SUNBA 1080P HD, PoE+, 20X - 601-D20X

dabossc7

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
There is a way right now to reduce the IR-over exposure, but it's very much so, less than ideal...

- Turn on Wide Dynamic in the range of 15 to 25. My ideal was around 22-20.
- Set the AE Reference to the lower 30's. Mine is set to 34 of the default from 50.
- Day and Night NT levels have to be set to 5.

The result will be somewhat better night clarity (get a bucket of salt for that line) clarity on IR imagery.

Full zoom on my weather station...
View attachment 23776

Granted, this CCTV (601-D20X) camera is extremely budget by all means and ways.

As for Sunba vs Dahua sales... you're comparing a tiny grocery chain to the likes of a Walmart/Sams Club. I'm fairly certain dahua wouldn't be phased remotely by such.

With that being said, am considering on a new investment in my near future... the Dahua SD6AL245U-HNI. And giving this Sunba to family to use to watch wildlife in the boonies. It's a nice little camera, but too many little quirks to jump around and over. :)
funny that's almost exact settings I been using (but I force color and use ir and it does see the ir also) found ae reference made the biggest change for better over exposure and clarity seems when it over expose's it gets blurry but then my morning video would be to dark for my purpose I cant remember if they had a day/night setting like my 6 new dahuas do but if they fix that problem it would be a very good budget ptz.
ps I use these for security so if the picture is blurry or over exsposed I just wasted $300 it has to be perfect

rubb3rtoe

n3wb
Reaction score
There's a firmware that came out on Nov 21st addresses the IR over exposure. Its on their website.

rubb3rtoe

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a 507 and a 601 sunba and the night picture with ir on is way over exposed with blooming and out of focus areas I have tried all settings and only 1 think its ae setting works ok if you bring it down to like 38-39 but have to reset it for daytime so I just leave in color mode 24/7 as I have a street light to help, can you post night pictures of the 4922
thanks jeff

Sunba posted a new firmware to address the IR over exposure on Nov 21st.

dabossc7

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
FE06DBD8-F9A7-48B4-B547-9404FA152CF8.jpeg Yea bubbly! I also updated my old collecting dust 507 and downloaded ir and focus issue software and I noticed improvement in exposure and focus almost as good as my 4 new Dahua ptz I bought because of sunba ir focus issue. Another problem is ae reference no longer is adj just like say 50% of adj in GUI that say there adj but don’t do anything, (adj AE reference actually was very helpful in my case) I also noticed once that they have a time day/night setting selection window in color button lower left in IE but then I did a reboot and it wasn’t there anymore! Also getting random ) $ .. and other symbols next to the ir reference display upper left of screen, also day full zoom focused but night full zoom will not automatically focus unless I do it manually I’ve initiated lens many times it will only focus if I manually do it or pull back zoom to maybe 85% of full zoom. So After a day of recording I pulled up camera same as I always do and it’s back to poor focus and over exposed just like before but now I can’t adj AE to bring the levels down so I don’t know what happened but tried downloading software again and got confirmation it installed correctly but still my night video is worse than before update I’m not even sure where it shows that it updated in settings because nothing changed as far as firmware version so after countless hrs wasted I have weighed the many advantages of the Dahua that I have for about $40 more and in my case I’m sending my sunbas back. The clear picture is from my Dahua sd59995 auto tracker4604EB0D-3925-4249-8FF5-761963285C91.pngADD080B1-1008-47DD-96C6-66A47FC56F90.jpegFE06DBD8-F9A7-48B4-B547-9404FA152CF8.jpeg10E97966-0ABE-439A-9A0F-A9561224217F.jpeg

