Thieves took my DVR!

Rebelx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
And why does a "typical house" have 3 deadbolts on the door? I suppose that's are some houses around that have 3 - years ago I had a house front door kicked in and the deadbolt gave pretty easily but not typical I would say.
There was a quick smash and grab robbery wanting to take the Toyota about 3 years ago. Since then 3 deadlocks on the door. That didn't matter as this door was removed from the hinge while all deadlocks intact. I didn't know that it was that easy. Not the most clever design but will be rectified preparing for the next attack.

There were no drugs or other valuables in this house.

There is a small back story that I didn't tell. I went overseas for 2 weeks when it happened. I and another friend of ours used the same 'private' company (non uber; cash in hand) to drive us to the airport (1 hour away). Both houses were broken into. :) My friend was away for 4 weeks around the same time also. I don't want to spread conspiracy theories though.

Thanks everyone for their comments.

Rebelx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
epending on the door swing they may have had access to the hinge pins and removed those but typically they are on the inside.
Yes. Once they were inside the garage, the hinge pins were accessible to the door leading into the house. Is this standard design?

Previously that very door was broken from the inside during another robbery; hence 3 deadlocks.

Rebelx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
it was about OP possibly captured video of a neighbor doing something illicit
Less likely as cameras actually cannot be seen from the front of the house. Back of the house has garden and trees etc then into a reserve.

I don't know though.

Reaction score
Yes. Once they were inside the garage, the hinge pins were accessible to the door leading into the house. Is this standard design?
There are a few products to use for this issue. One is to use hinges designed for outswinging doors that have non-removable pins. They are usually riveted pins.

Stainless Steel Ball Bearing Security Hinges - Penrod - 4" with 5/8" radius corners - Non-Removable Riveted Pin - 3 Pack - HingeOutlet

Another option is to use hinges that have a security tab on them. This tab makes it difficult to pull the hinge pieces apart once the pin is removed.

Stainless Steel Hinges with Security Tab - 4" x 4" Plain Bearing Hinge with 5/8" Radius Corners - Arch Hole Pattern - 2 Pack - HingeOutlet

A third option is to install security hinge pins that stick way into the opposite side of the hinge and act like a deadbolt.

Security Hinge Pins - Make any hinge a security hinge - Made in the USA - HingeOutlet

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
There is a small back story that I didn't tell. I went overseas for 2 weeks when it happened. I and another friend of ours used the same 'private' company (non uber; cash in hand) to drive us to the airport (1 hour away). Both houses were broken into. :) My friend was away for 4 weeks around the same time also. I don't want to spread conspiracy theories though.
I would definitely be handing that info over to the cops.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
It is code in many state in the US, any door separating garage & living space must open out into the garage (and have a minimum fire rating or better). General premise behind the noted door swing is... in the event of an explosion, there is less chance for the door blowing open in to the living area and causing a rapid spread.

This results in the hinges being exposed from the garage side. As @samplenhold pointed out, there are clearly some better choices for hinges in that scenario.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Yup, what are the odds. IMHO, cased closed. And, thank you for sharing that additional info as it serves as a very useful security tip for those traveling.

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score

Thanks everyone for their comments.
That's hardly a conspiracy theory! As most people would, I'm sure you were discussing your trips during the trip to the airport.

Unfortunately, the transportation industry is rife of these kinds of issues, at least in Toronto. Cab drivers are known to swap debit cards, install hidden readers in their POS units in the car, etc. When I was still living in Toronto, there was a house party across the street from me. I woke up to a street full of cop cars. We were told that there was a home invasion (unusual in Toronto at that time) around 5am as the party was winding down. Apparently, some people took a taxi to the party and refused to pay the driver. So, even the cops were sure that the cab driver called some friends and someone went by later and cleaned the place out.

When I travel, I tell my wife, a neighbour and a few good friends. From 10pm to 7am, we hire an extra-sized lad to sit in front of the property. He has a high-powered flashlight which can also be used "to crack coconuts". lol

Since it costs about $3 USD per night, it's very affordable. My wife feels much safer as we have a large house with a lack of streetlights. We've also had two of our solar reflectors stolen (one while I was traveling, that's not a coincidence). She completely bugged out and called me locked in the bedroom while I gave her a quick rundown over the phone how to review the cameras. She had woken up and turned on the TV to see one of the cameras half covered and turned from it's position. Naturally, she was afraid that they'd gotten in the house and were still there. Dogs had been in the bedroom with her so they were sound asleep. When she reviewed the camera and saw them take the light and then leave, she was better. But this was a hugely traumatic experience for her and I.

