Stupid question from a newb

ajmikola

n3wb
Reaction score
So i got my first camera in the mail today. I am still waiting for my DVR. I got this one camera as an IP camera because the DVR said it can also do IP cams. Attached is the pic of the camera i got in the mail, and the dvr that is coming any day now. It would seem that there is no way to plug this ethernet cam into the DVR unless I am missing something (which i know i am). I am so brand new at this it isn't even funny. I am assuming its the wrong type of camera.
The rest of the cameras that are coming are coax.

Screen Shot 2019-03-15 at 7.10.38 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-03-15 at 7.14.57 PM.pngIMG_9480.jpeg

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
A lot like the Dahua XVR's.

So the 8 BNC connections are for your analog HD TVI cams.

You need a switch, say a 4 port PoE switch. You plug your camera into that and then connect the switch to the ethernet port on the back of the DVR.

Hopefully one of the experts here can point you to a good PoE switch.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
You would also plug a connection from your LAN ( internal network) into the switch. That way you can connect to the DVR remotely from your pc or laptop.

I use a netgear WiFi extender so I didn’t have to run an Ethernet cable to the switch/dvr as my dvr is 30 ft from my router and difficult to get a cable to. The extender plugs into the switch, and connects to your router via WiFi.

ajmikola

n3wb
Reaction score
So this is what I bought. I will plug a short ethernet cord from the camera to the adapter, then run the standard siamese cables from the adapter to the dvr. I ran all the cables close to the router so i can run a short ethernet cord from the DVR to the router for wifi viewing. Sound right?

Attachments

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I've never used one...if it connects to the BNC connection, does it still assign an IP to the camera so you can access the camera settings? IP cameras dont use OSD display like your TVI/analog cams...

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So this is what I bought. I will plug a short ethernet cord from the camera to the adapter, then run the standard siamese cables from the adapter to the dvr. I ran all the cables close to the router so i can run a short ethernet cord from the DVR to the router for wifi viewing. Sound right?
These are for putting an analog cam over CAT-5e or 6 cable from cam to BNC...it allows use of that CAT cable instead of Siamese/coax.

ajmikola

n3wb
Reaction score
Have a look at @giomania 's "POE Switch Suggestion List"

Personally, I have a 9 port BV-Tech (8 POE ports + 1 uplink port) like this.
What i don't understand about these products is the power cord out is ethernet and there is only one ethernet port on the DVR i am buying, and the port will be used to plug a LAN/Ethernet cord from the DVR to the router. If I were to a POE device such as this, I wouldn't have any ports to go to the router.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Don think so

You need a PoE switch.

Both the camera (and any other IP cameras) and the cable to your router get plugged into the PoE switch. The switch then plugs into your single Ethernet port on the DVR

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So i got my first camera in the mail today. I am still waiting for my DVR. I got this one camera as an IP camera because the DVR said it can also do IP cams. Attached is the pic of the camera i got in the mail, and the dvr that is coming any day now. It would seem that there is no way to plug this ethernet cam into the DVR unless I am missing something (which i know i am). I am so brand new at this it isn't even funny. I am assuming its the wrong type of camera.
Start over. Go with an NVR and IP cameras.
Agreed. Looks like you bought on Amazon. @ajmikola Decline the delivery and get a refund.
Welcome @ajmikola

My recommendations:

Fenderman and Walrus have given the best advice imho on this.

If you're new to this, try to reduce your headaches - attempting to have a IP POE camera communicate with a BNC port on a DVR is just asking for some DIY learning pain.. not a bad thing per se - however, something you can avoid and save some money and time.

1) Keep the Hikvison IP camera, return the DVR
2) Get a POE switch
3 Install the Hikvision OEM VMS software on a PC and start playing around figuring out what and how to use just this one camera.
4) Then try the Blue Iris demo VMS software - and compare...

( of course, if you already have good quality coax siamese cables run to the locations you want, then you'll want to pause and think a bit about this.. )

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
That unit is effectively an NVR/DVR hybrid, just like the Dahua XVR's. No need to try and make an IP camera talk via the BNC connection. (even if it could)

With all due respect to my more experienced colleagues, going to complete IP system you'll still end up with the same parts. An NVR, a PoE switch and cameras.

Note that with an IP camera, most of the setting are done connect directly to the camera via its built-in web interface. Whereas on the HD analog cams, you connect to them and their settings only via the DVR and their OSD (On Screen Display) menu. The NVR/DVR handles other settings for either type.

If you already have the HD analog cams coming, that DVR gives you the ability to use both types of cameras. All of the IP camera features remain intact, you lose none of the capabilities of the IP camera.

Now if you are comfortable around computers and IP networking and want to step up to a dedicated computer running Blue Iris as your VMS in place of a DVR, there are certainly some benefits to going that route vs a NVR/DVR but I'm not getting the vibe from your post that added complexity is what you're looking for.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That unit is effectively an NVR/DVR hybrid, just like the Dahua XVR's. No need to try and make an IP camera talk via the BNC connection. (even if it could)

With all due respect to my more experienced colleagues, going to complete IP system you'll still end up with the same parts. An NVR, a PoE switch and cameras.

Note that with an IP camera, most of the setting are done connect directly to the camera via its built-in web interface. Whereas on the HD analog cams, you connect to them and their settings only via the DVR and their OSD (On Screen Display) menu. The NVR/DVR handles other settings for either type.

If you already have the HD analog cams coming, that DVR gives you the ability to use both types of cameras. All of the IP camera features remain intact, you lose none of the capabilities of the IP camera.

Now if you are comfortable around computers and IP networking and want to step up to a dedicated computer running Blue Iris as your VMS in place of a DVR, there are certainly some benefits to going that route vs a NVR/DVR but I'm not getting the vibe from your post that added complexity is what you're looking for.
That is not quite the case... These hybrids often have limits on the number of IP cameras they can accept. In this example that NVR can only handle 4 IP cameras. Installing analog cameras get a new insulation in 2019 is ridiculous and severely limits options when the user realizes how limited the DVR/NVR'S are.

ajmikola

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you all for the recommendations. As bigredgfish said, I am really not into the whole networking and advanced options that IP cams offer. I just want to watch over my kids when needed and if anything goes down up front i will have it recorded.
Thank you all again.