These 2 Latest Lorex 4k Cams + Ubiquiti (UniFi) 4k Cam?

Reaction score
Hi All,

I know these Lorex cameras have been mentioned a little bit here and there on these forums, but it sounds like no one is really sure yet if they are just re-branded Dahua cameras? (are they Dahua models that are only sold for Lorex?)

Lorex - 4K Bullet with 2-way audio
Lorex - 4k turret with 1-way audio

So as far as Lorex goes, does Dahua actually own Lorex? I thought FLIR took over Lorex? or is both true?

It sounds like from reviews I've found, these cameras may be junk anyhow, but just curious if anyone knows anything more?

Only thing that I liked about the bullet was the 2-way audio, seems 2-way is almost non-existent yet in any outdoor cameras... mic-in is easy to find, but 2-way (built-in) doesn't seem to be catching on yet..

Also, Ubiquiti is an interesting company, they do make some cool tech, but their video line seems to have some major issues, or at least from support comments and reviews out there...but I'm curious as well about whom may be providing the tech for their cameras, if anyone knows?

Ubiquiti - G4 Pro bullet cam
Ubiquiti - G4 Pro Bullet - User Guide

I'm looking to sometime soon retire my HD-SDI setup at my house (4 cams), and re-wire and go to IP cams...

I'll be bench-testing the PC-HDW5231R-ZE, (just ordered from Andy) as it seems the best turret you guys recommend on here (besides maybe the new IPC-T3241T-ZAS, but that's not available till april at least)

I certainly won't go with any of these Lorex/UI/etc cams if they are crap (which is sounds like they are)... but they just grab my curiousity.....I'm sure I'll end up with at least 4 cams from gear you guys recommend on here (prob. 2 turrets and 2 bullets or something along those lines... and prob. Blue Iris...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I know these Lorex cameras have been mentioned a little bit here and there on these forums, but it sounds like no one is really sure yet if they are just re-branded Dahua cameras? (are they Dahua models that are only sold for Lorex?)

Lorex - 4K Bullet with 2-way audio
Lorex - 4k turret with 1-way audio

So as far as Lorex goes, does Dahua actually own Lorex? I thought FLIR took over Lorex? or is both true?

It sounds like from reviews I've found, these cameras may be junk anyhow, but just curious if anyone knows anything more?

Only thing that I liked about the bullet was the 2-way audio, seems 2-way is almost non-existent yet in any outdoor cameras... mic-in is easy to find, but 2-way (built-in) doesn't seem to be catching on yet..

Also, Ubiquiti is an interesting company, they do make some cool tech, but their video line seems to have some major issues, or at least from support comments and reviews out there...but I'm curious as well about whom may be providing the tech for their cameras, if anyone knows?

Ubiquiti - G4 Pro bullet cam
Ubiquiti - G4 Pro Bullet - User Guide

I'm looking to sometime soon retire my HD-SDI setup at my house (4 cams), and re-wire and go to IP cams...

I'll be bench-testing the PC-HDW5231R-ZE, (just ordered from Andy) as it seems the best turret you guys recommend on here (besides maybe the new IPC-T3241T-ZAS, but that's not available till april at least)

I certainly won't go with any of these Lorex/UI/etc cams if they are crap (which is sounds like they are)... but they just grab my curiousity.....I'm sure I'll end up with at least 4 cams from gear you guys recommend on here (prob. 2 turrets and 2 bullets or something along those lines... and prob. Blue Iris...
The first bullet camera is actually a very good low light cameras as it sports the large 1/1.8 sensor. The second turret uses a smaller sensor.
You can buy the bullet at costco risk free for 155.

Reaction score
The first bullet camera is actually a very good low light cameras as it sports the large 1/1.8 sensor. The second turret uses a smaller sensor.
You can buy the bullet at costco risk free for 155.
Sweet, nice find! That is awesome, so much better than the lorex price!

Thanks for that, I may just order one of these at that price, and see how it looks in bench testing, while I test the 5231...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Sweet, nice find! That is awesome, so much better than the lorex price!

Thanks for that, I may just order one of these at that price, and see how it looks in bench testing, while I test the 5231...
The camera must be tested outdoors in low light to get the best idea of how it will perform. Its costco, they will take it back no questions.

Reaction score
The camera must be tested outdoors in low light to get the best idea of how it will perform. Its costco, they will take it back no questions.
Yep, exactly.... I'll bench test first just to see how it works in general, then if it seems decent, I'll install it outside where my current bullet is now, that's very low light...

That's what is awesome about Costco, you can return just about everything! I could probably sledge hammer it then sink it at the bottom of the ocean, then bring it back up, and return it no problem :)

HugChopShop

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Reaction score
For those without Costco (like me), the Lorex is also available at BB for the same price. I currently have HDW2231R and would like to add a couple more cameras. I'd love to know how this compares to in low light to Dahua T5442TM or T2831T.

Oh sweet, that's a nice find... yeah, I too don't have a Costco membership since they aren't really in my town. (you can buy it still from their site, but with a 5% non-member fee)...

So this is even better, thanks for posting!

