SUNBA 1080P HD, PoE+, 20X - 601-D20X

toomscj7

n3wb
Reaction score
I wouldn't recommend Sunba for most uses. Its not very useful at night.

*Manual exposure settings seem to not work
*IR doesn't stay off when you turn it off
*Auto focus doesn't work at max zoom. Presets do not appear to retain focus settings
*The 507 model has no upward tilt. So you have to mount it high to zoom in on things.

ShawnInPaso

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I know a guy with a sunba. Here is the latest snapshot from it:

Just sayin ...
Hey dude, that's me. My Sunba just died a sudden death after three years of otherwise okay service. Tried everything in the books to bring it back to life. The ceremony is tomorrow. RIP Sunba. :(

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hey dude, that's me. My Sunba just died a sudden death after three years of otherwise okay service. Tried everything in the books to bring it back to life. The ceremony is tomorrow. RIP Sunba. :(
Three years for a cheapie isn't bad! I was expecting much less.

Sunba too big for me. My Huisun still going well but I bought it as a cheap punt.

ShawnInPaso

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ha, good point. Getting ready to buy a Dahua (have to figure out which one). I've had a couple of Huisuns but no luck with them either. Live and learn.

dabossc7

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I own 2 Sunba 20X PTZ cameras, a Sunba HZ507-20XB and Sunba 604-D20X. Both have very poor night vision. I also have 1 of the Dahua DH-SD49225T-HN 25X PTZ cameras. The Dahua has much better night vision over the Sunba. I also just ordered another of the Dahua's and will be replacing one my Sunba's with the new Dahua when it arrives tomorrow.
I have a 507 and a 601 sunba and the night picture with ir on is way over exposed with blooming and out of focus areas I have tried all settings and only 1 think its ae setting works ok if you bring it down to like 38-39 but have to reset it for daytime so I just leave in color mode 24/7 as I have a street light to help, can you post night pictures of the 4922
thanks jeff

lulu5kamz

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a 507 and a 601 sunba and the night picture with ir on is way over exposed with blooming and out of focus areas I have tried all settings and only 1 think its ae setting works ok if you bring it down to like 38-39 but have to reset it for daytime so I just leave in color mode 24/7 as I have a street light to help, can you post night pictures of the 4922
thanks jeff
There are plenty of sample videos in the official thread for this camera:

Dahua 2MP 25x Starlight IR PTZ Network Camera (SD49225T-HN)

bctrainers

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks I found some on YouTube Nice camera but has anyone fixed the sunba507/601 night picture issue
What do you mean with the night picture issue? Are you referring to the IR's over-the-top flood-wash while zoomed?

The IR for the Sunba 601-D20X is nice - there's no denying that... but the cameras IR filter to the actual camera sensor is less than ideal.

dabossc7

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What do you mean with the night picture issue? Are you referring to the IR's over-the-top flood-wash while zoomed?

The IR for the Sunba 601-D20X is nice - there's no denying that... but the cameras IR filter to the actual camera sensor is less than ideal.

Attachments

bctrainers

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What does your cameras configuration for the parameters look like?

Here's a full zoom with the cameras IR and zoom on maximum (~300ft away)... looking at a bullfrog. I assume you're referring to the leafs being completely washed out and overexposed to the IR reflection?

2017-09-18_00-54-42_.westptz.jpg

The same zoom and settings used, looking directly north into a subdivision in town (center of camera is about 1.4mi away)...
2017-09-18_01-03-18_.westptz.jpg
(Yes, it's quite foggy looking north due to a creek or two in that area)

These are the setting used via the built in control panel...
VMS_2017-09-18_00-56-46.png

From what i can somewhat see on your two cameras snapshots, your camera for this PTZ is quite low to the ground, which will most likely cause a bit of IR "bouncing" and washing. Even more so with that street light illumination. If anything, you should consider toying with the camera IR on/off settings (preset calls: 100, 101, 102, 103).

BobbyBrown

n3wb
Reaction score
Did they mark that Dahua down just for this post :) It's sold out and back up to $500 everywhere else after you guys convinced me and the Sunba is still $317.

dabossc7

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I just ordered 2 Dahua sd 4922 @ $335 each free FedEx shipping from a different supplier 3 days ag

dabossc7

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Dragoneye security camera they were actually $328. Each and they do have the sd card slot some guys on this forum said theirs didn’t have one but I think they didn’t know how to get at it. I have a sunba 507 & 601 great day cameras but they have serious night over exposed ir issues so I will be sending them back as some as these come in

Attachments

dabossc7

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Dragoneye security camera they were actually $328. Each and they do have the sd card slot some guys on this forum said theirs didn’t have one but I think they didn’t know how to get at it. I have a sunba 507 & 601 great day cameras but they have serious night over exposed ir issues so I will be sending them back as some as these come in
That vender was on AliExpress you might have a problem with normal credit cards so just use your PayPal if you can

BobbyBrown

n3wb
Reaction score
It seems many here own Sunba camera's because they are priced so well but the night vision is acceptable but not spectacular. If they see the need some will upgrade to this model but I don't see it as a first choice IP Camera unless you are a business owner. And I don't need to read any license plates off cars at night, I just need to see if someone's in my yard. Recently I've been finding TONS of support videos from Sunba and my 2 year old Sunba PTZ is doing just great. I have been looking for a week for this great deal on this Dahua camera and it's nowhere to be found and this Sunba and even the model below it is everywhere. I imagine you'll have someone post they just bought it 3 days ago but I am not seeing it. Plus this model Sunba is sold here in the US and I can get it 2 day delivery. Sorry guys, you didn't sell me. At twice the price I didn't see the value. You can brow beat me all you want but Amazon will take it right back if I can't get it working and refund my money as soon as the UPS driver scans it on his truck.

dabossc7

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So I talked to a tech yesterday and sent some photos about the over exposure and poor focus exp with ir on and he assured me they were reducing exposure 10-20% next firmware upgrade and said if not happy he will send new starlight version early next year. I think they know they are losing lots of sales to dahua because of this issue

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I think they know they are losing lots of sales to dahua because of this issue
They are not loosing any sales to dahua...sunba doesnt even register to dahua...sunba customers simply care about 1 thing..price, and they know it.

bctrainers

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So I talked to a tech yesterday and sent some photos about the over exposure and poor focus exp with ir on and he assured me they were reducing exposure 10-20% next firmware upgrade and said if not happy he will send new starlight version early next year. I think they know they are losing lots of sales to dahua because of this issue
There is a way right now to reduce the IR-over exposure, but it's very much so, less than ideal...

- Turn on Wide Dynamic in the range of 15 to 25. My ideal was around 22-20.
- Set the AE Reference to the lower 30's. Mine is set to 34 of the default from 50.
- Day and Night NT levels have to be set to 5.

The result will be somewhat better night clarity (get a bucket of salt for that line) clarity on IR imagery.

Full zoom on my weather station...
WestPTZ 2017-11-19 07.17.51.32 PM.jpg

Granted, this CCTV (601-D20X) camera is extremely budget by all means and ways.

As for Sunba vs Dahua sales... you're comparing a tiny grocery chain to the likes of a Walmart/Sams Club. I'm fairly certain dahua wouldn't be phased remotely by such.

With that being said, am considering on a new investment in my near future... the Dahua SD6AL245U-HNI. And giving this Sunba to family to use to watch wildlife in the boonies. It's a nice little camera, but too many little quirks to jump around and over. :)