This camera just looks like fun...

JMartin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Nayr do you have or know how these cams work if it's snowing and ice form on it? ( yes I guess it's best to have it as much under cover as possible as always). But wanted to know if they normally can take some lighter beating in that way? ( jmartin sorry for hijacking your thread ��)

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
No hijack, exposure is a question I had too. I intend to mount this on the corner of my Chimney as high as possible (but below the smoke :)).
It will be totally exposed, but then I live in Sunny California. Snow here is the least of my worries.
Chimney Mount.png
It claims to be IP66 waterproof/weatherproof, so dust on the lens is about my only concern... and the occasional bird perching on it perhaps.
From where I want to put it, I should get up to 270 degrees of front/back/side yard.
270 Degree View.png
The balance of 90 degrees would just be the chimney itself, and a bunch of roof.
Anywhere else on the house and it's just a 180 degree camera.

[And then I would have to buy two :):)]

Last edited by a moderator:

badmannen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok in that part of the country your biggest problem might be the Sun wearing out the plastic . And I guess it's not a big issue with smoke from the chimney as well. Will be pretty cool anyway to mount it up there. You could of course mount it right at a corner of your house and you would still get that 270 degree

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

JMartin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok in that part of the country your biggest problem might be the Sun wearing out the plastic . And I guess it's not a big issue with smoke from the chimney as well. Will be pretty cool anyway to mount it up there. You could of course mount it right at a corner of your house and you would still get that 270 degree
Hey, this baby is all Aluminum... except perhaps on the inside... where it's... likely... um... well... Never mind. :confused3:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
if you have packed snow/ice its best to park it, I have a preset looking straight down I park it on when weather gets really bad and I avoid moving it.. should survive just fine parked, ive had to run it through a ptz-recalibration after a bad storm just once so far because it jammed up a little bit and lost positioning.. if you can do that through the webui its nice, worst case you reboot it.

avoid leaving it on patrols/panning, constant duty cycle and all warranties are void.

JMartin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Oooohhh...

Gotta say, I wasn't too happy about finding this when I came out to check on the camera this morning:

Fog On Lens.jpg

Fogged up on the inside. Surely there is a small packet of silica stashed somewhere inside the camera housing... or would that not be a good idea?
It's not on the lens tonight when I got home from work, but I'm nervous that there is some kind of moisture, somewhere within the housing.
Should I be concerned?

lulu5kamz

Known around here
Reaction score
That does sound concerning. I've never opened up my Sunba, so I don't know what's inside. While I've had mine installed outside since late January this year, it was always protected under the eaves of the house until I moved it a few weeks ago. I've never seen fog inside my camera lens. It has been installed outside completely exposed to the elements for the past 22 days. It has survived a few rainstorms without any problems (it's also currently sprinkling today). Have you contacted the seller to see what they might say?

JMartin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah... seller said, (in broken english) "You can let him work five hours, automatic evaporation fog, never to appear."

So as of last night, no further fog on lens, so I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that it was a one time deal.
I'd hate to find out I have a problem when the camera is mounted 35 feet up the chimney.

scn101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
A fun camera would be the one that @klasipca uses as his avatar on this forum. Now that's a camera!!! I have no idea what brand it is, but it looks great.

Last edited by a moderator:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
this is why you always bench test them well before drilling a bunch of holes in your house :)

Ive never had a camera do that, but given it just came half way across the world sealed up in a lil bag its not wholly unexpected.. Want to know what a factory in china smells like? Well stick your face into your AliExpress package after cutting it open, hope you have all your shots up to-date :p

if you suspect a seal is compromised, disassemble it and put it back together with a lil bit of grease on any gaskets and any place you suspect it may be a problem area.. a silica packet would be fine if you wedge it some place it wont be tumbling around inside.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Oooohhh...

Gotta say, I wasn't too happy about finding this when I came out to check on the camera this morning:

View attachment 10254

Fogged up on the inside. Surely there is a small packet of silica stashed somewhere inside the camera housing... or would that not be a good idea?
It's not on the lens tonight when I got home from work, but I'm nervous that there is some kind of moisture, somewhere within the housing.
Should I be concerned?
I had that happen in Huisun 10x the same day when I mounted, it cleared up after 24 hours.

lulu5kamz

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah... seller said, (in broken english) "You can let him work five hours, automatic evaporation fog, never to appear."

So as of last night, no further fog on lens, so I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that it was a one time deal.
I'd hate to find out I have a problem when the camera is mounted 35 feet up the chimney.
The Sunba also has a setting in the Camera Parameters screen for "Defogging". I don't know if this setting works for this model Sunba I have (I don't think mini dome models have heaters inside), but the setting is turned off by default. Could be worth a try to turn it on just for fun if it ever happens again.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
lol, thats for fog in the air.. not fog on the lens. Its just software processing to add more contrast to a washed out image.. more times than not enabling defog will hurt your image more than it'll help.

defog is absolutely nothing like the defrost button in your car :)

JMartin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looking for your review and thanks for your gamble, I am pondering the same one ( don't know this supplier ) but hey its a couple of bucks,

http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bxcijWWM[/QUOTE] Same supplier, great price, well built, very fast shipping. Your link is the same one as mine, but I wanted Audio too, hence the $24 more on my order. Their listings are contradictory... in many places. They always list the same model number (HD5MP73) but give it different specs based on the time of day or position of the sun or something. I argued that mine might only be 10X zoom and that there was no way in the configuration to prove it, but the supplier insisted that: "Because the Chinese market the camcorder only has 20 x machine. You can look for other cameras. Parameters if the error that we will be customer complaints. Products will not sales." Seriously, that is a cut and paste. :)

JMartin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It's literally hanging off a board screwed to the side of my desk at the moment, in the middle of my theatre. So the furthest it's viewed is about 12 feet and in a purposefully dark room (great for IR testing though). I wanted to make sure it was going to link up to BI and that all the PTZ stuff worked before hanging it outside. Not to mention it rained and even hailed locally yesterday.

We've got a community garage sale this weekend, and I have Friday off, so I'm hoping to strap it on the side of the house before then and do some more poking around with it. If all is well, only then will I attempt the 3 story ladder/roof climb to it's final mounting point. Bought a new 500' box of Cat5e just for the occasion. Oh, and of course the Corner Mount Bracket is still on it's way UPS from some eBay seller in Florida. But I should have some outdoor shots this weekend.

Not sure yet how to post them here... I don't have a YouTube account (but I see a Video Link in the reply editor - so I assume that will work).

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
When I decide its going to be tough to decide where on chimney to place it facing front street or back because I could use two, wish it did 360 Im just to cheap to buy one that can. Look forward to your comments when you install good luck.