local connection.

reyes136

n3wb
Reaction score
I have installed your program on Windows 10, I copied it to my programs file directory, RMB on the folder and selected properties. Then under the securities tab I enabled full control for Administrators and Users. I then created a shortcut on the desktop and under the target path I entered
" C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath\java.exe -jar "C:\Program Files (x86)\BlueIrisViewer\BlueIrisViewer.jar"

When I double click on the short two windows pop up. One is a command window which seems to show messages, and the other is the viewer program. I can log into the cameras and everything works good.

My quesiton is, How can I only have the Viewer windows show up. and not the command window. I dont mind it being minimized but I only want to see the Viewer window.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
With java properly installed, you should be able to just create a shortcut to the jar file and that way you won't get a command window. If Windows asks what program to use to open the jar file, I guess point it at java.exe.

aaronwt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just installed this in a windows 10 machine. It's working great for me. Thanks

I really like the instant replay feature. I have it set to sixty minutes right now.

Thanks again.

aaronwt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
With java properly installed, you should be able to just create a shortcut to the jar file and that way you won't get a command window. If Windows asks what program to use to open the jar file, I guess point it at java.exe.
On a Windows 10 machine, I just downloaded the zip. Extracted it. Then just created a shortcut to the BlueIrisViewer.jar file.

When I click on this shortcut, it opens up full screen, with all the cameras, on the monitor I selected in the options menu.

I never saw a command window pop up the several times I've run this from the shortcut.

mbrinks

n3wb
Reaction score
Weird, BIV was working fine yesterday but today when I start it I get "Java Platform SE binary has stopped working." This is a Windows 10 machine. No error log from the app at all.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Weird, BIV was working fine yesterday but today when I start it I get "Java Platform SE binary has stopped working." This is a Windows 10 machine. No error log from the app at all.
Open the folder where BlueIrisViewer.jar is located and hold shift, then right click. In the menu you should find "Open command window here". Click it.

Now enter the command java -jar BlueIrisViewer.jar

This way you will see any output in the command window.

mbrinks

n3wb
Reaction score
Now enter the command java -jar BlueIrisViewer.jar

This way you will see any output in the command window.
Unfortunately it doesn't show anything. I just looked and Java Update 60 (8.0.600.27) was installed on 8/26, maybe it was before then when it worked and not just yesterday. Hmm.

mbrinks

n3wb
Reaction score
Unfortunately it doesn't show anything. I just looked and Java Update 60 (8.0.600.27) was installed on 8/26, maybe it was before then when it worked and not just yesterday. Hmm.
Aaaaand now it works after a reboot. Weird.

reyes136

n3wb
Reaction score
when I just click on the link The windows pops up then closes quickly I remember in the past I had this issue and I had to manualy add java to some windows path does anyone have info on how to do this again.

LTek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Nice App... like this much better than the browser based version.

A few questions...

a) any plans to put in 'Clips' section. That is really useful when watching the kids :)

b) any plans to have a 'favorite layout' buttons so we could quickly switch Camera Layouts? This is useful for different types of monitoring: Weekday - exterior cams only; Weekend - room cams & exterior; Kids - room cams only

thx

VirtualCam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've been using this app for a couple months now. The wife and I really love it. We have a 40" display over the entry way now with 9 cameras on it so we can see the whole yard, the driveway, inside the garage, etc. We can see at a glance where the kids are!

A couple of things though...

1) Is there anyway to order the arrangement of the cameras? They seem to come up in alphabetical order and there's no way to change it.

2) Some of the camera images are real time, and some of them are 30-60 seconds behind. It's a little odd to see the kids waiting for the bus on one camera while they are just starting to go out the door on another camera. What's causing this? Slow camera sending it's data to the BI server? Any way to deal with this? It's pretty consistent and not just occasional.

Thanks...

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
1) The arrangement is dictated by Blue Iris. Reorder the cameras in Blue Iris, then restart the app. I recommend you use the "Blue Iris Layout" option in BlueIrisViewer for the most efficient layout.

2) This suggests some resource is running out. Usually that will be CPU, memory, or network. If the link between the java app and Blue Iris involves WiFi, try choosing High Efficiency in BlueIrisViewer's performance options. This will also reduce CPU usage for the java process. Check the CPU and memory usage on the Blue Iris PC. If the java app is running on a different PC, check CPU and memory on there too. If CPU usage is too high you can control it by increasing the delay between frames under the performance options in the java app. Lastly you could also try disabling the instant replay feature, because as long as that is running it is doing a lot of disk access. If you are running the app off an SSD drive, you would want that disabled anyway so you don't wear out the SSD prematurely.