The 1st Amendment Thread

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
While this guy is a Russian, it illustrates an interesting issue when it comes to the platforms we depend on for speech ..

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Jordan Peterson Shuts Down DANGEROUS Anti-American Congressman
Zach Costello

Mar 9, 2024
Jordan Peterson testified before US Congress and during the session Democratic Congressman from New York Dan Goldman said the quiet part out loud and stated the first amendment, you know freedom of religion, freedom of speech, freedom of the press, and freedom to assemble is NOT absolute and can be taken away in certain circumstances like the spread of misinformation. What a control freak…

Check this out, then I'll show you Jordan Petersons response, and finish with a brief comment on why we absolutely DO NOT want the government to have this type of control over our lives….

1710105730504.png

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How do you stand on the banning of Tik-Tok? I am torn....I don't use it, no one in my family uses it and I don't allow my kids to view it. However, to ban it? IDK.

View attachment 189287
TikTok .. most certainly CCP has it's controls in them .. and the CCP will not allow USA corporations the same access in China .. so I'm good with reciprocation. ( banning tiktok .. as China would not allow us to have the same access to the Chinese population )

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

She does have some good points ..

1. If we are concerned about people’s privacy and data then why aren’t we protecting it universally from every company stealing their data and invading their privacy?

Yes, privacy is important .. and yes we should have standards for all the companies on this topic .. ( isn't every company a tech company in some way now ? )

Yet, "One more thing, I’m typing this on my Apple phone. How many other members of congress have Apple phones made in China?"

hmm .. she is clearly not properly addressing the main issue ..

It's about the ability on a macro level, as well as micro level to dramatically influence the US and other nation states.

China knows this, and that is why no USA company has the same level of control in "social media" companies in China.
( believe me, Google, Yahoo and others did try to enter the Chinese market .. )

Foreign adversary .. China is a friendemy

From a independent Nation State pov .. you really do not want foreign adversaries to control your avenues of speech .. ( media )
( probably also applies to major e-commerce platforms and shipping data .. )

1710351158075.png

text:

Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene
@repmtg
1d
·
I have concerns with the Tik Tok ban bill.

1. If we are concerned about people’s privacy and data then why aren’t we protecting it universally from every company stealing their data and invading their privacy?

2. This one bothers me. This bill forces the sale of a company owned by an “enemy.” While I certainly will always do everything in my power to protect Americans and put America first, who and which company may become the enemy tomorrow?
We have seen the government choose which speech is accepted and which speech is hate speech and which speech is misinformation and which speech is not accepted.
Then through DHS, tell social media and big tech who to censor and who to shadow ban, while the accepted “good” speech was promoted widely.
We watched Democrats and the media cheer for violent BLM riots for months in 2020 and drop over 95% of charges then Biden’s DOJ turn and continuously prosecute J6 protesters, including nonviolent and those who never entered the Capitol. Now J6’ers have been named an enemy and domestic terrorists by our government.
In other words, once we go down this road, who’s to say that a future congress and admin won’t declare a company to be owned by an “enemy” purely based on politics and speech that current admin doesn’t like? Like X or Truth Social.

3. When Tik Tok is sold, who will buy it? And why is the expectation that it will be better?
If it’s Meta, the content will be very unlikely to change, therefore all the conservatives, who think this bill will protect our children, will be greatly disappointed when it doesn’t change at all. The same gender lies are all over Instagram just like they are on Tik Tok.
Lastly, who gets rich when elected members of congress vote to force ByteDance to sell Tik Tok? Which investment company and investors? Are any of them elected? Bill sponsors/cosponsors? Just asking.

4. If we want to be tough on China, why don’t we move our critical supply chain to be made in America? Why don’t we ban the green new deal which forces America to rely on China for EV batteries? Why don’t we become energy independent again by opening up drilling all over America and rebuilding every sector of fossil fuel energy in the U.S. and dominate the world? Why don’t we make decisions that strengthen our dollar?

5. If as parents, we don’t like what our children are being exposed to then why don’t we be parents and stop our children from being exposed to it?

6. This might confuse some but others will get it. Lastly as a Christian, I like what Jesus did. He had dinner with sinners because he came to save them.

One more thing, I’m typing this on my Apple phone. How many other members of congress have Apple phones made in China?

ref:
1710351915928.png

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
She's DIRECTLY addressing the issue, and correctly IMHO

Google
Microsoft
Bookface
Twatter
Apple
MANY fortune 500 companies
and the biggest culprit- the US Government
.......ALL do all of the same things as TicTac.

You open that door, and banning Twitter because Musk owns it and is considered a right wing terrorist next week, becomes easy.

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
She's DIRECTLY addressing the issue, and correctly IMHO

Google
Microsoft
Bookface
Twatter
Apple
MANY fortune 500 companies
and the biggest culprit- the US Government

-ALL do all of the same things as TicTac.

You open that door, and banning Twitter because Musk owns it and is considered a right wing terrorist next week, becomes easy.
Yes, however .. foreign influence has historically been treated significantly different than domestic influence ..

recall the Yellow Journalism that reportedly helped the US get involved in the Spanish American war .. ( which appears to have been ok back then .. )

1710356646476.png

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
KInda like how our government used the Gulf of Tonkin incident or "Weapons of mass destruction"?

I get it, but at this point I'm wayyyyyyyyyyyyy more concerned about MY government and big businesses than I am China or Russia, Russia, Russia

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This illustrates a great point, .. when the gate keepers to a "private" space are corrupt / incompetent .. who do you turn to for balance / justice ?

Youtube .. is owned by a private company .. and thus there are questions if / how the 1st Amendment applies to them.

also considerations of Section 230 of Title 47 applies somehow ..

This brings up a very good question .. which is the concentration of Media .. honestly , we really need someone other than one of the big Social Media giants to own and manage TikTok ..

Perhaps they should give it to "X" ( aka formerly known as Twitter ) to manage ..

Anders Puck Nielsen
7 hours ago
YouTube has limited the monetization on my latest video "Information war against Russia", because apparently the content is not advertiser friendly. After manual review YouTube found that the video violates the following guideline: "Graphic law enforcement such as visible injuries; Dead bodies with obvious injury or damage in educational or documentary settings (such as history learning channel); Graphic game violence in thumbnail or early on in the content; Raw footage of armed conflict without injuries; Description of graphic details of tragedies. Dramatized content displaying severe and shocking injuries." Can anyone help me understand what I did wrong? It is literally just a video of me standing on a hill somewhere in southern Germany. Is it because there is a clip of a nuclear explosion in the intro trailer? The problem with videos being limited is not so much the money, but that the video will not be recommended by the algorithm. It dramatically reduces the reach of the video. So I have been wondering if there is a new campaign against pro-Ukrainian channels going on where videos are reported by a bunch of trolls no matter what the contents are. Are other channels experiencing the same? I have never had problems with this before, but in the last week several of my videos have been limited. I won the appeal on the other ones, but apparently the German forest was too "graphic".
Show less

1710432576011.png

looks like the issue is to be expected when you crowd source veto power and have poor gatekeepers

1710433138909.png

ref:

1710432829275.png

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
KInda like how our government used the Gulf of Tonkin incident or "Weapons of mass destruction"?

I get it, but at this point I'm wayyyyyyyyyyyyy more concerned about MY government and big businesses than I am China or Russia, Russia, Russia
100% yup ..

Laws making too many hammers to use against the people ..

I believe we need to reduce the number of laws we have .. liked Trumps concept of make a new law, get rid of 2 ..

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ryan McBeth just posted this today .. and I do agree with the general principles he shared, however this also applies to other internet connected applications, devices, ..

As a society which loves individual freedoms and rights, there's a lot of questions this brings up ..
( recall a book called "Database Nation" .. )

TikTok is a Cyberweapon and Needs to be Stopped.

1710450132773.png
1710450258361.png

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Actually very interesting how much TikTok knows about the people on the platform ..

TikTok is a Cyberweapon
Ryan McBeth

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
The Google has them beat by a long shot. Google/FB and their subsidiary's, Youtube and more importantly Doubleclick. already know your underwear size, where and what you eat, what kind of gas you use, and what nights of the week your wife gives you playtime.

It will take the Chinese a decade to catch up

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The Google has them beat by a long shot. Google/FB and their subsidiary's, Youtube and more importantly Doubleclick. already know your underwear size, where and what you eat, what kind of gas you use, and what nights of the week your wife gives you playtime.

It will take the Chinese a decade to catch up
Doubleclick .. been awhile since I recall hearing about them ..

need to add :
Amazon, Visa / Mastercard ..