Tired of doorcams, what normal camera can I use ?

Chura

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm tired of Doorbells, I have AP 3m from it and it still fail.
I'm thinking to install just normal camera with Mic/Speaker. How good does it works as "doorbell" like expirience ?

Also, I'll appreciate recommendation, no need for PTZ

1661784943396.png

Chura

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
From what perspective?
I don't care people lookinng up

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You won't see faces, all you will get is tops of heads.
Any camera you expect to get a face ID from, needs to not be installed any higher than 8ft, lower is better.
Most people don't look up, they also wear hats, and a lot look down.

Chura

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I see
Doable
Now just find which
Smaller footprint preference

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
I have an Nutone intercom doorbell that is 30 years old. Personally, I think an intercom is overrated. Call me a curmudgeon LOL, but I don't answer the door if I'm not expecting anyone. I've rarely used the intercom in 30 years and when I did it was pretty much to tell people "not interested". Most people I know, when I'm not answering the door, know to call or text me. If I don't know you and I'm not expecting you then I don't want to talk to you at my front door. In fact I have a note covering the doorbell button that says "Please do not ring the doorbell or knock on the door, leave a note instead". I work from home and don't need my crazy loud doorbell to ring in the middle of a conference call.

See links below, I've done this scheme twice now.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
And this is what you might expect with a ceiling mounted cam. Your ceiling appears to be 9.5 - 10 feet up while mine is 12 feet therefore your view would be even better.

Chura

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
And this is what you might expect with a ceiling mounted cam. Your ceiling appears to be 9.5 - 10 feet up while mine is 12 feet therefore your view would be even better.

Not sure if you're in favor or not :)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
And we see what we all talk about - you got a great shot of the top of his head from the camera 12 feet up, but your camera around 5 feet captures the face!

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm in favor of mounting a E3241F-AS-M at 58" - 60" off the floor in the corner similar to mine. And, installing a small cam on the ceiling if you want to have a "package cam". Part of the problem with your current doorbell cam is that it faces the opposite wall instead of outward. Your entry is similar to mine. BTW, I eventually used corridor mode for the wedge cam just for grins.

1661799422332.png

Chura

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm in favor of mounting a E3241F-AS-M at 58" - 60" off the floor in the corner similar to mine. And, installing a small cam on the ceiling if you want to have a "package cam". Part of the problem with your current doorbell cam is that it faces the opposite wall instead of outward. Your entry is similar to mine. BTW, I eventually used corridor mode for the wedge cam just for grins.

View attachment 138339
Thanks for the tip. Not sure my management will allow that camera in there.
The current Doorbell is giving me a great wide view, covering more then I need this way (it has a 10 degree mount)
My biggest issue is that its keep disconnecting from Wifi, and 2way audio works 1% of the times via the Hikvision app

Chura

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
and here we can see how good the wifi is :(
1661800605788.png

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
There aren't many on this forum that recommend WiFi for exactly the reason you mention. The problem is a lot more common than the WiFi cam reviewers will admit. It's amusing whenever I see an article for "The best security cameras for 2022" a ton of them are for WiFi cams. They probably have the cam sitting next to the router while they do their analysis.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Note:

Sybertiger has one camera by the door at about facelevel .. and one camera looking down at the package drop location .. personally I like this sort of setup ..

I would also consider a video doorbell / intercom product .. could be a cloud dependent product if you like

Chura

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Note:

Sybertiger has one camera by the door at about facelevel .. and one camera looking down at the package drop location .. personally I like this sort of setup ..

I would also consider a video doorbell / intercom product .. could be a cloud dependent product if you like
Here we don't have packages left near the door, so I don't worry about that.
Facelevel mini camera is where I'm going, just trying to find solution for speaker there