Think I bricked my NVR. Help!

djangel

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
:dejection: Well, I finally managed to mess (brick?) my NVR and will need help getting it back online.

Quick story first: upgraded from 3.0.10 US to 3.3.2 Euro and now I can't login to change settings. NVR rebooted after firmware update thru web gui, asked for password to activate (viewing thru monitor), now I can't access settings menu to make changes. Ask for password, but none of the ones I tried work (including the one I used for activation). Did I just bricked my NVR? Was 3.0.10 euro to 3.3.2 euro a no no?

Long story: I have a DS-7608N-E2/8P that originally came with hacked 3.0.8 multi lang (I think, can't remember) from Aliexpress. As soon as I got it, I upgraded to 3.0.10 build 141126 Euro(multi lang) version without issues. Everything seemed to work fine, but lately I was having problems maintaining settings for some of my cameras, like the frame rate for the main and event streams, motion settings, and others. I decided to upgrade to 3.0.10 build 150511 and again, everything worked fine. This time, I was able to finally set the fps settings for my cameras as desired, but now my recordings were having problems. I set all my cameras to continuous recording with a low fps/bit rate, and higher fps/bitrate when motion is detected, but somehow all my recordings were getting cuff off at different intervals (assuming depending on motion). After some tinkering with settings, remove/add cameras, reformat hard drive, the problem with recordings persisted. I didn't have this problem when I was using the 3.0.10 build 141126 firmware. This time, after reading as much as possible I finally decided to try to upgrade to 3.3.2 build 150522 (multi-lang) firmware and now, I have no access (sort of) to the NVR.

Here is what I did and what's going on with the NVR. I downloaded the 3.3.2 firmware, use Hiktools to set the language flag to 2, upgraded thru NVR web gui and everything seemed to work just fine, UNTIL the system rebooted. I waited for the system to reboot and was trying to ping it while it was coming up, but no response. When I went to the monitor connected directly to the NVR, there was a window asking for Activation and it gave me the option to enter a password. The user name had a drop down menu, but I was not able to type anything on it. It only had like an ascii character (square) on it, so I just went ahead and entered a password, which the NVR accepted and gave me a message that NVR or login or device (can't remember) was activated. After that, I had a blank screen. When I right click on it, I get the menu options, but when I try to access the settings it wants credentials. The problem is that the password I used for the activation is not working as well as other passwords, to include 12345, admin, etc... I'm not able to select or type anything for the username, it is just a drop down menu with the same ascii character. (see pics)

SADP shows the NVR, but without any IP assigned. If I try to change it, I receive an error message. (see pics)

Has anyone seen this before and have any input on what should I do? Thanks.

Attachments

djangel

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Well, after getting some rest and reviewing the forum for more info, I managed to recover the NVR back to firmware 3.0.10 multi-lang using Hikvision TFTP tool, so I'm back in business! Please disregard all of the above :D

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I noticed your other thread you mention 3.3.2 is working now. What did you do to make it happen?

djangel

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I noticed your other thread you mention 3.3.2 is working now. What did you do to make it happen?
I downloaded 3.0.10 multi-lang firmware, used Hiktools to change language flag to 2 (CH), then used Hikvision TFTP to push the firmware. NVR came up just fine. Then, I downloaded 3.3.2 multi-lang firmware and again changed language flag to 2 (CH) with Hiktools, and used the NVR's web gui to update the firmware. NVR works great!

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So it sounds like you basically did the same thing you did originally? , however this time it actually worked.

djangel

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So it sounds like you basically did the same thing you did originally? , however this time it actually worked.
Well, originally it went like this. Hacked 3.0.8 from Aliexpress, I upgraded to 3.0.10 multi-lang (before Hiktools was available), then 3.0.10 US thru web gui, then tried to 3.3.2 multi-lang thru web gui. Somewhere in between (almost certain the 3.0.10 US) it caused problems. So by going back to 3.0.10 multi-lang (installed thru Hikvision TFTP) the firmware was installed with defaults (clean install). Then I went directly to 3.3.2 and voila!

kccustom

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just did this to my nvr and I am stuck, it shows up in SADP with the same IP is did before the upgrade but I get the same messed up login, before I drag my laptop in there to hook it up directly is there any way to just reset the password?

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I just did this to my nvr and I am stuck, it shows up in SADP with the same IP is did before the upgrade but I get the same messed up login, before I drag my laptop in there to hook it up directly is there any way to just reset the password?
Yes you can but it's better to TFTP back to 3.0.10 and then upgrade to 3.3.2 and then 3.3.4.

djangel

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes you can but it's better to TFTP back to 3.0.10 and then upgrade to 3.3.2 and then 3.3.4.
+1 @Del Boy
@Del Boy, do you know what changes or fixes were made from 3.3.2 to 3.3.4? Mine still in 3.3.2, and was wondering if I should upgrade to 3.3.4. Is it worth it?

