These 2 Latest Lorex 4k Cams + Ubiquiti (UniFi) 4k Cam?

ArmoredDragon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
AAC is by far the best encoding that these cameras support. RTSP just refers to the network transport method, so I don't know whether that implies AAC. I wonder if blue iris supports AAC at all. There is a patent royalty involved, but it's pretty insignificant compared to the overall cost of the product, so not much reason not to support it.

By the way, does blue iris support the two way audio function? And does it support controlling the LED?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
AAC is by far the best encoding that these cameras support. RTSP just refers to the network transport method, so I don't know whether that implies AAC. I wonder if blue iris supports AAC at all. There is a patent royalty involved, but it's pretty insignificant compared to the overall cost of the product, so not much reason not to support it.

By the way, does blue iris support the two way audio function? And does it support controlling the LED?
Blue iris supports AAC in some form as you can see its used in the encoder profiles, that doesnt mean it works for camera side audio, but the software uses it.
Two way audio is supported for some cameras. I would try using the settings for the dahua 1831PIR.
With hik/dahua Blue iris generally changes the camera from day to night vs actually toggling the IR.
You can always provide the developer access to the camera to see what he can do.

hadberz

n3wb
Reaction score
Very nice, the dahua 1831 setting works better than the setting I used. @ArmoredDragon I don't see anyway to control the warning LED in Blue Iris or siren for that matter.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Very nice, the dahua 1831 setting works better than the setting I used. @ArmoredDragon I don't see anyway to control the warning LED in Blue Iris or siren for that matter.
You dont need the cameras siren to trigger. You can send audio to the cameras speaker using blue iris when there is a motion trigger. You can send the built in sounds or record your own wav file that says get the fuck off my property or similar.

Rons86LS1

n3wb
Reaction score
I've had the Lorex bullet style installed for a while now. Very happy with them. The 2 in front have plenty of ambient light so they stay in color, the one on side and back of house are in nite mode and have good range and picture at nite.

Reaction score
You need to redo the testing with the camera mounted higher or at least pointed higher, the camera is capturing way too much ground and therefore adjusting to the ir reflection.
Also, ensure blue iris is set to direct to disk so there is no reencoding going on .
Finally a static image tells you little about how it will look with a moving object. The lorex has dahuas 1/1.8" sensors so its not surprising it will do well at night, in IR mode, it wont work as well as dahuas with that sensor as there is only 1 ir led on the lorex.
Nice, thanks fenderman for the response.... been busy with some house projects so haven't had time to get back to this..

but hopefully in the next week I'll do another night test, and i'll follow your suggestions, and get some motion video captured, at better height, distance, etc... and I'll check the blue iris settings...

ArmoredDragon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Does anybody know if the cables on these cameras are UV rated? I'm wanting to put up a junction box but there doesn't seem to be a junction box that allows you to flush mount the cable to the wall, instead having to have a big conduit sticking out of it, which I don't want to do. The place I'm doing this isn't in an area where somebody would be able to easily reach the camera, so I'm not concerned about somebody cutting an exposed wire. So what I'm also considering is to simply mount the cable directly to the wall and then paint over it. Has anybody had any good results with this? Does the sun destroy the wire over time? If so, what might I try to avoid that?

Also, I noticed that the NACL web plug in is able to control the white LED directly with a little lightbulb icon that toggles it on and off. With a little wireshark magic I could probably finagle a way to override it with a script. I never could figure out how to get two way audio working with blue iris, but it doesn't matter because the trial expired and I'm not sure if that software will do what I want it to do anyways. Even with another 15 day trial, wouldn't be enough because I don't have time to work on this fast enough to get all of the cameras installed within another 15 days.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Does anybody know if the cables on these cameras are UV rated? I'm wanting to put up a junction box but there doesn't seem to be a junction box that allows you to flush mount the cable to the wall, instead having to have a big conduit sticking out of it, which I don't want to do. The place I'm doing this isn't in an area where somebody would be able to easily reach the camera, so I'm not concerned about somebody cutting an exposed wire. So what I'm also considering is to simply mount the cable directly to the wall and then paint over it. Has anybody had any good results with this? Does the sun destroy the wire over time? If so, what might I try to avoid that?

Also, I noticed that the NACL web plug in is able to control the white LED directly with a little lightbulb icon that toggles it on and off. With a little wireshark magic I could probably finagle a way to override it with a script. I never could figure out how to get two way audio working with blue iris, but it doesn't matter because the trial expired and I'm not sure if that software will do what I want it to do anyways. Even with another 15 day trial, wouldn't be enough because I don't have time to work on this fast enough to get all of the cameras installed within another 15 days.
You can use a stanard Home Depot box and drill a hole in the cover. You have not explained what you want BI to do. There are another 100 vms options.

ArmoredDragon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You can use a stanard Home Depot box and drill a hole in the cover. You have not explained what you want BI to do. There are another 100 vms options.
What is a home depot box? I came up with my own solution btw, I'll post pics in a bit.

I'm wanting BI to be able to override that white LED, among a few other things I can't think of at the moment.

Rhinomods

n3wb
Reaction score
Also, Ubiquiti is an interesting company, they do make some cool tech, but their video line seems to have some major issues, or at least from support comments and reviews out there...but I'm curious as well about whom may be providing the tech for their cameras, if anyone knows?

Ubiquiti - G4 Pro bullet cam
Ubiquiti - G4 Pro Bullet - User Guide

Since no one has replied to this question I will add my 2 cents.
I love ubnt equipment, but never liked their camera lines.

Ubnt (Ubiquity) has a record of fighting standardizations, for some reason or another.
For a long time, they were using a non-standard 24v POE injector. ( They claim its for better usage with UPS or Solar usage in remote locations) But it required the user to use their injectors/switches or hack something together.
For the cameras I had tested a little back they are not the best quality. The oldest camera we tested offered RTSP but not onvif, after a firmware update, they removed the RTSP option completely. IDKWHY!! As I understand they have brought back RTSP to most cameras, I do not know if the newest cameras have onvif.

Their software unifi protect is quite good, stable, and free. But they have no option of 3rd party cameras. You cant even buy a license to add 3rd party cameras.
I personally would use UBNT equipment for all my network needs, but not their cameras.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What is a home depot box? I came up with my own solution btw, I'll post pics in a bit.

I'm wanting BI to be able to override that white LED, among a few other things I can't think of at the moment.
Blue Iris can send HTTP commands so if you know what they are for the camera you can do it. Doubt you’ll find anything else that will provide the level of custom options that blue iris provides.
Home Depot junction box

ArmoredDragon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I ended up buying a cordmate C10 from home depot (~$5) and painting over it. Not quite finished as can be seen below as I didn't paint the top of it, but pretty close to what it will look like once I'm done. I put silicone sealant into the holes I drilled before putting the molly into them, but I'm not going to silicone seal the base as that will only increase the amount of moisture that collects behind it.

1588715019500.png

ArmoredDragon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm in need of two varifocal cameras for seeing people and cars down the street, and I'm looking at the turret version of these cameras (LNE8964AB) because it has a sweet spot I'm looking for in terms of resolution and FOV according to IPVM. Problem is, how well will it perform at night? One of these cameras is going to be looking at an area directly beneath a street light, and the other one is looking in an area relatively close to one. The most important things I'm looking for here are being able to at least somewhat reasonably see somebody's face, and license plates being human readable.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Very Interesting....So,..does this 4k Bullet camera display on a 1080P monitor? Will B Iris record the data in 4k and play it back on a lower res monitor? Got a little scared off by the Costco "works with" Blah Blah Blah NVR's. Obviously you guys are past that and well into running them without the Lorex NVR's...Which is making my trigger finger itchy on the "add to Cart" at the Costo Website. There is somebody selling this on Amazon for $119, but saying only works With Lorex "xyz NVR". Feel safer using the power of my Costco return option if I have a problem.

Last edited:

ArmoredDragon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So I gave the LNE8964AB a try, and it has very bad low light performance compared to the bullet version. Can't set to anything faster than 1/60 exposure at night, so back to Amazon it goes. Meanwhile, the bullet versions of these cameras perform beyond my expectations, I just need to figure out how to control that white LED and learn which settings can help the motion blur (it's not too terrible, but it is bad compared to the dahua 5442 variants.)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Very Interesting....So,..does this 4k Bullet camera display on a 1080P monitor? Will B Iris record the data in 4k and play it back on a lower res monitor? Got a little scared off by the Costco "works with" Blah Blah Blah NVR's. Obviously you guys are past that and well into running them without the Lorex NVR's...Which is making my trigger finger itchy on the "add to Cart" at the Costo Website. There is somebody selling this on Amazon for $119, but saying only works With Lorex "xyz NVR". Feel safer using the power of my Costco return option if I have a problem.
Yes, you can play it back on any monitor. You dont need a 4k monitor to take advantage of a 4k camera.

ArmoredDragon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Figured out how to control when and how the LEDs activate, you have to go to the Event tab, then IVS, then set the deterrence light for each rule you have configured. These rules seem to be pretty good at detecting people instead of i.e. trees, though I haven't tested it a whole lot yet. But the nice thing is that you can tell the camera where on the video scene you want the light to activate and where not to activate it, and this is separate from the motion detection. These are actually pretty good cameras. I went with the kit because it was on sale again that includes the crappy NVR, but at $750 after tax, that comes out to under $100/camera. The NVR doesn't seem to be necessary to configure the more advanced settings as they're all in the web GUI. However, like most Chinese software, it's very unintuitive and some aspects of the GUI are dated by even by 1999's standards.

I've given up with trying to point cameras down the street as I don't think anything below $300 even exists that will do what I need it to do. Meanwhile, with this kit, I have 6 outside and 1 in the garage, with a hard to reach place in mind for the 8th camera.

HugChopShop

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Figured out how to control when and how the LEDs activate, you have to go to the Event tab, then IVS, then set the deterrence light for each rule you have configured. These rules seem to be pretty good at detecting people instead of i.e. trees, though I haven't tested it a whole lot yet. But the nice thing is that you can tell the camera where on the video scene you want the light to activate and where not to activate it, and this is separate from the motion detection. These are actually pretty good cameras. I went with the kit because it was on sale again that includes the crappy NVR, but at $750 after tax, that comes out to under $100/camera. The NVR doesn't seem to be necessary to configure the more advanced settings as they're all in the web GUI. However, like most Chinese software, it's very unintuitive and some aspects of the GUI are dated by even by 1999's standards.

I've given up with trying to point cameras down the street as I don't think anything below $300 even exists that will do what I need it to do. Meanwhile, with this kit, I have 6 outside and 1 in the garage, with a hard to reach place in mind for the 8th camera.
What package ends up at $100/camera?