TL-SG1008P Question

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
So with the short in the second cable, would 2 lights come on at the remote end?

Anto

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@nayer, I put the pieces back together, it still showed continuity at other end even with the blue shorted cable.

This is direct burial cat 5E cable at the other end, still showing continuity,

Last edited by a moderator:

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
According to information about this tester you will only see the problem by looking at the remote end. The master will always show the same as @nayr, said. Sounds like a lot of running around to check.

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The blue plenum cable is the shorted one, the Link Master tester does not have LED lights on the remote end.
Sorry, replying while you were. Then I would say you did right by smashing it.

Anto

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
According to information about this tester you will only see the problem by looking at the remote end. The master will always show the same as @nayr, said. Sounds like a lot of running around to check.
Well the tester still did not see any problem at the other end, all LEDs blinked in normal sequential order.

Anto

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Did you read post 20?
I'm not familiar with this tester but there are many videos on YouTube showing it and they all show led's on the remote. As long as you have the other tester in hand you should be able to solve your problems.

Anto

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Did you read post 20?
I'm not familiar with this tester but there are many videos on YouTube showing it and they all show led's on the remote. As long as you have the other tester in hand you should be able to solve your problems.
@nayr is correct! At the remote end the HDE tester does have LED lights and those lights did not light in sequential order.

Who in their right mind designed the HDE tester? If you have a 100 meter run you would have to run back and forth at least 200 meters or hire another person to be at the remote end to tell you which order the LED lights are blinking. I am still throwing the HDE tester in the garbage, would not recommend to anyone.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
dont worry, your not the first nor the last to misunderstand how those simple contuinty testers work.. its basically a test lamp like your daddy used in his garage and quite useless if you dont know how to read it correctly.

there are much better testers, but a tool is only as good as the person holding it.. the best hammer in the world is a pretty shitty screwdriver :p

even though these are about as simple as they get, you'll still find em in almost every networking toolbox, because despite having tons of fancy high end testers around.. they have to be charged and checked in/out due to the expense and desire to prevent em from walking away.. and these things go for decades off a 9v battery it seems.. so its cheap to loose and replace and find again and have a couple extras and its not really that much of a pain if you know how to use it.

Yeah I'll pull out the fluke when I am punching through lots of new cabling, its definitely worth it.. but when I am at home and I want to punch a new run somewhere I can accomplish it by using one of these and monitoring interface error counters durring stress testing.. pretty easy to determine if wiring is an issue w/bench testing and dumb testers.

mando209

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
hey that hde tester works good for me lol:D.$5 money's worth.light #3 dont work but i always have a hik dome to test with first.

Brad_C

Banned
Reaction score
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LCD-Network-LAN-Phone-Coaxial-Cable-Twisted-Wire-Tester-Meter-Cat5-RJ45-Measure-/271786767164?hash=item3f47c0f33c:g:thgAAOSwqu9U7XLQ

I have an early version of one of these. Was about $30 landed. In fact I have two, the first was DOA and while I waited for the replacement I repaired the first (cracked MLCC Cap).
It does great pair verification diagnostics and has a functional enough TDR to tell you which end of the cable the fault lies in. Also good for rough cable length measurements and appears to be accurate to +/- a couple of meters. The other neat thing is the beeping dongle. Wired up 8 ports into a patch bay and forgot to identify the cables? Plug the dongle into one of the remote ports and cycle the master through until you hear the dongle beep, then run the pair/length test and you're good to go.

I had one of those blinky light ones, but I needed to do some measurements one day and these caught my eye. They've made quick verification of cable issues a doddle. For example one of my sockets in the field developed a dicky pin. Pop the TDR on and when it says 3 pairs are 40M and one pair is 38M and you have about 2M of patch lead on the other end, you know exactly where to look. Best $30 I spent that year. It's not a patch on a Fluke, but it does what I need it to do for around the houses.