I will probably pick one of these up in the next couple weeks, and then I'll post a review once I get a chance to try it outside and get real nighttime images from it...

HugChopShop

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I would LOVE to know how these compare to Dahua T5442TM-AS and Dahua T2831T-ZS. I'm in the market for 1-2 more outdoor cams.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
For those without Costco (like me), the Lorex is also available at BB for the same price. I currently have HDW2231R and would like to add a couple more cameras. I'd love to know how this compares to in low light to Dahua T5442TM or T2831T.

best buy is 5 bux more and their return policy is not even close to costcos.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I would LOVE to know how these compare to Dahua T5442TM-AS and Dahua T2831T-ZS. I'm in the market for 1-2 more outdoor cams.
they would perform about the same as any other 4k dahua with the same size sensor. There are a bunch of reviews on those. You wont find someone comparing this exact model side by side.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
See this comparison, you will see the 4k 1/1.8 sensor does not match the 5442 with the same size

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FYI - Lorex ( Dahua OEM ) models in question ( ps - the Lorex listed prices are too high, do not buy at these prices )

4K Ultra HD Smart Deterrence IP Camera with Color Night Vision
E891AB-W

Image Sensor 8MP/4K 1/1.8” CMOS
ref:

1586556619386.png

4K Nocturnal Motorized Zoom Lens IP Audio Dome Security Camera - White
LNE8964AB
Imaging Device 4K, 1/2.5 Inch

ref: ( didn't see spec sheet listed, so providing webpage )
4K Nocturnal Motorized Zoom Lens IP Audio Dome Security Camera - White

1586556650167.png

Reaction score
Yeah, the bestbuy/costco prices that were posted above in this thread are $100 cheaper... amazing Lorex prices are that much higher....

I just wonder if either of these 'Lorex' models equate to some Dahua models, or could these be custom ones Dahua made just for Lorex, and wont' be solder under the Dahua name?

ArmoredDragon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Does anybody make a camera like the T5442TM-AS only also have two way audio and a deterrence LED? If not, what's the closest thing to it?

Reaction score
Does anybody make a camera like the T5442TM-AS only also have two way audio and a deterrence LED? If not, what's the closest thing to it?
I haven't been able to find hardly anything with 2-way audio (that isn't the low-end crap) except these Lorex cams... that's why I'm going to try one..

FYI, I got my 5231 from Andy, since it came directly from HK, its sitting for a few day quarantine in my garage, just to be safe :) LOL

I ordered the bullet Lorex cam (above) from bestbuy, should be here in a few days.. once I have both I'll setup a test outside to get some nice evening then dark shots, to compare them, etc..

hopefully by next week i"ll have this done and report back... I'll be doing the test with Blue Iris...

ArmoredDragon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I just bought two from costco, going to see how they work out. I'm intending for these to stare down long corridors at the sides of my house, doubling as utility (to provide lighting for when we walk along the side of the house at night) as well as provide alarm-like functionality. Costco's long return policy means I'll have plenty of time to try them out. Costco's model may be slightly different though as it ends with a -E instead of a -W, and theirs indicates a smaller sensor (1/2" as opposed to 1/1.8".) I'm hoping that's more the result of a typo, and that the -E is just Costco's usual shenanigans of having manufacturers give them a special model unique to themselves to prevent competitors from price matching.

Costco's version must use a bigger lens though as it claims a much narrower FoV than the one linked. Perhaps the -W (for "wider"?) is meant as a smaller lens.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I just bought two from costco, going to see how they work out. I'm intending for these to stare down long corridors at the sides of my house, doubling as utility (to provide lighting for when we walk along the side of the house at night) as well as provide alarm-like functionality. Costco's long return policy means I'll have plenty of time to try them out. Costco's model may be slightly different though as it ends with a -E instead of a -W, and theirs indicates a smaller sensor (1/2" as opposed to 1/1.8".) I'm hoping that's more the result of a typo, and that the -E is just Costco's usual shenanigans of having manufacturers give them a special model unique to themselves to prevent competitors from price matching.

Costco's version must use a bigger lens though as it claims a much narrower FoV than the one linked. Perhaps the -W (for "wider"?) is meant as a smaller lens.
for the bullet its a typo, you can look at the detail specs on the costco page and it will show 1/1.8.

ArmoredDragon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ah, and it's got a wider FoV...damnit. This will not work well for a corridor. What a pain in the butt, no way to cancel now.

Don't suppose anybody has ever had any advice for using a wide angle lens in a narrow corridor? I'm not sure what other camera would fit my needs here to be honest. I guess I don't need the two way audio in that particular spot as much as I do the LED, and I don't know if I'm up for running separate cabling for security lights.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ah, and it's got a wider FoV...damnit. This will not work well for a corridor. What a pain in the butt, no way to cancel now.

Don't suppose anybody has ever had any advice for using a wide angle lens in a narrow corridor? I'm not sure what other camera would fit my needs here to be honest. I guess I don't need the two way audio in that particular spot as much as I do the LED, and I don't know if I'm up for running separate cabling for security lights.
You can mount it sideways. Some have a corridor mode option so the timestamp is not sideways