[tool] [tutorial] Free AI Person Detection for Blue Iris

Senor Pibb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Spending way too many hours trying to get AI Tool to work with my Docker instance of Deepstack running on my QNAP NAS. Keep getting this error when it tries to analyze alert images.

2020-11-05 16:29:16.047353|Debug|AITOOLS.EXE|DetectObjects|192.168.1.155:5000|Front_AI|Front_Cam.20201105_162915477.jpg| Starting analysis of S:\BI_AI\Front_Cam.20201105_162915477.jpg...|87|1||7
2020-11-05 16:29:16.100319|Debug|AITOOLS.EXE|IsValidImage|192.168.1.155:5000|Front_AI|None| Image file is valid: Front_Cam.20201105_162915477.jpg|88|2||7
2020-11-05 16:29:16.103317|Debug|AITOOLS.EXE|DetectObjects|192.168.1.155:5000|Front_AI|Front_Cam.20201105_162915477.jpg| (1/6) Uploading a 2562149 byte image to DeepQuestAI Server at 2020-11-05 16:29:16.160282|Error|AITOOLS.EXE|DetectObjects|192.168.1.155:5000|Front_AI|Front_Cam.20201105_162915477.jpg| Got http status code 'Forbidden' (403) in 57ms: Forbidden|90|1||7
2020-11-05 16:29:16.164279|Error|AITOOLS.EXE|DetectObjects|192.168.1.155:5000|Front_AI|Front_Cam.20201105_162915477.jpg| Empty string returned from HTTP post.|91|1||7
2020-11-05 16:29:16.166279|Debug|AITOOLS.EXE|DetectObjects|192.168.1.155:5000|Front_AI|Front_Cam.20201105_162915477.jpg| Total Time: 536ms (Count=1, Min=536ms, Max=536ms,
403 forbidden when sending image to deepstack. That I have no clue on the 403. But I do see deepquestai/deepstack . I think that is different than mine. Somethings will be different as cpuset and host_os as I am running Unraid for my NAS. I have :latest added. I think that is just the version and yours may default to latest. just not sure.

root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name='deepstack' --net='br0' --ip='192.168.0.179' --cpuset-cpus='3,4,5,19,20,21' -e TZ="America/New_York" -e HOST_OS="Unraid" -e 'VISION-DETECTION'='True' -e 'VISION-FACE'='True' -e 'TZ'='America/New_York' -e 'Mode'='High' 'deepquestai/deepstack:latest'

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
403 forbidden when sending image to deepstack. That I have no clue on the 403. But I do see deepquestai/deepstack . I think that is different than mine. Somethings will be different as cpuset and host_os as I am running Unraid for my NAS. I have :latest added. I think that is just the version and yours may default to latest. just not sure.

root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name='deepstack' --net='br0' --ip='192.168.0.179' --cpuset-cpus='3,4,5,19,20,21' -e TZ="America/New_York" -e HOST_OS="Unraid" -e 'VISION-DETECTION'='True' -e 'VISION-FACE'='True' -e 'TZ'='America/New_York' -e 'Mode'='High' 'deepquestai/deepstack:latest'
Adding :latest to the end of the command still resulted in "command not found". Pretty frustrating because it's probably something very simple I'm not doing right. Just don't have the skills/experience with running Docker containers on a QNAP NAS.

msauto

n3wb
Reaction score
Has anyone had any problems with ai tool not starting up if node red is running on same machine? I have had ai tool running flawlessly for months and last night i installed a node red server on the same machine as ai tool and today ai tool is off and will not start up. Last clip recorded on blue iris was around the time that i installed node red last night. When i click aitool.exe it does nothing, there are no ai tool processes or apps running in task manager and nothing is being triggered to record as far as cameras. Thanks

Village Guy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Has anyone had any problems with ai tool not starting up if node red is running on same machine? I have had ai tool running flawlessly for months and last night i installed a node red server on the same machine as ai tool and today ai tool is off and will not start up. Last clip recorded on blue iris was around the time that i installed node red last night. When i click aitool.exe it does nothing, there are no ai tool processes or apps running in task manager and nothing is being triggered to record as far as cameras. Thanks
Could you have a port conflict ?

