The situation on the West Coast

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for that @samplenhold . Those have been my thoughts for years regarding global warming/climate change and I'm not an engineer or have any formal education, other than a good grade and high school, education. The giveaway for me was when I found out the original research was based on the rings from one tree in Siberia, or somewhere, that matched what they wanted to be able to conclude. The thousands of other trees they sampled didn't match so they threw out that data and never mentioned it.

The same goes with green energy. The energy, power, needed to produce those components is not insignificant. Then there's the energy required to safely dispose of it all when it reaches end of life usefulness. Again, a big giveaway was not being able to find out if that was all factored in to the "efficiency" of hybrid cars, let alone battery powered cars. More smoke and mirrors to maintain the flow of money into the hands of people out to make a buck from nothing worthwhile.

I'm not a climate denier, either. Yes the climate is changing without a doubt. That's what it does. To me, thinking that the human race has enough power and brains to be able to influence it in any meaningful way is a bigger job than the ant moving the rubber tree plant.

Last edited:

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
In an interesting coincidence, PBS just ran a show about a huge Montana/Idaho fire in 1910. This is some of the text from wikipedia (there are plenty of other sites with info):

"the spring and summer of 1910 were extremely dry, and the summer sufficiently hot to have been described as "like no others." The drought resulted in forests that were teeming with dry fuel, which had previously grown up on abundant autumn and winter moisture"
Great Fire of 1910 - Wikipedia

Looks like the same conditions that liberals blame on man made global warming happened over 100 years ago, before man made global warming was around. If this exact situation happened today, they'd say in no uncertain terms that it was caused by man made global warming, even though history says it can (and did) occur without.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
As an individual, unless super rich, you have nothing to lose by making lifesytle changes. Better insualtion and a more efficient boiler / solar, saves you money. An electric car or moreefficient one, does the same. LED light bulbs are waybrighter than even halogen, nevermind filament, but use around 1/5th the electricity and last way longer, what's not to like? Changing away from a 60's boiler and changing all the ligh bulbs in my house saved me 70% of my energy bill overnight.
I agree with all of this except the electric car theory. Most of our power grids are powered by coal, not renewable energy, so your electric car is likely a coal powered car, which is much dirtier than gasoline, especially when you factor in the very low emissions of newer cars. The strain on the environment mining and disposing of that lithium is no joke either.

Electric cars mean well, but the technology is not there yet to make an impact.

BORIStheBLADE

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
And California can’t keep the power on consistently. So what happens to electric cars when there is no electricity to charge them?
I've laughed the last 10+ years with everyone in CA putting solar panels on their house to save money but the majority I've talked to didn't know that when the grid goes down they still won't have power. I guess they all thought their home would have power from the solar system. :rolleyes:

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
I've laughed the last 10+ years with everyone in CA putting solar panels on their house to save money but the majority I've talked to didn't know that when the grid goes down they still won't have power. I guess they all thought their home would have power from the solar system. :rolleyes:
Now they need to get a generator so their solar panels will work. :):D:p:rofl:
Oh and it's powered by gas.

BORIStheBLADE

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Haha, what is the cost breakeven point for this, 20 years? Even after the tax credits. Renewables are a joke. They make people think they are doing something good.
When I did the math 10+ years ago the math took us to 20 years. Now energy has gone up and solar panels have become a little more efficient but thats assuming you don't need to replace any by then also..

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
When I did the math 10+ years ago the math took us to 20 years. Now energy has gone up and solar panels have become a little more efficient but thats assuming you don't need to replace any by then also..
I looked into it myself in 2016 and my breakeven was almost 30 years in the northern midwest, assuming no repairs like you said. No thanks.