[tool] [tutorial] Free AI Person Detection for Blue Iris

MnM

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi GentlePumpkin,

Yes you are correct. For BI v5 'Capture an alert list image' option needs to be enabled.

lviperz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Add me to the list of successful installs. I have it up and running on my BI5 install running on Win10Pro. Only have it setup for one camera at the moment but so far so good.

I did follow the tutorial but had some questions. During the part (1.2) to get deepstack server running, it says to select Detection API but doesn't say if I should unselect Face API. Also, you say to input your API key. Is that the activation key? I can't find an API key and the server says the API keys are optional. I did leave those fields blank and it's working.

During step 2.4 when you disable all unnecessary stuff, I assume that also means disable any zones and object detection stuff? What about the basic motion settings? Do I move the min object size and min contrast all the way to the left?

Thanks for such great work on this. I really appreciate all your work and efforts.

Tinbum

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi GentlePumpkin,

Yes you are correct. For BI v5 'Capture an alert list image' option needs to be enabled.
I don't have it enabled on any of my cameras and it works OK. :(

EDIT- I don't actually save the snapshot image to the alerts folder so that is probably why.

Last edited:

GentlePumpkin

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
During the part (1.2) to get deepstack server running, it says to select Detection API but doesn't say if I should unselect Face API
You can leave it activated, I usually disable it because it might cause that DQAI requires more performance.

Also, you say to input your API key. Is that the activation key? I can't find an API key and the server says the API keys are optional. I did leave those fields blank and it's working.
The DQAI activation key is meant. Were you able to use DQAI without ever entering the activation key? (Because that would be really cool ;))

During step 2.4 when you disable all unnecessary stuff, I assume that also means disable any zones and object detection stuff? What about the basic motion settings? Do I move the min object size and min contrast all the way to the left?
In the camera that the AiTool triggers, I disabled motion detection entirely.

Thanks for your positive feedback :)

Tinbum

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That's correct - the errors are image processing errors, and I'm not sure what's causing them. I've checked a few of the images that caused the errors and they look ok to me.
My system has been running flawlessly for some time but last night I did some housekeeping and installed a new disk drive. I was copying all the files from a 500Gb hard drive to a 6T drive and I kept getting the errors you mentioned. Both drives didn't have any of the image files on and neither are the location where they are saved. The CPU was only running at about 40% so not maxed out and I have plenty of available RAM.. As soon as the copy was finished then no more errors.

sansnil

n3wb
Reaction score
My system has been running flawlessly for some time but last night I did some housekeeping and installed a new disk drive. I was copying all the files from a 500Gb hard drive to a 6T drive and I kept getting the errors you mentioned. Both drives didn't have any of the image files on and neither are the location where they are saved. The CPU was only running at about 40% so not maxed out and I have plenty of available RAM.. As soon as the copy was finished then no more errors.
That's interesting thanks for sharing. I think it also correlates the theory that the computer OS must be 'holding' on to the image files a bit longer than the current version of AI Tool is looking to grab them (500 ms as I recall from GentlePumpkin's post). I'm interested to see if allowing a longer time to pickup the file gets rid of the errors.

Tinbum

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That's interesting thanks for sharing. I think it also correlates the theory that the computer OS must be 'holding' on to the image files a bit longer than the current version of AI Tool is looking to grab them (500 ms as I recall from GentlePumpkin's post). I'm interested to see if allowing a longer time to pickup the file gets rid of the errors.
Perhaps there could be a box in the GUI for setting the time.

sansnil

n3wb
Reaction score
Perhaps there could be a box in the GUI for setting the time.
I like that idea - a setting for changing the default to a custom wait setting would be great as it could optimized for each person's setup.

traceray

n3wb
Reaction score
Great Job Gentle Pumpkin! It's an excellent tool. I am currently using deprecated version 0.6. Do you think it's possible to share the source code of that version? I would like to make it detect multiple people, not only one. The current versions has multiple object and person detection but they dont crop the detections to an output directory.
Thanks in advance

spud51

n3wb
Reaction score
Help, this is not working for me. My BI uses port 81, should the server for the AI be on the same port as I have put it on 80?

Thanks in advance.

spud51

n3wb
Reaction score
Help, this is not working for me. My BI uses port 81, should the server for the AI be on the same port as I have put it on 80?

Thanks in advance.
Sorry probably should have said, this is what I'm getting in the log:

14.10.2019, 22:48:54]: ERROR: Processing the image E:\AI/aigarden.20191014_223104662.jpg failed. Can't reach DeepQuestAI Server at localhost:80.
[14.10.2019, 22:50:34]: ERROR: Processing the image E:\AI/aigarden.20191014_223105664.jpg failed. Can't reach DeepQuestAI Server at localhost:80.
[14.10.2019, 22:52:14]: ERROR: Processing the image E:\AI/aigarden.20191014_223106665.jpg failed. Can't reach DeepQuestAI Server at localhost:80.

lviperz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sorry probably should have said, this is what I'm getting in the log:

14.10.2019, 22:48:54]: ERROR: Processing the image E:\AI/aigarden.20191014_223104662.jpg failed. Can't reach DeepQuestAI Server at localhost:80.
[14.10.2019, 22:50:34]: ERROR: Processing the image E:\AI/aigarden.20191014_223105664.jpg failed. Can't reach DeepQuestAI Server at localhost:80.
[14.10.2019, 22:52:14]: ERROR: Processing the image E:\AI/aigarden.20191014_223106665.jpg failed. Can't reach DeepQuestAI Server at localhost:80.
Try starting the DeepQuestAI server on a different port. Since your BI is using port 81, and port 80 isn't working for the AI, try port 82. I've seen stock installs of Win10 use port 80. I discovered that when my BI wouldn't run on port 80. I don't remember the service it was, but I had to disable said service in order to use port 80 with BI. You do want both BI and AI on different ports. I use 80 for BI and 81 for AI.

spud51

n3wb
Reaction score
Try starting the DeepQuestAI server on a different port. Since your BI is using port 81, and port 80 isn't working for the AI, try port 82. I've seen stock installs of Win10 use port 80. I discovered that when my BI wouldn't run on port 80. I don't remember the service it was, but I had to disable said service in order to use port 80 with BI. You do want both BI and AI on different ports. I use 80 for BI and 81 for AI.
Thanks for your help, I have tried this with no luck. I can access the deep stack server by typing localhost:port and can accesses it from other computers on the same network so im not quite sure what's going wrong :(

IPSweets

n3wb
Reaction score
Fantastic app. Thank you for releasing this!

I have setup this and it is working almost perfectly except for the following error when trying to call a url:

[16.11.2019, 20:40:54]: trigger url: [16.11.2019, 20:40:54]: ERROR: Could not trigger URL 'x', please check if 'x' is correct and reachable.
[16.11.2019, 20:40:54]: -> Trigger URL called.
[16.11.2019, 20:40:54]: -> Trigger URLs called.

Is there something in my URL that isnt supported?

Update: Used a URL shortener to strip out the extra stuff. Not ideal but it works now! :)

Second question: I see in the release notes I can notify based on the type of object detected - what is the syntax for the URL? Sorry if I am blind... :)

Last edited:

Spackler

n3wb
Reaction score
Is this better than Sentry? Is it pretty consistent to alert to people? Just wanted to get someones point of view before I go through the setup process. Thanks.

MnM

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is this better than Sentry? Is it pretty consistent to alert to people? Just wanted to get someones point of view before I go through the setup process. Thanks.
From here here

2 yrs (almost) update:

The Blue Iris AI person Detection is the BEST BI add on (in my opinion) I have seen.
I dont get any more false alerts at all (no tree moving, shadows, etc false alerts). These days when I get an alert I am 100% confident that is a real alert (I only alert for persons) and i have to react to it (watch it on the BI android client).

My stats from running AI Person Detection since June 2019 are:
View attachment 51315
Next best thing apart from no more false alerts - is that AI person Detection is FREE!!!
If you have not installed it do yourself a favor and install it, configure it and get it working with BI!!!

So dont think about it too much. Go install, configure it and use it! You will thank yourself for doing that soon after :)

Alan_F

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I haven't tried Sentry, but this has been working well for me.

I am monitoring a camera that is pointed towards my front door from above and to the side. I have Blue Iris set to save JPGs into the folder for analysis only when motion occurs in the area near the door and I am using a mask in the AI Tool to only look for people in a small area near the door. I am currently saving one image every 2 seconds when motion is detected there. Sometimes the timing of the images places the person either outside the mask or behind a post that obscures them from the cameras view so I see that the image was analyzed but the AI doesn't see the person. I'm sure I could fine tune this by adjusting the mask area and the time between images saved, but it hasn't been that frequent so I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Probably the most confusing part of the setup is getting a bot set up on Telegram for the alerts, but there are decent tutorials online to help with that.

The Telegram alerts seem to be pretty quick and reliable. The alert goes to both my phone and my wife's phone (with a doorbell sound for the alert) and we almost always receive the alerts within a second of each other. Every once in a while Telegram seems to have a delay in sending messages, but it's pretty rare. Also I've noticed that after starting Deepstack the first image analysis takes a long time (20 seconds or more) but after that it typically takes Deepstack 1.2 seconds to analyze the image on my system (i5 4670 with Blue Iris and several other apps running on the same box). From the time a person is in view to the alert on the phone is usually just a few seconds total. I will probably drop the time between JPGs in Blue Iris to 1.5 seconds so it will typically write images almost as fast as Deepstack can process them.

I had a few missed alerts when the camera was in night mode (black & white) and when I reviewed the images it looked like the contrast of the person against the background was really low, so I switched the camera a few days ago to stay in day mode all the time. There is enough light near the front door that I think this will work better.

Overall I'm very happy with the AI Tool.

Spackler

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for the responses. I am going to get it setup now. Any suggestions, lessons learned or things to look out for while I am setting up?

Disable unneccessary stuff - What all should be disabled?

My Triggers are not working either. I am getting prompted to enter username and password even though I have it in the address.

ERROR: Could not trigger URL 'x', please check if 'x' is correct and reachable.

Can I also expect not to see anymore short videos in my alerts?
How can I add them back as I use the BI app on my phone so that I can see the alerts and video to what the AI has alerted me to.
Thanks

Last edited:

MnM

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My Triggers are not working either. I am getting prompted to enter username and password even though I have it in the address.

ERROR: Could not trigger URL 'x', please check if 'x' is correct and reachable.

Can I also expect not to see anymore short videos in my alerts?
How can I add them back as I use the BI app on my phone so that I can see the alerts and video to what the AI has alerted me to.
Thanks
For triggers - I dont have any issues with this as I have added an exemption for the BI server itself so I will not require a password (BI Settings>>Web Server>>Advanced>> Limit IP Addresses - enter your BI ip address in there using this format ^192.168.100.1, then press OK.

WebServer.jpg

In AI Tool this is the format I use for triggering - (change the IP address and camera short name as per your settings of course)

AICamTrigger.jpg

You should be seeing alerts in BI (and BI client). I believe you dont see them as it might be a configuration issue. Below are my settings for the original camera and the cloned camera. Use these as a starting point and customize as per your requirements.

Also I believe Disable unnecessary stuff is about the settings on the cameras - only enable what is required. For example in the cloned camera no need for audio or record, etc so in my example these settings are only enabled in the original camera settings.

Original Camera

Original0.jpgOriginal1.jpgOriginal2.jpgOriginal3.jpgOriginal4.jpgOriginal5.jpg

Cloned Camera

Clone0.jpgClone1.jpgClone2.jpgClone3.jpgClone4.jpgClone5.jpg

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Spackler

n3wb
Reaction score
For triggers - I dont have any issues with this as I have added an exemption for the BI server itself so I will not require a password (BI Settings>>Web Server>>Advanced>> Limit IP Addresses - enter your BI ip address in there using this format ^192.168.100.1, then press OK.

View attachment 51689

In AI Tool this is the format I use for triggering - (change the IP address and camera short name as per your settings of course)

View attachment 51691

You should be seeing alerts in BI (and BI client). I believe you dont see them as it might be a configuration issue. Below are my settings for the original camera and the cloned camera. Use these as a starting point and customize as per your requirements.

Also I believe Disable unnecessary stuff is about the settings on the cameras - only enable what is required. For example in the cloned camera no need for audio or record, etc so in my example these settings are only enabled in the original camera settings.

Original Camera

View attachment 51677View attachment 51678View attachment 51679View attachment 51680View attachment 51681View attachment 51682

Cloned Camera

View attachment 51683View attachment 51684View attachment 51685View attachment 51686View attachment 51687View attachment 51688

Hope this helps.
Thank you the triggers seems to not be erroring now. While I was configuring I got two alerts in the BI app, but nothing since. I setup my cameras original and clone just like yours. I got alerts np till setting up the ai. Sure I am missing something simple. Any ideas to get those back would be great. I really want to be able to see the alert video once the ai notifies me via Telegram. Thanks again for all the help.

The AI software seems to not be triggering for it to log in BI. I had my webserver set to 510 but I changed it to 80 and still no trigger.

Last edited: