Sunset Cam Recommendation

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm looking for recommendations for an upgrade to my beach camera. Currently, I am using a Ubiquiti G3 Flex. I'd like to look for a camera with better image quality. The camera is solely used to watch the sunset and approaching storms remotely. I don't use it to record, only to watch live view. Night vision doesn't matter because when the sun goes down, it's pitch black and there's nothing to look at. The reason I went with Ubiquiti to begin with was 1) G3 Flex is inexpensive and 2) Mobile viewing is really easy with Ubiquiti's mobile applications and video.ui.com access.

I've looked at Ubiquiti's new G4 Pro, which looks like a beautiful camera, but it is pricey at $450. Ease of remote viewing is paramount in any upgrade that I might choose.

Does anyone have thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks,

CS

UVC G3 Flex - Apr 17 '19 10_07_02 AM.jpg

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
when the sun goes down, it's pitch black and there's nothing to look at
the 4239 will give you something to look at when the sun goes down, tho daytime resolution is no better than Ubiquity G3...

Another option might be the 1831 bullet:
IPC-HFW1831E
8MP with bigger sensor still has better low-light chops than the G3...

Reaction score
I finally had some time to dig through the specs of these cameras. Both look like great recommendations. Any chance you could please shed some light as to why you both recommended Dahua vs Hikvision or any of the other manufacturers? Looks like Hikvision has a comparable 8MP non-IR cam (DS-2CD2085FWD-I) and a 3 MP ultra low light bullet cam (DS-2CD2035FWD-I).

Those nighttime images from the 4239 are amazing. It would be really nice to see a side by side nighttime image comparison of the 4239 and 1831. Thanks all.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
the 1831 wins during the day, due to higher resolution on a big sensor.
the 4239 wins at night hands-down, no question, drop-the-mike.

there are of course 8mp and low-light 2mp cams form Hikvision as well.
check out the IPCT cams (rebranded hiks). The 8mp I tested briefly was
on-par with the1831, maybe somewhat better overall...
IPCT - 8 MP(4K) Starlight IR Fixed Bullet, Camera Powered by Night Eye

wildlifecam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm looking for a new camera for remote monitoring of sunrises and sunsets. Ideally it exposes for the lights, midtones, darks and combines them into a single wide dynamic range frame. Is there a camera out there that would fit the bill?

Reaction score
I never found one that works better than “Ok.” If I tune it for beautiful sunsets, the daytime image is too dark. If I tune for a nice daytime image, the sunset is blown out. When it switches to night mode it’s fine. Most challenging part for me has been adapting to differing conditions during “day” mode.

usaf_pride

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You will never get what you want because these are "Security" cameras, not film cameras. Have you tried scheduling different profiles for different times of the day?

wildlifecam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Film cameras have been obsolete for a very long time. IPcams can be used for security, sports, family events, wildlife, landscapes, and anything else that a camera or video camera might be used for. Yes, the sensor is small so that limits the dynamic range but that is true for most smart phone cameras too. Because an IPcam is usually stationary it is a good candidate for multi-exposure HDR (usually called WDR on IPcams). If it doesn't exist today it is a niche just begging to be filled.