Thoughts on my proposed setup.

teeedubb

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

After some recent break ins in my area I am wanting to install a camera system and I am currently feeling a bit overwhelmed - but I've made it here so I'm getting somewhere :)

I was originally planning on this SWANN system but I have moved away from that after some research. I'm planning on getting a 6 camera system and NVR which I believe will give good coverage all around my house. We are only planning on living in this house for 3 years so Im after a capable system for a good price. This equipment will come in at just under the Swann setup (minus the HDD) I had my eye on, but I believe it will give better results for a similar price. While I'd love to buy the bee's knees of systems, this isn't our long term house so we don't want to spend a ton of money on this setup.

This is all new to me so please bear with any noob errors I have made.

The kit I have earmarked is below:

Dahua NVR 4K H.265 POE Video Recorder NVR4208-8P-4KS2
AU $309.28 19%OFF | Dahua NVR 4K H.265 POE Video Recorder NVR4208-8P-4KS2 NVR4216-16P-4KS2 8 POE port 8CH 16CH Up to 8MP Resolution EASY4IP DVR

4x Dahua IP Camera 4MP Poe IPC-HDW4431C-A 2.8mm focal length
AU $66.57 17%OFF | Dahua IP Camera 4MP Poe IPC-HDW4431C-A IR30M Mini Camera H.265 H.264 IVS WDR Built-in MIC cctv network multiple language ONVIF

2x Dahua IP Camera 4MP Poe IPC-HDW4431C-A 6mm focal length
AU $66.57 17%OFF | Dahua IP Camera 4MP Poe IPC-HDW4431C-A IR30M Mini Camera H.265 H.264 IVS WDR Built-in MIC cctv network multiple language ONVIF

1x WD surveillance HDD 2-4tb

What are people's thoughts on this setup? Anything glaring wrong? Anything that can be swapped out for better equipment in a similar price range? Is it any good? Anything I missed and should be considering?

Thanks for taking the time to read this post and for helping out this camera noob.

Kn10

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Looks pretty straight forward.

Remember that cameras won't stop a break in, it'll just watch them do it. I'd generally look at physical security first.

As for them cameras, I would angle you towards better cameras, but as you said this is only a temporary install.

The big issue is those have a 1/3" sensor. The smaller the sensor, generally the worse it sees at night (there are other variables of course).
The main fixed lens darling here is the IPC-5442-AS, which has a 1/1.8 sensor (its "of an inch" so this is larger than 1/3). Its a good balance of MP and sensor.

If you do still want something low priced, I would definitely go through @EMPIRETECANDY's Aliexpress store: Empire Technology Co., Ltd - Amazing prodcuts with exclusive discounts on AliExpress

Aliexpress is the wild west, so many scammers there. Many of the cameras there were intended for the Chinese market (cheaper) and then have the English language hacked on.
The problem with that is you can't upgrade the firmware.

Andy is a trustworthy seller, his stuff was always destined for the English market, and he looks after his customers. Most people here buy from him including myself. 10 day shipping to Australia.

Last edited:

teeedubb

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys, it's really helpful - I didn't know about those cams having hacked firmware.

Step 1 buy an alarm system
I'm looking at buying one too but I didn't think this was the place to ask - but since we're talking about, are there any recommended systems I should be looking at?

Just use this CAM. The price there is no big difference.
IPC-T2431T-AS
NVR4208-8P-4KS2
Thanks for the link. As for the NVR, are there any alternatives with similar features that I could be looking at to save some costs?

Thanks again guys

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
if you are interested in International Dahua cameras, a forum member sells dahua (and some Hikvision) and ships world wide. You can read some of the members recommendations on his service. He also provides cameras to other forum member for evaluation and reviews.
You can email him for a quote, or purchase from his Aliexpress store or his Amazon store. The cameras are fully upgradable, he posts upgrade software when available.

Current supply may be limited do to the Covid-19. Do to Covid-19 shipping has also gotten slow. I recommend email Andy

Andy
@EMPIRETECANDY
kingsecurity2014@163.com
Andy's ipcamtalk vendor forum: EmpireTech Andy
Andy's AliExpress store: Empire Technology Co., Ltd - Amazing prodcuts with exclusive discounts on AliExpress
Andy's Amazon store: Amazon.com

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys, it's really helpful - I didn't know about those cams having hacked firmware.

I'm looking at buying one too but I didn't think this was the place to ask - but since we're talking about, are there any recommended systems I should be looking at?

Thanks for the link. As for the NVR, are there any alternatives with similar features that I could be looking at to save some costs?

Thanks again guys
See the security and home automation subject area of this site.

teeedubb

n3wb
Reaction score
Cheers guys. I ordered 6 cameras that @EMPIRETECANDY recommended above from the ipcamtalk store and and 4208-8p NVR, plus a Bosch alarm system. Now the wait for it all to come in.

Any guides on best practice for installation? I'm familiar with running cables in houses and terminating cat cable into jacks. Is it better to terminate the cables into jacks and use a patch cable to connect the camera to the cable?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Run the cables directly to the camera. I do not like patch panels for small system, Then connect them to the POE ports on the NVR. Test each camera in the NVR before installing, using a short premade cable. After you plug in a camera to the NVR, make sure to plug the same camera into the same port each time. The NVR configures the IP address on the camera based upon the NVR port.

Use Cat5e or cat6 cable. Cat 5e is easier to run than cat6 (stiff) .
Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
Use the correct wiring specs for the connectors, the wire colors and order do mater.

568b2.jpg