Thoughts on this build for $150?

Vtor

n3wb
Reaction score
Started this process a couple of weeks ago. Intended to run a 9 camera system (Lorex from Costco) with an NVR. Remote viewing is very important to me. After reading a lot here, I have decided to change it up and go with a Blue Iris system. I found the following computer on CL for $150 and wanted to get some opinions. Thanks in advance!

Dell Optiplex 960
Intel Core 2 Duo E8500
3.16GHz
8GB ram
250 GB Primary Boot-Up HDD, and a 750 GB HDD
Windows 7 Ultimate

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Started this process a couple of weeks ago. Intended to run a 9 camera system (Lorex from Costco) with an NVR. Remote viewing is very important to me. After reading a lot here, I have decided to change it up and go with a Blue Iris system. I found the following computer on CL for $150 and wanted to get some opinions. Thanks in advance!

Dell Optiplex 960
Intel Core 2 Duo E8500
3.16GHz
8GB ram
Windows 7 Ultimate
Hi Vtor,

From what I have been reading you'll want a CPU which supports some hardware acceleration for H.264/H.265 - and thus newer gen i5/i7 chips are preferred. IIRC some of the newer non-i5/i7 chips may be ok. Do look for Blue Iris hardware on this forum and search for the associated threads.

Vtor

n3wb
Reaction score
Figured it was too good to be true! Thanks for the response and I will keep looking.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

Dell Optiplex 960
Intel Core 2 Duo E8500
3.16GHz
8GB ram
Windows 7 Ultimate
Anyone selling that old junk for 150 is a fraudster....

Vtor

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Fender and Looney..... just having some issues deciphering the newer i5 from a older and the same for the i7. Ill figure it out sooner or later. Thanks again! This is another that I have looked at...... Thoughts here? Thanks to all in advance!

Acer Aspire
Intel Core i7 3770 (3.40 GHz)
10 GB DDR3
2 TB HDD
Intel HD Graphics 4000
4 Lan port NIC

Vtor

n3wb
Reaction score
Might pay up to $250 for that if it comes with a windows license.
Thanks bp..... The guy has that listed for $300 but said he was open to offers. Gonna see what I can get him down to! Thanks again! SOrry to be a bother folks!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks bp..... The guy has that listed for $300 but said he was open to offers. Gonna see what I can get him down to! Thanks again! SOrry to be a bother folks!
Even 250 is a stretch...you are talking about a 4 year old system...if you follow the dell outlet and ebay you can pick up a modern i7 haswell for 400 or so...with the new eighth gen processors you will do even better soon...what resolution are your 9 cams?

Vtor

n3wb
Reaction score
Even 250 is a stretch...you are talking about a 4 year old system...if you follow the dell outlet and ebay you can pick up a modern i7 haswell for 400 or so...with the new eighth gen processors you will do even better soon...what resolution are your 9 cams?
I plan to take the Costco system back. Mainly because of the horrible remote access reviews that it has received. I have contacted Andy and will probably start out with 3 or 4 of the 2mp starlight turrets. The plan is to become somewhat proficient with those and see where my dark spots are to determine if more are needed or different types of cams are needed. I hope this helps sir. Thanks in advance as always.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I plan to take the Costco system back. Mainly because of the horrible remote access reviews that it has received. I have contacted Andy and will probably start out with 3 or 4 of the 2mp starlight turrets. The plan is to become somewhat proficient with those and see where my dark spots are to determine if more are needed or different types of cams are needed. I hope this helps sir. Thanks in advance as always.
look for an i5-6500 machine ...