dabossc7

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
View attachment 24570 Yea bubbly! I also updated my old collecting dust 507 and downloaded ir and focus issue software and I noticed improvement in exposure and focus almost as good as my 4 new Dahua ptz I bought because of sunba ir focus issue. Another problem is ae reference no longer is adj just like say 50% of adj in GUI that say there adj but don’t do anything, (adj AE reference actually was very helpful in my case) I also noticed once that they have a time day/night setting selection window in color button lower left in IE but then I did a reboot and it wasn’t there anymore! Also getting random ) $ .. and other symbols next to the ir reference display upper left of screen, also day full zoom focused but night full zoom will not automatically focus unless I do it manually I’ve initiated lens many times it will only focus if I manually do it or pull back zoom to maybe 85% of full zoom. So After a day of recording I pulled up camera same as I always do and it’s back to poor focus and over exposed just like before but now I can’t adj AE to bring the levels down so I don’t know what happened but tried downloading software again and got confirmation it installed correctly but still my night video is worse than before update I’m not even sure where it shows that it updated in settings because nothing changed as far as firmware version so after countless hrs wasted I have weighed the many advantages of the Dahua that I have for about $40 more and in my case I’m sending my sunbas back. The clear picture is from my Dahua sd59225 auto tracking View attachment 24568View attachment 24569View attachment 24570View attachment 24571

CrusaderNZ

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looks like Sunba pulled this firmware, as I just looked now after reading this thread, and it is only showing the one from last February...

bctrainers

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Looks like Sunba pulled this firmware, as I just looked now after reading this thread, and it is only showing the one from last February...
Appears there's no way to revert this firmware change either for the few that updated to it. Using the older firmware yields no change. :(

CrusaderNZ

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have had this problem since I got my 601 nearly 2 years ago, where it looks like it has dead or stuck pixels on the CMOS. Is this normal for this camera or a warranty issue?

I have taken a screenshot at night pointing at the ground into the dark with DWDR turned off to show it off best. Even in a normal (moderately lit by street lights) situation/shot I can see some of the white dots below, and they look like twinkling stars on video.Sunba 601 DX20.jpg

bctrainers

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have had this problem since I got my 601 nearly 2 years ago, where it looks like it has dead or stuck pixels on the CMOS. Is this normal for this camera or a warranty issue?

I have taken a screenshot at night pointing at the ground into the dark with DWDR turned off to show it off best. Even in a normal (moderately lit by street lights) situation/shot I can see some of the white dots below, and they look like twinkling stars on video.View attachment 25636
Unfortunately, it gets worse with time - simply due to using cheap sensors/hardware. The good news for me: I have a nice star field to go along with the stars in the night sky now. ;)

CrusaderNZ

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I thought it was the stars when I first got the camera with where I had it pointing:lol:

Surely not all cameras using a Sony IMX 322 have this problem?? even though it isn't a STAVIS model.

I intend on replacing it in the near future with a Dahua STARVIS PTZ. A shame really, as it does produce a good daytime image.

BobbyBrown

n3wb
Reaction score
View attachment 24570 Yea bubbly! I also updated my old collecting dust 507 and downloaded ir and focus issue software and I noticed improvement in exposure and focus almost as good as my 4 new Dahua ptz I bought because of sunba ir focus issue. Another problem is ae reference no longer is adj just like say 50% of adj in GUI that say there adj but don’t do anything, (adj AE reference actually was very helpful in my case) I also noticed once that they have a time day/night setting selection window in color button lower left in IE but then I did a reboot and it wasn’t there anymore! Also getting random ) $ .. and other symbols next to the ir reference display upper left of screen, also day full zoom focused but night full zoom will not automatically focus unless I do it manually I’ve initiated lens many times it will only focus if I manually do it or pull back zoom to maybe 85% of full zoom. So After a day of recording I pulled up camera same as I always do and it’s back to poor focus and over exposed just like before but now I can’t adj AE to bring the levels down so I don’t know what happened but tried downloading software again and got confirmation it installed correctly but still my night video is worse than before update I’m not even sure where it shows that it updated in settings because nothing changed as far as firmware version so after countless hrs wasted I have weighed the many advantages of the Dahua that I have for about $40 more and in my case I’m sending my sunbas back. The clear picture is from my Dahua sd59995 auto trackerView attachment 24568View attachment 24569View attachment 24570View attachment 24571
You could show these pictures to most people and they would say they are both fine, maybe one is clearer. 1000's are going with $79 IP camera's because they have become so easy to set up and the picture is fine. Hikvision's new EZVIZ series is fantastic for everyday use.If you're trying to see license plates or ID people's faces, I can see paying the extra money. For a lot of people they just want to see if someone is messing with their stuff or trespassing. Everyone's opinion seems to be decided by how much money they have and want to spend on looking out at their front or back yard. Nitpicking about all these settings doesn't make me want to spend two or three times as much money. That's why Sunba sells 1000's of units worldwide. Listening to these arguments is like listening to audiophiles debating which amp or speaker sounds best, the $1000 one or the $5000 one. Not like everyday people. Sorry.

