The Typical picture of a Perp on Nextdoor-type Apps with Consumer Grade Cameras like Ring, Nest, Arlo, Canary, Wyze, etc.

Reaction score
A house rehabber in Houston had about $2500 worth of brand-new appliances stolen out of a home he was working on. They had just been delivered a that afternoon, were still in the boxes, inside the locked house.

But fear not, he has video of the whole thing, courtesy of Reolink!

Now really, can you tell me anything about this entity? Human? Male? Female?
Reolink 1.JPG

I guess you can tell the truck is a Toyota Tundra. But the guy walking to the back yard is barely visible.
Reolink 3.JPG

This shot has this guy barely moving. Not going to get any ID here.
Reolink 4.JPG

Well to give the Reolink some slack, this guy was actually running to the truck.
Reolink 5.JPG

Here is the cam mounted way too high:
Reolink 2.JPG

This is a Reolink WIFI cam with a solar panel to power it.
Reolink 6.JPG

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Check out these blur shots and cameras too high compliments of @Rob2020 :

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here is a capture from a Vivint wifi camera. Base price for this system is $45 per month.

Notice how because of movement the image is pixelated and gets nowhere near the claimed resolution. Can you ID the person.

1672926253335.png

Love this from their webpage. Looks like a total fail....

1672926403775.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Oh here is a good one from a wifi cam. Here was the posting:

"I have a motion sensor from my house in the car. It went off, but the camera didn't until I hit the panic button on my key remote."

This is another reason why consumer grade/cloud based systems fail - they only record on motion and usually miss it.

Now on to the great captures as his panic button triggered the lights and horn on the car and the exposure was so messed up. And then even if that was not an issue, the wifi couldn't keep up with the motion so it is poor quality, camera too high, and too wide a view.

1672926803123.png

1672926757162.png

VideoDad

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
View attachment NextDoor20230103.mp4
NextDoorConversation.png
I always snicker whenever someone posts video on NextDoor and someone else replies with "Great video!" What do others think of this video? Anyone else notice that most people on NextDoor can't even figure out how to post the native video and always end up posting a screen record from their phone?

The post: A neighbor (Lindsey) reported a suspicious person in a hooded sweatshirt walking past their house with a "large white object" in their hand. They suspected they were casing the area and perhaps looking to steal from their neighbor's car (speculation).
Update: It turns out that it was just another neighbor on a morning walk with their flashlight and walking stick. They were walking in the street because the sidewalk is uneven in this area. And the hooded sweatshirt? It's winter, right?

Last edited:
Reaction score
^^^ I know! I laugh so much at posts on NextDoor when people post a shot with no people in it and say what a great cam they have. Even here on IPCAMTALK folks post shots with nobody in it. I do not care how nice the street looks or the flowers look or the blades of grass look. Show me a human in the shot. Those are really the ones that these cams are supposed to be optimized for. Maybe also cars and their plates.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Courtesy of Ring wifi, here is a middle of the day shoot out of two kids shooting at the homeowner's pet.

This is about as bad as I have seen. Look how poor the resolution is and it doubled the kids (there were two and for a moment shows 3.25 kids LOL) as the wifi struggled to keep up

1673310082749.png

Here you can tell that the kid in the light clothing is within 10 feet (but probably within 7 feet) of the camera and the image is basically useless.

1673310159307.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A nighttime bust the door in by two perps.

1673641908212.png

But Mama said knock you out and the homeowners fought back. Husband got hit on the head and needed stitches and his wife got a busted lip and a hurt foot, but they were able to keep the perps pinned down until the police came. A man and woman were the perps.

1673641921206.png

Last edited:

JDreaming

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
When I first started looking for security cameras, Eufy was one of the brand I was considering buying few years ago.:embarrassed: