Thoughts on Physically Locating PoE and CAT6?

JackLeach1

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm ready to install CAT6 and my switch. I have full access to attics where i can run the CAT, and currently have drywall open (remodeling) to get from 2nd floor to 1st floor office.

I'm Unsure about where to physically place my switch:

- run short lengths of CAT from cameras to switch that ShowBox – Download ShowBox App APK Free for Android, iOS & PC TutuApp - Download TutuApp APK for Android & iOS (iPhone/iPad) i can place in a closet with power, and then 1 CAT back to the attic and down thru the wall to office to BI PC.
or
- run longer lengths of CAT from all cameras down through the wall to have switch located in office with BI PC, and beside my router.

I'm not anticipating more than 4 cameras ATT, so that much CAT thru a wall would not be a big deal, but if the switch is in the closet, adding CAT and camera later would be easier.

What are some thoughts?

Last edited:

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Either or as it really doesn't matter so long as no one run of Cat6 is over 330'. If the closet gets warm then you may want to keep the switch out of it and locate it in the office.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I can see where option A is ok as far as less cabling to run. That, and maybe not hearing the noise from a POE switch fan running in your office. although some are fanless.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
When I convert to IP cams at home, that'll be how I do it. I'll try and keep the POE switch in the garage attic, and pull my runs there. Since I already have 1 Cat 5e pulled in from garage attic into the lower level of the house at the place where everything meets.Computer/ISp/Switch.

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Option A - put the switch in the closet. As @sebastiantombs says, "cameras multiply like rabbits", so having the switch in the closet will reduce the cabling in the office. A good GB switch will provide more than enough bandwidth to the BI PC. However, run a minimum of two cables downstairs. It will help you when you get another camera to setup, another anything to setup and you need another port.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Another thought would be to install conduit from the attic down to where ever you locate your switch and the same thing between the switch location and where you have the NVR/VMS. That way getting in additional cables is much easier. If you think you need four cameras, plan for at least 16.

Snapper30

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
^^^^^
What they said, especially pulling more than one cable downstairs.

Also highly recommend pulling at least two cables to each camera location - helps with troubleshooting and future expansion.

Does your house have a wired network for internet? Consider adding /upgrading networking while the walls are open. A separate network for the cameras is more secure. I used different color cables to help differentiate between LANs, possibly overkill for a home but..

Reaction score
Another thought would be to install conduit from the attic down to where ever you locate your switch and the same thing between the switch location and where you have the NVR/VMS. That way getting in additional cables is much easier. If you think you need four cameras, plan for at least 16.
great point! I ran a 2" EMT conduit through a closet from my 2nd floor attic to my 1st floor ceiling area. Not many folks will run new coaxial (original house had RJ59, I slapped in RJ6) nor run 40+ cat6 cables...but I did :) That 2" conduit is maxed out. Now I wish I should of slapped in a 2nd 2" conduit or just 1 3".

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm ready to install CAT6 and my switch. I have full access to attics where i can run the CAT, and currently have drywall open (remodeling) to get from 2nd floor to 1st floor office.

- run short lengths of CAT from cameras to switch that i can place in a closet with power, and then 1 CAT back to the attic and down thru the wall to office to BI PC.
or
- run longer lengths of CAT from all cameras down through the wall to have switch located in office with BI PC, and beside my router.

I'm not anticipating more than 4 cameras ATT, so that much CAT thru a wall would not be a big deal, but if the switch is in the closet, adding CAT and camera later would be easier.

What are some thoughts?
Welcome @JackLeach1

You've got some solid advice so far ..

I made a data "closet" in a 2nd floor hall closet, and had to put in vents to deal with the heat generated by my router, switch, NAS, PC server, .. worked well.

Holbs has some very good advice that I concur with:

".. I ran a 2" EMT conduit through a closet from my 2nd floor attic to my 1st floor ceiling area. Not many folks will run new coaxial (original house had RJ59, I slapped in RJ6) nor run 40+ cat6 cables...but I did :) That 2" conduit is maxed out. Now I wish I should of slapped in a 2nd 2" conduit or just 1 3"." - Holbs

ref: what I did

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

- run short lengths of CAT from cameras to switch that i can place in a closet with power, and then 1 CAT back to the attic and down thru the wall to office to BI PC.
or

What are some thoughts?
Hi @JackLeach1

2 story house .. access to the attics .. question, where do you plan to place the cameras?