Last edited:

CrusaderNZ

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So I noticed they have finally re-released the firmware with the exposure fix, so I gave it a try and whilst it did help somewhat with that, it ruined the forced colour mode completely.

I also noticed that they have now released the H.265 upgraded version that has STARVIS. I contacted their support about it and they said they can send the new module out with installation instructions for $79.99 (which includes shipping).

They gave me these comparison screenshots in a pdf, which I've put into one image:

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So I noticed they have finally re-released the firmware with the exposure fix, so I gave it a try and whilst it did help somewhat with that, it ruined the forced colour mode completely.

I also noticed that they have now released the H.265 upgraded version that has STARVIS. I contacted their support about it and they said they can send the new module out with installation instructions for $79.99 (which includes shipping).

They gave me these comparison screenshots in a pdf, which I've put into one image:
Sure send that garbage company more money..

CrusaderNZ

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I know you don't like them, but the daytime image on this is actually decent and holds up surprisingly well against my 8MP Dahua camera. It is just garbage at night.

This is also a much cheaper fix than buying a whole new Dahua PTZ to replace it. No need to throw the baby out with the bath water.

I will be changing my setup at somepoint in the not to distant future (as I am growing a hedge that will eventually block this this camera) I will be replacing it with that Dahua positional PTZ camera that can look straight up at the sky - so this is just an easy on the wallet stop gap fix for me.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I know you don't like them, but the daytime image on this is actually decent and holds up surprisingly well against my 8MP Dahua camera. It is just garbage at night.

This is also a much cheaper fix than buying a whole new Dahua PTZ to replace it. No need to throw the baby out with the bath water.

I will be changing my setup at somepoint in the not to distant future (as I am growing a hedge that will eventually block this this camera) I will be replacing it with that Dahua positional PTZ camera that can look straight up at the sky - so this is just an easy on the wallet stop gap fix for me.
It's important to note that there's more to a camera than the image itself... Including both firmware and Hardware reliability.... the purpose of my post is to warn others about buying this brand..... If I had a dollar for everytime one of these garbage Brands claim to have upgraded parts that can solve your issue..... But you're welcome to throw good money after bad...

CrusaderNZ

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Noted. I get your point. I wouldn't advise someone to buy the new version of the complete camera over say a Dahua model either.

This has however served me well over the last 2.5 years during the day and has had no mechanical problems, so it is worth the comparatively small amount of money to me to see if this module will keep it running and also give the night vision an upgrade in the process - which is the main weakness of H.264 non-STARVIS version.

I will report my findings here at any rate, so other existing owners can determine whether or not it is worth buying the upgraded module for their cameras.

rubb3rtoe

n3wb
Reaction score
Noted. I get your point. I wouldn't advise someone to buy the new version of the complete camera over say a Dahua model either.

This has however served me well over the last 2.5 years during the day and has had no mechanical problems, so it is worth the comparatively small amount of money to me to see if this module will keep it running and also give the night vision an upgrade in the process - which is the main weakness of H.264 non-STARVIS version.

I will report my findings here at any rate, so other existing owners can determine whether or not it is worth buying the upgraded module for their cameras.

Thanks for posting about the recently updated firmware. I did the upgrade and have the same results. Less bloom, but not as sharp as before at night. Looking fwd to your results on STRAVIS, appreciate it.