Starting out!

Reaction score
Hey guys- found this site from lurking on Slickdeals for POE systems and constantly reading Matt2000's posts and also suggestions for reading further here.

Starting to read through the wiki and went over southernyankeetips as well. For me, I'm in the early stages of planning. Originally, I intended on getting a lorex (or similiar) AOI kit from Costco or somewhere online but I'm beginning to rethink that strategy. Still not totally opposed to it but want to make sure I'm making an informed decision. I like the idea of being able to select individual cameras/focal lengths based on need rather than a kit with all the same but I'm also not sure I'm willing to commit the time to putting together a full fledged blue iris system. I'm certainly capable from a technical aspect but it's also one of those things where I need to decide if it's worth spending x amount on a relatively PNP system or spending as much (possibly more, it seems) on a fully custom configuration where i will undoubtedly put many more hours into configuring, optimizing, and continually tweaking.

We have a corner property ranch on .3 acres with 2 entrances and a garage. All potential camera locations would be easily accessible from my attic so I'm not concerned at all about making the runs. My gut tells me that I'm better off purchasing individual cameras+ NVR from Andy vs. a Lorex costco special but that a dedicated blue iris machine would give me the best feature set/customization capabilities. We'll be putting in an alarm system first (most likely Ring) but I'd love to hear what others with similar goals/situations have ultimately decided on.

Thanks and looking forward to this journey!

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You are off to a good start... read study plan before spending money.
Plan on a bigger system then you think you will need. More cameras are better than a few cameras trying to do to much.

Get one good variable focus camera, Use the test mount to check the camera locations and what lens works best. Read the tip sheet again, and again....
TEST TEST TEST

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the additional tips! Looking forward to learning more
HI @optimus dan

Good to have you join us. Do check out SouthernYankee's executive summary sheet... and I completely agree with him that getting one good varifocal camera to play with and learn will help those new to this area.
( I had a lot of misunderstandings when I started to learn .. still learning.. )