msauto

n3wb
Reaction score
Could you have a port conflict ?
Holy Hana ,I hadn't thought about that. I will check it out and get back with you. For the time being i just moved the ai tool program over to another server and it is working fine. But i did change the port that node red runs on from the usual 1880 to 1984 to avoid a port conflict with other instances of node red on my network. Any idea what port ai tool normally grabs? Thanks for the help Village Guy

whoami ™

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Is there anyway to keep snapshots out of clips list in the UI3? I see in BI you can remove them by selecting the folder you store continuous recording in (clips --new) instead of clips --all but it doesnt carry over to web based UI3.

While I'm at it, is there a way to keep Motion Zones alerts out of alerts list and only show Eternal? If I uncheck Motion Zones or all the A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H Motion A seems to always show up in Alerts list. Seems the only way to keep them out is select Flagged Only.

Last edited:

msauto

n3wb
Reaction score
Is there anyway to keep snapshots out of clips list in the UI3? I see in BI you can remove them by selecting the folder you store continuous recording in (clips --new) instead of clips --all but it doesnt carry over to web based UI3.

While I'm at it, is there a way to keep Motion Zones alerts out of alerts list and only show Eternal? If I uncheck Motion Zones or all the A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H Motion A seems to always show up in Alerts list. Seems the only way to keep them out is select Flagged Only.
Yes , its done on a per camera basis. Right click and select "camera settings" on the camera in question then select the "trigger" tab , and at the bottom uncheck "capture an alert list image". Hope this helps.

whoami ™

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I tried closing Node Red and ai tool still did not start so i dont think thats it. But thanks for your help.
You said earlier you checked task manager so I'm guessing windows. Maybe Windows defender put a block on a dll or file AI Tool uses. Windows does it to me all the time Mining software (cryptocurrency). Try adding the folder and process to Exclusions List in Windows Defender and downloading a new copy of AI Tool.

msauto

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes , its done on a per camera basis. Right click and select "camera settings" on the camera in question then select the "trigger" tab , and at the bottom uncheck "capture an alert list image". Hope this helps.
And on the "alerts " tab uncheck everything on the right except "extern"

msauto

n3wb
Reaction score

Sorry, i reply to my own post. lol

msauto

n3wb
Reaction score
You said earlier you checked task manager so I'm guessing windows. Maybe Windows defender put a block on a dll or file AI Tool uses. Windows does it to me all the time Mining software (cryptocurrency). Try adding the folder and process to Exclusions List in Windows Defender and downloading a new copy of AI Tool.
Great idea but i have windows defender and firewall shut down.

Chris Dodge

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've seen a few cases where aitool did not show up in task manager details tab but WAS running. Had to use process hacker to see and kill or else reboot. Also corrupt sqlite database might cause it to crash on start

msauto

n3wb
Reaction score
I've seen a few cases where aitool did not show up in task manager details tab but WAS running. Had to use process hacker to see and kill or else reboot. Also corrupt sqlite database might cause it to crash on start
Thanks Chris. Odd thing is that it was running fine until i installed node red and node js , and now will not run. I know for a fact ai tool is not running because i get no record triggers from my cameras and i have all 12 cameras set to record only off of ai tool triggers.

Chris Dodge

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks Chris. Odd thing is that it was running fine until i installed node red and node js , and now will not run. I know for a fact ai tool is not running because i get no record triggers from my cameras and i have all 12 cameras set to record only off of ai tool triggers.
Does it create aitool log entries? Is there a windows event log entry? Does aitool.exe.dmp crash dump file get created? I think somewhere under localappdata folder.

msauto

n3wb
Reaction score
Does it create aitool log entries? Is there a windows event log entry? Does aitool.exe.dmp crash dump file get created? I think somewhere under localappdata folder.
Someone else mentioned the windows event log and i forgot to check. I will check as soon as i get back. And i just assumed i couldn't access the logs if ai tool wasn't running but makes since that there would be something in appdata, i will take a look. Thanks again for everyone's help. The program is working fine on the other server, i would just like to know what caused the problem for future . Otherwise i can just leave ai tool running on the server it is on now.