Think I bricked my NVR. Help!

kccustom

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The correct IP address for the PC is 192.0.0.128 for when the NVR probes for the tftp server.
The most common cause of the NVR not connecting to the Hikvision-specific tftp server is the Windows firewall blocking access. This can be caused by disallowing the needed access when first running the tftp server - it creates a block rule.
Use Control Panel | Windows Firewall | Advanced settings | Inbound rules, and ensure there is an Allow rule for TCP and UDP for private and public networks for the program tftpserve.exe in whatever folder you have put it.

*edit* If you inadvertently created a Block rule, turning the firewall off is sometimes not sufficient to allow access.
Just checked all of that and still no joy, nvr just boots up tftp says connect failure.

djangel

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Is the NVR connected to the LAN port and not one of the POE/camera ports? Just checking.

djangel

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What's the exact model for your NVR and where did you bought it from? What firmware version shows in SADP?

djangel

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Nope. I can change mine fine.
Do you have a 76XXN or NI? Mine is a 7608N and would not let me change it at all. I went ahead and updated to 3.3.4 again, rebooted cameras and NVR, and still not able to change it. Only option I can change is the bitrate if I select a custom one from the main stream. I just went back to 3.3.2, restored from configuration backup file and everything is working fine. Who knows, but maybe something to consider for those with same NVR as mine and looking to update to 3.3.4.

kccustom

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What's the exact model for your NVR and where did you bought it from? What firmware version shows in SADP?
DS-7716NI-SP v3.3.4build 150616 got it from nellys firmware before I tried to upgrade was 3.1.5

djangel

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Well, it seems to be an issue with the way you are connecting the NVR and PC. Is the switch still connected to other devices when you are attempting to connect the NVR and computer? If so, try disconnecting all other cables and try again. If for some reason you are connecting the computer and NVR directly together, you will need a crossover cable for the devices to communicate. Otherwise, we will need to wait for someone with more experience to get you back up and running.

kccustom

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well, it seems to be an issue with the way you are connecting the NVR and PC. Is the switch still connected to other devices when you are attempting to connect the NVR and computer? If so, try disconnecting all other cables and try again. If for some reason you are connecting the computer and NVR directly together, you will need a crossover cable for the devices to communicate. Otherwise, we will need to wait for someone with more experience to get you back up and running.
I set up a switch all by itself and a spare computer, unhooked everything from the nvr, ran a ping on 192.0.0.60 that hits while the nvr boots but it still dont want to connect, I will make a crossover cable and see what happens.

Thanks for taking the time to help me out, I am sure it will get sorted sooner or later.

djangel

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I set up a switch all by itself and a spare computer, unhooked everything from the nvr, ran a ping on 192.0.0.60 that hits while the nvr boots but it still dont want to connect, I will make a crossover cable and see what happens.

Thanks for taking the time to help me out, I am sure it will get sorted sooner or later.
You know, I was thinking about the direct connection statement with a crossover cable and I just remembered that I used the same cable from my NVR (which I think is a straight-thru) to the computer port and the TFTP still worked. I just overlooked connecting to the switch that I had there :laugh:. I do recall seeing a different IP on the TFTP server, but didn't pay much attention since the firmware transferred without problems. So maybe you don't need a crossover cable after all. I do remember setting up the internal IP for the laptop to 192.0.0.128/24, so you can also try it this way and see if it connects.

kccustom

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You know, I was thinking about the direct connection statement with a crossover cable and I just remembered that I used the same cable from my NVR (which I think is a straight-thru) to the computer port and the TFTP still worked. I just overlooked connecting to the switch that I had there :laugh:. I do recall seeing a different IP on the TFTP server, but didn't pay much attention since the firmware transferred without problems. So maybe you don't need a crossover cable after all. I do remember setting up the internal IP for the laptop to 192.0.0.128/24, so you can also try it this way and see if it connects.
Crossover cable didnt work, straight connection didnt work, 192.0.0.128/8 connects but it connects to the 192.168.1.170 address and searches for some file called econt_Vision-AV2000

djangel

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm assuming by this point you are getting frustrated and worried about this issue, but I know we can get you back running. Let's just continue troubleshooting. I did a search for the file you mentioned, econt_Vision-AV2000 and found a few threads with people that ran into the same or similar issue. Here is one. Just glancing real quick at the threads, some were able to fix the problem by continuing to power cycle the NVR until it finally connected to the TFTP server. Others were able to use iVMS to connect to the NVR and initiate a device factory reset from there until it finally took.

Still wont connect, the nvr is still showing 192.168.1.170 port 8000 in sadp, I have tried 192.0.0.128 and 192.0.0.168
Thanks for the help so far, I am sure there is one little thing I am missing somehow.
Have you tried connecting to the NVR via browser? You know, 192.168.1.170 in browser window? Are you able to see the login page? When I originally had the problem, my IP address and gateway were 0.0.0.0, so my only option was to go directly to the NVR.

kccustom

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm assuming by this point you are getting frustrated and worried about this issue, but I know we can get you back running. Let's just continue troubleshooting. I did a search for the file you mentioned, econt_Vision-AV2000 and found a few threads with people that ran into the same or similar issue. Here is one. Just glancing real quick at the threads, some were able to fix the problem by continuing to power cycle the NVR until it finally connected to the TFTP server. Others were able to use iVMS to connect to the NVR and initiate a device factory reset from there until it finally took.

Have you tried connecting to the NVR via browser? You know, 192.168.1.170 in browser window? Are you able to see the login page? When I originally had the problem, my IP address and gateway were 0.0.0.0, so my only option was to go directly to the NVR.
Ya, it wont connect via browser. Weird thing is it acts like it is running but I just cant access it, if there was a way to just reset the password I would be happy. I knew when I pressed the upgrade button that I should not be doing it but I did it anyway. looks like I will be on blueiris while I am out of town if I cant get it to work.

djangel

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Reading at some of the other threads @CoreyX64 had the same problem you are having now. I can see you already asked him about it and that you are aware that this will probably require a serial connection. You will probably need to buy a USB TTL serial adapter meanwhile. I purchased these two not too long ago, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QT7LQ88?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00 / http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009T2ZR6W?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00 just in case I ever needed them. Good luck.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

kccustom

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Reading at some of the other threads @CoreyX64 had the same problem you are having now. I can see you already asked him about it and that you are aware that this will probably require a serial connection. You will probably need to buy a USB TTL serial adapter meanwhile. I purchased these two not too long ago, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QT7LQ88?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00 / http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009T2ZR6W?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00 just in case I ever needed them. Good luck.
How are you hooking that up to the NVR?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

djangel

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:

kccustom

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
my nvr has a rs-232 port will that work?