Storage Question

GaryDZ

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sorry to ask a question that has probably been asked before. I am setting up a 16 camera system. I have to decide on the mix of 4mp vs 8mp cameras. An important part of that decision is how much storage space would be required to save 30 days with all cameras recording 24/7 at about 20fps. Is there a formula available where I can plug in the variables and get an answer?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Look in the WiKi, in the blue bar at the to of the page. Storage isn't only based on resolution and frame rates. Bit rate is another contributor. The iframe rate is another, more minor contributor. Above all, don't chase megapixels. 4MP with a 1/1.8 or 1/1.7 sensor will out perform an 8MP, hands down, at night.

GaryDZ

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you both! Great tool. If you are recording with variable bitrate and 95% of the video being recorded has no motion whatsoever, does this significantly reduce storage requirements?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No motion will reduce the file size in using VBR. But the only real no motion is inside with no windows in the room. Small light changes, the wind blowing all are motion. The best way to reduce file size is use H.265 in place of H.264. The amount of color recording verses black and white effect the recording size.

What do you mean by significant ?

GaryDZ

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
No motion will reduce the file size in using VBR. But the only real no motion is inside with no windows in the room. Small light changes, the wind blowing all are motion. The best way to reduce file size is use H.265 in place of H.264. The amount of color recording verses black and white effect the recording size.

What do you mean by significant ?
This is a Club that is occupied about 4 hours a day. 10 of the 14 cameras are inside. When the building is unoccupied there are no lights. There are no fans or other devices to cause movement of any kind. So I was hoping VBR would save 25 to 30% off the calculation.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It will save space if the Iframe is larger than the FPS, so If the FPS is 15, The Iframe is 60. So it would be one Iframe every 4 seconds. This will save space. But it May effect the quality of the playback

The H.265 will save maybe be 20%

Last edited: