Sunba Tech Cameras

BobW55

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Interesting post.
I am not sure when mine will arrive, SUNBA is unable and China Post is unable to tell me if it shipped via SURFACE or AIR?
SURFACE 6 weeks to 6 months, Air I should have it before the end of the month go figure.
Specs from SUNBA on the camera are?

I am curious if you were using the software SUNBA supplied or some other brand?
I know the issue I have been running into is a software package that will take snap shots (not video) at preset locations.
I did find a way to use scripts to do it with, a bit tedious though. Right now I do not have plans to allow remote control other than for myself.
If and when mine gets here will try to do a good review on it. I hope it has several degrees of UP beyond horizontal as I will be using it for a sky camera not for security. If not I can always mount it upside down and put a dome on it.

Bob

mkkoskin

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
5. It can stream with RTSP (use Onvif Device Manager to find the URL) but I found this to be extremely unreliable. It can take ages to start streaming and then glitch out or stop for no reason. The Internet Explorer plugin is more reliable it seems.
Happened to test if ONVIF DM PTZ control worked?

BobW55

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Camera arrived today, just as I was leaving for work.
Will try to write something up this weekend.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I have asked the seller two questions:
me said:
1. Is there a way to make the camera goto a preset position, using a HTTP web request? I can make it pan, tilt, or zoom using the same commands used by a browser like Chrome or Firefox but I can't make it go to a preset position.
2. Can the camera host a jpeg snapshot of the current frame? I have tried all the usual URLs but none return a snapshot.
18 minutes later:

the seller said:
Dear friend,it is midnight in China now,i will tell our techincal staff about this tomorrow.
we will help you solve your problems
yours
annie
Next day:
the seller said:
Dear friend ,about your quesions
we are working on the first one
the second :
The camera itself can't host a jpeg snapshot , unless there is a built-in TF card, or drawings uploaded to FTP or email way through the Internet to send out attachment.
Yours
Annie
So from this I gather that 3rd party software can't send the camera to a preset position, and 3rd party software like Blue Iris will be required to get snapshots out of it.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I am curious if you were using the software SUNBA supplied or some other brand?
They didn't send my friend links to the software so we just used the web interface and the activex plugin that is included for internet explorer. The other browsers all got stuck with lesser PTZ functionality. You get the 4 standard directions up, down, left, right, plus 4 diagonals, zoom, iris, and focus controls. I didn't even try the iris and focus controls so I don't know if they work. The ActiveX plugin in internet explorer gives you more controls like the ability to set and goto presets. I tried fiddler2 to sniff the traffic but it couldn't capture the traffic from the plugin. I did not bother installing wireshark to investigate further since I've seen activex controls like this before and they all use some non-standard communication protocol and I don't want to waste my time trying to reverse engineer it.

In other words, it is going to be practically impossible to achieve your preset-snapshot-ftp timed sequence at least until they build new firmware that provides HTTP GET request support for PTZ presets.

Happened to test if ONVIF DM PTZ control worked?
Yes, I did, and it worked partially. It was not able to do presets or home or absolute position or relative position. Only the most basic controls worked.

I managed to get RTSP working more reliably after finding the setting for network fluency and changing it to "Adaptive". Again, this could only be set using the ActiveX plugin. If you install their desktop software it would probably provide the same options.

BobW55

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Managed to get the provided software running and to connect to the camera. Nice clear image. Ran out of time tp play with it more.

BobW55

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Have it running with the clunky provided software. It is slow to respond and freezes.
Installed Blue Iris, can not get blue iris to connect, still working on it.

BobW55

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Which web browser are you using?
Chrome and Internet explorer wont connect to it for me

BobW55

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have internet explorer now working, thank you.
Blue Iris I can not get it to connect.
I-Spy will kind of connect, at least the SUNBA in in their list, but not the 705-20XC
Have the manufactures software running, but no ability to take a snap shot, or turn on/off the IR leds that I have found so far.

BobW55

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Have the SUNBA software working pretty well. kind of hard to find which settings to change. Was very sluggish at first but have it much smoother now.
Still looking for a way to take a MANUAL (click a button) snap shot. Have not tried the auto tracking yet.

Found out if you RIGHT CLICK on the screen, snap shot option shows up. Takes a single picture and opens your gallery to see it.
uses camera name date time.jpg for the file name.

Interesting conversation going on with the manufacture trying to iron out some bugs. At least they are being very responsive.

Last edited by a moderator:

BobW55

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
yup, firefox worked like a champ.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
It is unfortunate that so many Chinese developers are a decade (at least) out of date with modern web standards and rely on an Activex control for practically all camera functions. This camera isn't quite as dependent on Activex as some others I have, though!

BobW55

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
After many text back and forth, and suggesting some changes to their "CHINGLISH" manual, I have just about everything working with the supplied software.
I have not yet tried to FTP any video or have I tried the motion detect. The camera is sitting on the wall in my basement, will be a few days before I can get it out side.

For a quick review:
The camera is about the size of a softball, and weighs a few pounds. I am not yet sure if all the connections will fit inside the mounting bracket of if I will have to devise a waterproof box to put them in. This would not be an issue if you are mounting on a wall and can bring the wires inside right away. Mine will be U clamped to my tower, so I have to be a bit cleaver with the wires.
VIDEO quality is excellent. the 20x zoom is able to retain the focus except when zooming on the highest speed. Pan and tilt are fast enough for my means, I do not have another camera to compare to. The IR Lights are amazingly bright and allow clear pictures at night (more when I get the sucker outside).
Only sort of backwards thing with the supplied software, to change some settings, you have to use some of the preset locations. Preset 1-50 is for camera positioning, the rest have to do with which tour it is using and other camera/IR led settings.

I have not gotten Blue Iris to connect as of yet, I think this is due to the fact I am a novice with IP cameras.
Ispy actually list this camera "507-20XC" in their support list and does connect to it.
FireFox is the only browser I can get to connect with in my wired network. I have NOT tried any WWW remote viewing as of yet.
When I get this mounted outside, I will do a photo review with some video.
I am pleased with the performance so far, and the support has been excellent, in spite of the language barrier.

BobW55

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not sure how this compares to other camera's, but the IR lights are very noticeable.

Attachments