System Recommendation

Meanie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
A friend wants to install cameras in her home to keep watch on her stroke impacted son and the nursing care who will tend to him on a daily basis. For something that important, my recommendation would be a POE system but I don't know all the details of her needs just yet except she wants to view on her phone. I assume a POE is more reliable compared to wireless as far as interruptions go. Anyway, I want to help here with a VERY easy set up and maintenance of a small system and seeking suggestions.

Appreciate any help.

Thank you

drew91101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Most of the systems you are going to come across on this forum and most of the recommendations that people will give you are going to be POE based IP cameras. How many cameras do you want? As far as ease of instillation, wired ethernet may not be the easiest to set-up without experience. If you think she is capable of running cat5/6 cable, terminating the ends, and setting-up the NVR with minimal customer service, you can absolutely find some answers here.
Post some more specifics on what you are looking for.

Meanie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Most of the systems you are going to come across on this forum and most of the recommendations that people will give you are going to be POE based IP cameras. How many cameras do you want? As far as ease of instillation, wired ethernet may not be the easiest to set-up without experience. If you think she is capable of running cat5/6 cable, terminating the ends, and setting-up the NVR with minimal customer service, you can absolutely find some answers here.
Post some more specifics on what you are looking for.
After I speak with her about her needs, I'll reply back.

Thank you

jasauders

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If at all possible I'd recommend the POE route. Two of my cameras are 3 megapixel cameras that are wifi+POE, meaning I can either POE them or power them via an outlet and transmit the feeds wirelessly. When I ran wirelessly I had a lot of drops, a lot of disconnects, etc (and that's even considering I had a pretty darn good router). In the end I ran lines to them and POE'd them. I don't think they've dropped in the 10-11 months since doing that.

I know it's not a glorious solution in terms of simplicity (since plugging in to an outlet and leveraging wireless is an attractive thing to ignore) but if this situation is aiming for an extreme level of functionality and consistency, it's going to be your best bet.

BarkityBark

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is there no easy way to order products listed on the Dahua website? Not even Google (Shopping) can find the majority of these current models available for sale AT ALL. Are we then thrown to take chances on Chinese web sellers, and hope things turn out?

“Doubt everything or believe everything: these are two equally convenient strategies. With either we dispense with the need for reflection.”
- Henri Poincare

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Is there no easy way to order products listed on the Dahua website? Not even Google (Shopping) can find the majority of these current models available for sale AT ALL. Are we then thrown to take chances on Chinese web sellers, and hope things turn out?

“Doubt everything or believe everything: these are two equally convenient strategies. With either we dispense with the need for reflection.”
- Henri Poincare
Dahau does not sell cameras..you need to buy from a distributor...If you buy from us based distributors expect to pay about double..

BarkityBark

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Dahau does not sell cameras..you need to buy from a distributor...If you buy from us based distributors expect to pay about double..
Understood, but still does not answer my question please. I noted one or two Chinese direct sellers actually here in the forum offering discounts to members, but they seem inundated with message traffic about orders, etc., and I'm just looking for a reputable and responsible way to order what I need.

As far as paying double for a USA seller, yeah, I get that completely, but those don't even exist for the majority of Dahua's current products. Perhaps I should just buy lots of the most popular models directly through Alibaba or Dahua itself, pay the import tax, and resell at a reasonable (not double) markup? It's an idea.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I noted one or two Chinese direct sellers actually here in the forum offering discounts to members, but they seem inundated with message traffic about orders, etc., and I'm just looking for a reputable and responsible way to order what I need.
So how does that exclude them from your source selection? I don't follow.

BarkityBark

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So how does that exclude them from your source selection? I don't follow.
I'm sorry, it doesn't at all. It merely seems that so many posts appear unanswered that I wondered what kind of communication I can expect as a customer, that's all. Tell me specifically who to order from, and I will. Thanks.

Want these products please:

1. NVR5216-4KS2 (or satisfactory alternate, as it is listed as 'discontinued' in some places and not on the Dahua website current models list)
2. IPC-HDW5231R-Z

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
It merely seems that so many posts appear unanswered that I wondered what kind of communication I can expect as a customer, that's all.
Well, it has been Chinese New Year for a while - this is the last week.
And prior to that - my impression is a very responsive seller, considering the volume of input he has been getting.
And I expect that many dialogues revert to private when they get into detail.

BarkityBark

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well, it has been Chinese New Year for a while - this is the last week.
And prior to that - my impression is a very responsive seller, considering the volume of input he has been getting.
And I expect that many dialogues revert to private when they get into detail.
Oh, party animals, huh? ;-)

Which forum seller were you referring to please?

Thanks,
Jim