struggling to connect to IPC-HDW5231R-Z

bronzehawk

n3wb
Reaction score
Matching up doesn't help..they need to be in the 568 order...
Ok, will get the LAN tester. The Cat5e cable definitely is working, as I used my laptop and data transmission is fine. What is the max length for POE over Cat5e?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, will get the LAN tester. The Cat5e cable definitely is working, as I used my laptop and data transmission is fine. What is the max length for POE over Cat5e?
Once again..lan tester will not detect it... laptop is not a good test...look at the plug itself...is it wired to 568B?

bronzehawk

n3wb
Reaction score
Once again..lan tester will not detect it... laptop is not a good test...look at the plug itself...is it wired to 568B?
Yes I had a look at it based on the diagram from looney. Looks to match.

I'll have a look again, get my wife to check and make sure.

bronzehawk

n3wb
Reaction score
Took pics of both ends of the cat5e cable:

garage.jpg room.jpg

They seem to match the T56B schematics?

Any ideas pls? Get a LAN tester?

Last edited:

Terk

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
When i moved one of out 5231s outside it took about 10 minutes before I could reliably connect to it, much longer than when it had been on my desk, but it has been reliable ever since. Your cables are definitely wired correctly as long as all of the wires made it all the way to the end of the connectors. Can you ping the camera when it is connected to that wire even if you can't get video?

bronzehawk

n3wb
Reaction score
When i moved one of out 5231s outside it took about 10 minutes before I could reliably connect to it, much longer than when it had been on my desk, but it has been reliable ever since. Your cables are definitely wired correctly as long as all of the wires made it all the way to the end of the connectors. Can you ping the camera when it is connected to that wire even if you can't get video?
Yes, rang ping with the IP address of the camera and no connectivity....

Is it worth reset-ing the camera? I had it configured before attempting to mount it outside.

The IP address has been changed from 192.168.1.*** to 192.168.0.*** and camera configured.

Last edited:

Terk

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Are you using the same port on the switch you where when it was connected with the short cable and working? It might be worth trying a different switch port just in case there is n issue with one. After that, if it is easy to bring it back inside I'd suggest doing that first to verify it works there still, which would point to an issue with the longer cable (maybe Something happened to it when pulling it). If not than you could try a reset.

bronzehawk

n3wb
Reaction score
Are you using the same port on the switch you where when it was connected with the short cable and working? It might be worth trying a different switch port just in case there is n issue with one. After that, if it is easy to bring it back inside I'd suggest doing that first to verify it works there still, which would point to an issue with the longer cable (maybe Something happened to it when pulling it). If not than you could try a reset.
The POE switch is brand new:https://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/cat-42_TL-SG1008P.html

Yes I have tried the first x4 ports which has POE with no issue using a factory cat5e cable... with the custom cat5e no such luck. Shows it's powering it but data transmission flickers every 5 sec.

I've ordered a DC12v 2.5a power adapter:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01NC2ZP0O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm gonna try to power the camera using that with the same custom cat5e cable to see if it works. The total length of the custom cat5e cable is no more than 7 meters so I'm really surprised my POE switch doesn't work.

Last edited:

Terk

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That's a good idea, if you have a POE injector laying around you could try that too. I use a Ubiquity switch and have had no issues but it cost much more and is POE+ capable as well.

bronzehawk

n3wb
Reaction score
That's a good idea, if you have a POE injector laying around you could try that too. I use a Ubiquity switch and have had no issues but it cost much more and is POE+ capable as well.
I didn't see the need for POE+ as I just intend to use the x1 IP camera with Synology NAS. Thus POE should be sufficient right?

I don't have a POE injector.. hopefully that power adapter via amazon is right?

With regards to PING this is what I get:

PING 192.168.0.108 (192.168.0.108): 56 data bytes

Request timeout for icmp_seq 0

Request timeout for icmp_seq 1

Request timeout for icmp_seq 2

Request timeout for icmp_seq 3

ping: sendto: No route to host

Request timeout for icmp_seq 4

ping: sendto: Host is down

Request timeout for icmp_seq 5

Request timeout for icmp_seq 6

Request timeout for icmp_seq 7

Request timeout for icmp_seq 8

Request timeout for icmp_seq 9

Request timeout for icmp_seq 10

Request timeout for icmp_seq 11

Request timeout for icmp_seq 12

Request timeout for icmp_seq 13

Request timeout for icmp_seq 14

Request timeout for icmp_seq 15

Request timeout for icmp_seq 16

Request timeout for icmp_seq 17

Request timeout for icmp_seq 18

Request timeout for icmp_seq 19

Request timeout for icmp_seq 20

≈≈ping: sendto: Host is down

Request timeout for icmp_seq 21

Request timeout for icmp_seq 22

Request timeout for icmp_seq 23

Request timeout for icmp_seq 24

Request timeout for icmp_seq 25

Terk

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Correct, POE should be fine. You're not able to ping it currently though with those results. Hopefully it works better for you with the power adapter.

Terk

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Sorry, I haven't ever used an external power supply for any of my cameras. But the camera requirement is 12v dc and that power adapter says 5v so I'm not sure it will work.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
10 minutes? That's not normal.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No it's not, you need one rated for 12vdc, 1amp.
You probably have one laying around the house from another piece of equipment.

I'd lay odds it's the cable. If you would get a cable tester, you could save yourself a lot of effort.
Looking the pic of the RJ45's, neither is inserted into the rj45, correctly. The sheath of the cable should be completely under the tab that acts as a strain relief, its not. If you look at the opposite end of the Rj45, from where the cable enters, you should be able to CLEARLY see the copper ends of the wires, if they were inserted fully as needed. If you can't see each wire's copper end clearly, then the plug needs to be cut off and a new one installed.

bronzehawk

n3wb
Reaction score

I'd lay odds it's the cable. If you would get a cable tester, you could save yourself a lot of effort.
Looking the pic of the RJ45's, neither is inserted into the rj45, correctly. The sheath of the cable should be completely under the tab that acts as a strain relief, its not. If you look at the opposite end of the Rj45, from where the cable enters, you should be able to CLEARLY see the copper ends of the wires, if they were inserted fully as needed. If you can't see each wire's copper end clearly, then the plug needs to be cut off and a new one installed.
Cancelled the amazon order.. thanks for highlighting that.

I'll reattempt with new RJ45 again.. would you say both ends?

bronzehawk

n3wb
Reaction score
You probably have one laying around the house from another piece of equipment.
Found a 12v DC 1amp. Doesn't power the camera. Needs 2 or 2.5a as recommended by the reseller.

Terk

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Can you take a photo of the ends of each connector? This is where a tester would be good as it will show that each wire is making connection all the way through.