Unfortunately, we, human beings, must take security precautions. I'm glad I've invested in cameras as I use them proactively. Every day, I review the activity around the property between 11pm and 6am. My cameras cover my property and as far as the properties across the streets (our place is on a corner). Now that word is out that we actively monitor the cameras, we've noticed that people walk in the middle of the street, not the sidewalk. Naturally, they think we're only covering our property but the spotter cams all have wide angle 2.8mm lenses. We can get at least a good clothing description. If someone gets closer, the other cams get more details. Get close enough to the front entrance and the cameras running face detection will capture a face.

If I notice something suspicious, or a pattern, I copy the clips to a 2TB external HD I have. The event is then logged in a spreadsheet with a description for future reference. Storage is cheap and will take a long time to fill up the 2TB.

It's good to hear you have a handle on what's needed to fortify your property for next time. God forbid there is a next time, but being proactive goes a long, long way.

ptzman

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I live on a dead-end street that ends in a hammer head turn-around. I too have noticed since some of my cameras are visible and point to the hammer head with others pointing along, in, and out of my property, people turn their headlights off, drive in the middle of the street, or turn around in neighbor’s driveways before they get to my property. My cameras are set up to read license plates and record in both color and black and white 24/7. Also, my analog camera/DVR system is still in use and provide months of continuous video that I use to search backward over time.

I recorded this person (see photo) early one morning just before daybreak at my property, provided all the information to the police along with information that showed his face without the mask to the police, end of story. The video was clearer than this snapshot. Never heard back from the police.

Attachments

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I live on a dead-end street that ends in a hammer head turn-around. I too have noticed since some of my cameras are visible and point to the hammer head with others pointing along, in, and out of my property, people turn their headlights off, drive in the middle of the street, or turn around in neighbor’s driveways before they get to my property. My cameras are set up to read license plates and record in both color and black and white 24/7. Also, my analog camera/DVR system is still in use and provide months of continuous video that I use to search backward over time.

I recorded this person (see photo) early one morning just before daybreak at my property, provided all the information to the police along with information that showed his face without the mask to the police, end of story. The video was clearer than this snapshot. Never heard back from the police.
Looks like he's carrying bolt cutters, rubber grips up and the business end down.....not your typical item to carry when out for a nice walk....:idk:

JimLS

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It is code in many state in the US, any door separating garage & living space must open out into the garage (and have a minimum fire rating or better). General premise behind the noted door swing is... in the event of an explosion, there is less chance for the door blowing open in to the living area and causing a rapid spread.

This results in the hinges being exposed from the garage side. As @samplenhold pointed out, there are clearly some better choices for hinges in that scenario.
Never heard of such a rule but I have only lived in a few states. Outswing door is very unusual in my experience. Others have posted some options for hinges that are more secure for pins on the outside. But even for inswing doors I have heard of using a jack to pry the jamb apart enough to clear the deadbolt so a long throw is best. I would guess the hinge with raised tab would be fairly easy to overcome with a pry bar to spring the jamb a little. The long screw heads look better in that regard. If they want in bad enough they will get in but you want to make that hard to do.

Sounds like your driver knew you were going to be out for a while and that's the link to the break in. That could explain them looking in so many out of the way places - if they knew they had lots of time and little risk then why not look everywhere.

Reaction score
I would guess the hinge with raised tab would be fairly easy to overcome with a pry bar to spring the jamb a little. The long screw heads look better in that regard. If they want in bad enough they will get in but you want to make that hard to do.
Yes. I have seen video of how this works with a pry bar and a hydraulic jack. But having three hinges to overcome at the same time, the tabs or the pins makes it a bit harder.

I think that since they took the DVR, that would only mean that there was a good chance that they could be identified on the cams. So either you would recognize them, or a neighbor would, or they are known to the police.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
All the doors I've seen in Florida open outward into the garage. I think I'll install some of those security hinge screws on mine.

Keep in mind a burglar could grab the circular saw off the workbench then easily cut through the wood door. It might be quicker than a pry bar and Jack.