The situation on the West Coast

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I want to comment on the video in the post above. Affected by (but not threatened) by the fires, I was pretty surprised by what this video is saying about the big southern Oregon (Almeda) fire being intentionally set. My first thought was "Why isn't this all over the local news?". Turns out it is, but in a very different way. While this video leaves you thinking in no uncertain terms that the Almeda fire was arson, the other reports say that a separate fire, later swallowed up by the Almeda fire, was arson. The other reports also suggest that the deaths are not tied to the arson fire.

I don't know any of this first hand. Either the more local reports are wrong, or the national media has used weasel words and selective editing to once again create a sensational false picture.

Sheriff: Arson arrest made in Phoenix on the night Almeda Fire began
Man charged with arson in Almeda fire
Man arrested, charged with arson in connection with southern Oregon fire

BobRegnar

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I don't know any of this first hand. Either the more local reports are wrong, or the national media has used weasel words and selective editing to once again create a sensational false picture.
Typical MSM reporting conflating multiple stories and making it impossible to distinguish facts from fiction. They made a point of inserting Gavin Newsom blaming climate change so maybe that was the main point of their report?

Citizen Alert in the area was pretty useless as was the local news when needed. Power outages didn't help either. Hot and dry all summer plus lightning plus high winds equals wildfires, let alone the arsonist.

And another bad fire in Happy Camp, CA.(NW CA/OR border) Forest mismanagement is the worst factor. Logging bans means no clearing of dead and down trees and underbrush and no log deck landings and no skid trails which become shelter/staging areas and fire access roads for firefighters when needed. Instead many millions of dollars of timber lost to fires and the loss of property and life that usually comes with them.

BORIStheBLADE

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Typical MSM reporting conflating multiple stories and making it impossible to distinguish facts from fiction. They made a point of inserting Gavin Newsom blaming climate change so maybe that was the main point of their report?

Citizen Alert in the area was pretty useless as was the local news when needed. Power outages didn't help either. Hot and dry all summer plus lightning plus high winds equals wildfires, let alone the arsonist.

And another bad fire in Happy Camp, CA.(NW CA/OR border) Forest mismanagement is the worst factor. Logging bans means no clearing of dead and down trees and underbrush and no log deck landings and no skid trails which become shelter/staging areas and fire access roads for firefighters when needed. Instead many millions of dollars of timber lost to fires and the loss of property and life that usually comes with them.
Next argument I get into with my wife I'm gonna use this climate change excuse like Newsome and see if it works for me as well..

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score

As West Coast Burns, Leftists Blame "Climate Damn Emergency"; There Are Just 2 Things...

Environmentalism is why California stopped grooming forests or doing controlled burns to get rid of deadwood (AKA tinder). It was because of environmentalism that PG&E poured all of its money into building renewable energy facilities, such as the solar facilities that failed during California's recent heat wave, and stopped repairing old power lines (some going back 90 years) or trimming back tinder around those power lines. All this misbegotten environmentalism has controlled California even as more people have moved into fire zones over the past several decades.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Although you may have a point about tinder and forests not being managed, that is a failure of Government rather than green policies. Also, if climate change wasn't occurring, you wouldn't be experiencing such long hot spells with low rainfall. I'd suggest the issue here is a combination of environmental and governmental failures. Properly managed forest and more rainfall would both contribute to preventing large wildfires occuring and them being extinguished naturall when they did occur.

BobRegnar

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Although you may have a point about tinder and forests not being managed, that is a failure of Government rather than green policies.
In the life of this planet 150 years of recording temperatures is equivalent to recording a single second of an entire year. So was that second, that the current science and predictions are based on, recorded at noon in July or at dawn in January?

The planet has been colder and hotter before humans were interfering. Get China, Russia and India to clean up their acts then we can see if it matters.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
In the life of this planet 150 years of recording temperatures is equivalent to recording a single second of an entire year. So was that second, that the current science and predictions are based on, recorded at noon in July or at dawn in January?

The planet has been colder and hotter before humans were interfering. Get China, Russia and India to clean up their acts then we can see if it matters.

The planet has been colder and hotter than before but a lot of that was triggered by CO2 emmissions from volcanic activity. It's no coincidence that the ice ages have followed periods of high volcanic activity. Even if it were simply another part of the natural cycle, which I don't accept, then should we still not try to do something to stop it? Do you really want to live in a country ravaged by drought, fires, searing heat and then potentially an ice age? Not many would survive an ice age because for all the modern systems we have such as heating, not that infrastructure would likley cope with ice age temperatures, the big issue would be food. There's no where on earth where food could be grown under snow in 10's of degrees below zero, so the simple fact is the majority would starve and if you could find food, do you really want to live your life out in an artic tundra so cold you can't go out for more than a few minutes even with the best artic clothing, even assuming you can get the latter (it's no exactly in stock down your local dept store)? Not going to be much of a life stuck in a world of ice and snow, no trees, no vegatation, no lakes, no rivers, no sea, no beaches, no animals, no food and no modern life.

The biggest problem you have with climate change, is Governments are only interested if they can use it as an excuse to raise taxes.