Too many Choices need some help

BobW55

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am looking for an outdoor Starlight capable camera for viewing the sky.
Member bp2008 has shown me pictures from his Dahua SD49225T-HN

This picture was taken at 11:49 PM, and this is exactly the image quality at night I am looking for. Although it is night time, I can clearly make out the clouds.
I have pretty much settled on a Dahua Starlight model, but there are so many to choose from.
What I need is a non PTZ, Bullet or turret. Need to be able to aim about 20 degrees up so I am not looking at the roof of my house, or my neighbors house.
This is where my current PTZ is mounted:

IR ability does not matter, it will be turned off anyway. Prefer something that can auto shutter speed, need a slower shutter at night. The camera is currently set up to capture JPG images and not video.
I have read more threads about the Starlight round up, and I was left with more questions and confusion over all the models. I would like to stay in a $200-$350 budget range.
I know most of you have yours set up for video security, and could care less about the sky.
Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Bob

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
That PTZ can tilt upward so the bottom of the frame is about level with the horizon.

If you don't care about PTZ for this camera though, then the most popular varifocal turret is probably the best. Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

Even if you don't need it to be varifocal, the larger lens compared to a fixed focus should yield better night results.

A more expensive alternative is the ultra starlight bullet which has a larger sensor and therefore works a bit better with low light. IPC-HFW8232E-Z | Dahua Technology - Dahua Technology

Neither will do its best as a weather cam if you leave exposure on auto. You'll want to configure manual exposure for night.

BobW55

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The IPC-HFW8232E-Z | Dahua Technology - Dahua Technology
Is kind of on the top of my list so far. It is at the high end of my budget, but from the reviews I have read and the pictures from it, it looks the best.
Someone is really missing out that they don't make a better camera for us weather enthusiast.
Thanks for the reply's, I am still looking. I did find the post about the different model #s that helped tons. USA/IPCamera/ - Dahua Wiki

Bob

BobW55

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Neither will do its best as a weather cam if you leave exposure on auto. You'll want to configure manual exposure for night.
Are the configurations for the camera stored IN the camera, or do you have to keep the configuration software running in the back ground to switch between day and night time profiles.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are the configurations for the camera stored IN the camera, or do you have to keep the configuration software running in the back ground to switch between day and night time profiles.
All settings are setup in the camera, and stored in the cam.

BobW55

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sent email to empiretecandy
See what he can do for me.
Thanks

BobW55

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ordered and on the way!
Woohoo

BobW55

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Will do,
If Andy's shipping estimate is accurate, I should have it on Friday.

Boxy345

n3wb
Reaction score
Andy shipping info is spot on unless natural disaster affects shipping route

BobW55

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Must be. Camera is in Ohio already. I have never gotten something so quick from China.

BobW55

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Dumb question #1
Is it better to up-grade the firmware before doing any of the configuration, or does it not really matter?

BobW55

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok I am officially impressed.
1) Ordered last Saturday night, arrive today (6 days)
2) Little trouble with my network but got it straightened out.
3) Have it laying on a chair in my basement, only a bit of light coming through a window. Image is bright as if I had all the lights on.
Got the firmware updated to NTSC most painless firmware upgrade I have ever done.
@nayr and @bp2008 and @EMPIRETECANDY Thanks for the input and suggestions.
Have to build a junction box that can hook to my radio tower (pick one up today)
Hopefully I can get this mounted before the end of the day.
Will post pictures then.

Bob

BobW55

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Managed to get her mounted. Still have to run sealant around the edge, remove the plastic covering the lens.

Here is an image from the old PTZ camera just before I ook it down.
20171029121832.jpg

Here is an image with the new camera:

sky_eye .jpg

And here is a screen grab from the main live feed:

Ok Back up on the tower.

Attachments

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Looking forward to some great night time shots!

BobW55

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That makes two of us. Have to find something that better explains all the settings.