Support ended now evaluation version

TomF

n3wb
Reaction score
My support ended on the 7th and I instinctively updated my version when I opened BI and my cameras now say evaluation version. Is there any way to roll back to before the upgrade. Me being lazy I just paid for the support for another year but I am sure this has happened to others.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
My support ended on the 7th and I instinctively updated my version when I opened BI and my cameras now say evaluation version. Is there any way to roll back to before the upgrade. Me being lazy I just paid for the support for another year but I am sure this has happened to others.
Blue iris 5 was released on June 1, 2019 so your support should not have ended until June 1 2020 unless you were carrying over priority support from V4 and got a free upgrade to v5. Regardless, although technically the Blue Iris website indicates (and has in the past for v4 as well) that you get free minor updates for 1 year, in the past he was always providing them free. This is the first I have heard of a system reverting to demo mode because of support lapsing. My guess is there is some other issue with the license key and it manifested after a license check during the update.

b0bthebuilder

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Blue iris 5 was released on June 1, 2019 so your support should not have ended until June 1 2020 unless you were carrying over priority support from V4 and got a free upgrade to v5. Regardless, although technically the Blue Iris website indicates (and has in the past for v4 as well) that you get free minor updates for 1 year, in the past he was always providing them free. This is the first I have heard of a system reverting to demo mode because of support lapsing. My guess is there is some other issue with the license key and it manifested after a license check during the update.
seems to be a bug with version 5.2.7.10 and will most likely be fixed when 5.2.7.11 comes out in a few hours time (or grab an older version here: Blue Iris Updates (64 bit) - History )

chochy

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm seeing the same thing. I bought Blue Iris on 4/22/19, and thought I would get updates for free. I ended up buying a year maintenance and support.

chochy

n3wb
Reaction score
What happened in your case and when?
I upgraded from 5.2.5.6 to 5.2.7.10 and afterwords all my cameras had a BI Evaluation Mode water mark on my cameras. I was able to downgrade to remove the watermark, but I wanted the support for H.265 which was included in the latest release. No worries, I don't mind supporting the software developer.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I upgraded from 5.2.5.6 to 5.2.7.10 and afterwords all my cameras had a BI Evaluation Mode water mark on my cameras. I was able to downgrade to remove the watermark, but I wanted the support for H.265 which was included in the latest release. No worries, I don't mind supporting the software developer.
I’m just trying to determine if this was intentional. As noted earlier in the past he would provide the updates regardless. If it was intentional I would think he would noted in the release notes and give you a warning before updating. It just seems odd that he would make this change In a minor update.

DsineR

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes, looks intentional after 5.2.7.10 update...

Attachments

DsineR

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What makes you think it wasn't? No overlay prior to update, after update 'Eval' spam on all windows.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Same here with .10. I suppose we wait to see if it changes or something new with extended support.

DsineR

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I’m just trying to determine if this was intentional. As noted earlier in the past he would provide the updates regardless. If it was intentional I would think he would noted in the release notes and give you a warning before updating. It just seems odd that he would make this change In a minor update.
Agree, does seem odd - nothing in the release notes, no warning or noted change in policy.
I understand if there is a change, just a really bad way of implementing.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Has anyone contacted BI, Ken, about this? My guess, an it's only a suess, is that it's an "oh shit" booboo that slipped by him.

Last edited: