The official "WTF" thread

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Dennis the Menace dead at 81. Burn in hell Dennis.

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Can a Snake Really Cross a Horsehair Rope? | You Asked For It

Loved "You Asked For It" with Art Baker when I was 8 or 9 in the 50's.
BTW, that's somewhat of a flawed test.....the rope is purported to keep snakes OUT of the circle, not IN. :wtf:

Besides, if I was a snake and I suddenly found myself on the ground after being confined in a closed-lid box in Castaic, California for God knows how long with a bunch of other snakes I'm headed for cover, rope or no rope! :lmao:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Old tires are the best breeding device ever created for mosquitoes....they hold rainwater that stagnates.:headbang:
and Tires are so hard to get water out without a tool ( that is can not easily flip them )

Loved "You Asked For It" with Art Baker when I was 8 or 9 in the 50's.
BTW, that's somewhat of a flawed test.....the rope is purported to keep snakes OUT of the circle, not IN. :wtf:

Besides, if I was a snake and I suddenly found myself on the ground after being confined in a closed-lid box in Castaic, California for God knows how long with a bunch of other snakes I'm headed for cover, rope or no rope! :lmao:
Good point @TonyR

I was thinking of that when watching it. They did change the question a bit for their demonstration.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I love it!
But I wonder how he can run it with the valve covers off and the oil not coming out? :idk:
I thought the same thing, haha, but it was kewl watching those little values go...

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
Someone asked about lubrication of the little motor. Remember in the
early days of racing, the Oiler/Mechanic sat with the driver and crawled
all over the auto. His job oil the top end. Even "aeroplanes" of the day were bare
spitting out castor oil into the face and mouth of the pilots with the consequences
that would soon erupt!
A Sopwith Camel engine.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Someone asked about lubrication of the little motor. Remember in the
early days of racing, the Oiler/Mechanic sat with the driver and crawled
all over the auto. His job oil the top end. Even "aeroplanes" of the day were bare
spitting out castor oil into the face and mouth of the pilots with the consequences
that would soon erupt!
A Sopwith Camel engine.
Reminds me of this....
It was 1968 and when I was an Airman Apprentice (E-1) in boot camp and in training I'd be on the ground crew for the C-54's, old 4 engine Douglas transports with Curtis-Wright radials. I'd drive up in the NC-5 generator, engage the generator, hook it up to the plane, pilot would get #1 engine started for the hydraulics and on-board generator, I'd disconnect the NC-5, pull out the landing gear pins and the tail pole at the rear, then climb up a rope ladder to the cargo door.

If there was a lot of gear onboard the pilot would lock the brakes, hit the throttles good to compress the nose gear, lifting the tail so I could get the tail pole out.

Sometimes I'd man a fire bottle (fire extinguisher) next to #1 engine and someone else would operate the NC-5. Regardless of where you stood or worked those old radials threw out more oil than they burned, gaskets and seals wore slap out; the old planes were almost 30 years old. I had one special white hat and a pair of dungarees I wore for such occasions, they were covered in oil that just never really would come out even after laundering. The hat was gray instead of white and you could smell the dungarees from 20 feet away! :lmao:

Last edited:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Reminds me of this....
It was 1968 and when I was an Airman Apprentice (E-1) in boot camp and in training I'd be on the ground crew for the C-54's, old 4 engine Douglas transports with Curtis-Wright radials. I'd drive up in the NC-5 generator, start it, hook it up to the plane, pilot would get #1 engine started for the hydraulics and on-board generator, I'd disconnect the NC-5, pull out the landing gear pins and the tail pole at the rear, then climb up a rope ladder to the cargo door.

If there was a lot of gear onboard the pilot would lock the brakes, hit the throttles good to compress the nose gear, lifting the tail so I could get the tail pole out.

Sometimes I'd man a fire bottle (fire extinguisher) next to #1 engine and someone else would operate the NC-5. Regardless of where you stood or worked those old radials threw out more oil than they burned, gaskets and seals wore slap out; the old planes were almost 30 years old. I had one special white hat and a pair of dungarees I wore for such occasions, they were covered in oil that just never really would come out even after laundering. The hat was gray instead of white and you could smell the dungarees from 20 feet away! :lmao:
Here is a 9 cylinder Radial: