Stuttering video

Tayschrenn

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Oh one question: How important is RAM in general - I come close to hitting 8Gb when exporting, but am not sure if it's really worth adding another 2x4gb DIMMs for just 3 cameras.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you just turned off HA when I first mentioned it LOL.

Reddit is like Glassdoor - reviews are full of disgruntled members that were banned LOL. How many former employees that got fired go to Glassdoor and say the employer was awesome LOL.

Yeah, sounds like a networking issue that causes the cam to drop just enough that BI records it as a No Signal - but the video itself may show no proof of that as it was an instantaneous lost and reconnect.

For 3 cameras, 8GB of RAM is sufficient, but if you are offloading video to network storage, 16 would probably be useful.

Tayschrenn

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hard headed LOL - some cameras will be buggy with HA, so saying "if it were HA causing the issue, all cameras would in turn show the issue with it enabled" is an inaccurate statement. It can be one camera (and even one of the same model as it could be a different chipset for example between your two "identical" cameras) that is whacked out using HA with all the remaining cameras using HA just fine.

Many here have that problem camera that just doesn't like HA. Sometimes BI will recognize that and turn HA off for the problem camera, and sometimes we just have to turn it off ourself.

Hopefully you tried all cameras without HA to see if that fixed the problem. Like I said, for 3 cameras and your 9th generation CPU, HA isn't going to make a big impact. GPU usage with HA is probably 1% or so.

No signal - far right column of your Camera Status tab. The problem camera at this point had been online for a whopping 31 minutes and had 30 Loss of signals (but all of your cameras are showing loss of signal)...like I said, it could be nothing, or it is a power or setup issue that BI is taking an exception too and this particular camera is more susceptible to fluctuations than others...just because they are identical cameras doesn't mean much - as you saw the problem camera was using a lot more power than the other - that could be due to the scene differences (although they were both basically looking at the same thing) or maybe a different chipset between the two, or a variety of other issues.

As part of troubleshooting, I would put the BI computer and the cameras on the same switch temporarily and see if the No Signal goes away.

View attachment 88934

Sometimes simply deleting the camera from BI and adding it back can fix a lot of problems. Probably worth a try as well.
If you just turned off HA when I first mentioned it LOL.

Reddit is like Glassdoor - reviews are full of disgruntled members that were banned LOL. How many former employees that got fired go to Glassdoor and say the employer was awesome LOL.

Yeah, sounds like a networking issue that causes the cam to drop just enough that BI records it as a No Signal - but the video itself may show no proof of that as it was an instantaneous lost and reconnect.

For 3 cameras, 8GB of RAM is sufficient, but if you are offloading video to network storage, 16 would probably be useful.
Hahahahaha. Post got deleted for the hoez so I'll repost without comments ;)

Thank you all for the insight and your experience, particular props to @wittaj

I THINK it's resolved, my wife doesn't drive up as fast as I do but the last couple haven't stuttered. While disabling HA on all cameras did not seem to resolve it, once I went through and found the sub-tab on settings and set THAT to No it seems to have done it. This appears to be a global setting vs per camera?
1620330619475.png

I'll plan on picking up or finding another couple sticks, and move forward with adding a Quad Port NIC to completely offload all camera traffic onto its own VLAN and the network storage onto its own VLAN
1620330764123.png

You're all far more crazy than the average nerd for your patience with surveillance tweaking. I mean that in the nicest way :rofl:

WyzeCam Goats again in payment! All kids run from moms.
View attachment wyzegoatsnhoez.mp4

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
LOL.

Yeah, there is the global HA, but it can also be done within each camera as well to stop that problematic camera using HA or for those that have multiple GPUs and want to load balance their GPUs.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You dont need to disable HA. you simply need to set it to intel only. Not vpp.