Last edited by a moderator:

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
v3.3.2 e-mail alerts are buggy, that's the main reason to change. v3.3.4 also has H.264+ but I think v3.3.2 might have that?

Also from v3.3.2 to v3.3.4 it's a simple change, not like v3.0.10 to v3.3.2

My opinion, is that v3.3.4 will be the new v3.0.10 (last proper stable version) for a while.

For some reason I don't have virtual host... ah well.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
v3.3.2 e-mail alerts are buggy, that's the main reason to change. v3.3.4 also has H.264+ but I think v3.3.2 might have that?

Also from v3.3.2 to v3.3.4 it's a simple change, not like v3.0.10 to v3.3.2

My opinion, is that v3.3.4 will be the new v3.0.10 (last proper stable version) for a while.

For some reason I don't have virtual host... ah well.
Rommycam has posted a link to the version you need btw. Make sure you update it from the web interface.

djangel

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I updated to 3.3.4 without problems, but I wasn't able to change the camera FPS/bitrate settings for Main Stream and Main Stream (event) as previous firmwares. Don't know if it is by design or just something wrong with my particular update, but I wasn't able to change it from either the web gui or local NVR input. I rebooted the NVR and still had the problem. Only thing I didn't try was to reboot one of the cameras to see if it allowed me to change it, but I went back to 3.3.2 already. Any ideas?

kccustom

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think I need help with tftp, or a link to how to do it, I tried the hikvision auto-updater and it wont connect to the nvr

sadp still shows it having the old ip address.

djangel

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I think I need help with tftp, or a link to how to do it, I tried the hikvision auto-updater and it wont connect to the nvr

sadp still shows it having the old ip address.
Change PC IP address to 192.0.0.168, 255.255.255.0. I would disable the firewall and/or antivirus to make sure they are not blocking access. Also, disable any wifi adapters. Add the digicap.dav file to same folder the TFTP program is and start the TFTP server. Connect the NVR and PC/laptop to a switch. Might need to power cycle NVR to get the connection established and firmware transferred. Once the transfer is complete, close the TFTP program or just unplug the the network cable from the switch. NVR will take a little time to flash the firmware. Best to connect the NVR to a monitor to check progress and configure.

Note: Depending on your NVR, you will probably need to change the language flag. If so, do it before starting the TFTP process with Hiktools.

http://www.hikvision.com/europe/download_more.asp?id=1336

Attachments

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I updated to 3.3.4 without problems, but I wasn't able to change the camera FPS/bitrate settings for Main Stream and Main Stream (event) as previous firmwares. Don't know if it is by designed or just something wrong with my particular update, but I wasn't able to change it from either the web gui or local NVR input. I rebooted the NVR and still had the problem. Only thing I didn't try was to reboot one of the cameras to see if it allowed me to change it, but I went back to 3.3.2 already. Any ideas?
Nope. I can change mine fine.

kccustom

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Connect the NVR and PC/laptop to a switch. Change PC IP address to 192.0.0.168, 255.255.255.0. I would disable the firewall and/or antivirus to make sure they are not blocking access.

http://www.hikvision.com/europe/download_more.asp?id=1336
Still wont connect, the nvr is still showing 192.168.1.170 port 8000 in sadp, I have tried 192.0.0.128 and 192.0.0.168
Thanks for the help so far, I am sure there is one little thing I am missing somehow.

djangel

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Still wont connect, the nvr is still showing 192.168.1.170 port 8000 in sadp, I have tried 192.0.0.128 and 192.0.0168
Thanks for the help so far, I am sure there is one little thing I am missing somehow.
The TFTP IP has nothing to do with the IP setup for the NVR. I updated the instruction on my previous post. See if that works.

kccustom

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The TFTP IP has nothing to do with the IP setup for the NVR. I updated the instruction on my previous post. See if that works.
This is what I have done so far, tried both 192.0.0.128 192.0.0.168 ips, turned off all firewall/anti virus, hooked up the nvr and computer to a switch started tftp auto updater started the nvr, the nvr boots tftp says connect failed.

I am just trying to go back to the last firmware that worked.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The correct IP address for the PC is 192.0.0.128 for when the NVR probes for the tftp server.
The most common cause of the NVR not connecting to the Hikvision-specific tftp server is the Windows firewall blocking access. This can be caused by disallowing the needed access when first running the tftp server - it creates a block rule.
Use Control Panel | Windows Firewall | Advanced settings | Inbound rules, and ensure there is an Allow rule for TCP and UDP for private and public networks for the program tftpserve.exe in whatever folder you have put it.

*edit* If you inadvertently created a Block rule, turning the firewall off is sometimes not sufficient to allow access.