[tool] [tutorial] Free AI Person Detection for Blue Iris

MnM

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi GentlePumpkin,

Yes you are correct. For BI v5 'Capture an alert list image' option needs to be enabled.

lviperz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Add me to the list of successful installs. I have it up and running on my BI5 install running on Win10Pro. Only have it setup for one camera at the moment but so far so good.

I did follow the tutorial but had some questions. During the part (1.2) to get deepstack server running, it says to select Detection API but doesn't say if I should unselect Face API. Also, you say to input your API key. Is that the activation key? I can't find an API key and the server says the API keys are optional. I did leave those fields blank and it's working.

During step 2.4 when you disable all unnecessary stuff, I assume that also means disable any zones and object detection stuff? What about the basic motion settings? Do I move the min object size and min contrast all the way to the left?

Thanks for such great work on this. I really appreciate all your work and efforts.

Tinbum

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi GentlePumpkin,

Yes you are correct. For BI v5 'Capture an alert list image' option needs to be enabled.
I don't have it enabled on any of my cameras and it works OK. :(

EDIT- I don't actually save the snapshot image to the alerts folder so that is probably why.

Last edited:

GentlePumpkin

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
During the part (1.2) to get deepstack server running, it says to select Detection API but doesn't say if I should unselect Face API
You can leave it activated, I usually disable it because it might cause that DQAI requires more performance.

Also, you say to input your API key. Is that the activation key? I can't find an API key and the server says the API keys are optional. I did leave those fields blank and it's working.
The DQAI activation key is meant. Were you able to use DQAI without ever entering the activation key? (Because that would be really cool ;))

During step 2.4 when you disable all unnecessary stuff, I assume that also means disable any zones and object detection stuff? What about the basic motion settings? Do I move the min object size and min contrast all the way to the left?
In the camera that the AiTool triggers, I disabled motion detection entirely.

Thanks for your positive feedback :)

Tinbum

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That's correct - the errors are image processing errors, and I'm not sure what's causing them. I've checked a few of the images that caused the errors and they look ok to me.
My system has been running flawlessly for some time but last night I did some housekeeping and installed a new disk drive. I was copying all the files from a 500Gb hard drive to a 6T drive and I kept getting the errors you mentioned. Both drives didn't have any of the image files on and neither are the location where they are saved. The CPU was only running at about 40% so not maxed out and I have plenty of available RAM.. As soon as the copy was finished then no more errors.

sansnil

n3wb
Reaction score
My system has been running flawlessly for some time but last night I did some housekeeping and installed a new disk drive. I was copying all the files from a 500Gb hard drive to a 6T drive and I kept getting the errors you mentioned. Both drives didn't have any of the image files on and neither are the location where they are saved. The CPU was only running at about 40% so not maxed out and I have plenty of available RAM.. As soon as the copy was finished then no more errors.
That's interesting thanks for sharing. I think it also correlates the theory that the computer OS must be 'holding' on to the image files a bit longer than the current version of AI Tool is looking to grab them (500 ms as I recall from GentlePumpkin's post). I'm interested to see if allowing a longer time to pickup the file gets rid of the errors.

Tinbum

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That's interesting thanks for sharing. I think it also correlates the theory that the computer OS must be 'holding' on to the image files a bit longer than the current version of AI Tool is looking to grab them (500 ms as I recall from GentlePumpkin's post). I'm interested to see if allowing a longer time to pickup the file gets rid of the errors.
Perhaps there could be a box in the GUI for setting the time.

sansnil

n3wb
Reaction score
Perhaps there could be a box in the GUI for setting the time.
I like that idea - a setting for changing the default to a custom wait setting would be great as it could optimized for each person's setup.

traceray

n3wb
Reaction score
Great Job Gentle Pumpkin! It's an excellent tool. I am currently using deprecated version 0.6. Do you think it's possible to share the source code of that version? I would like to make it detect multiple people, not only one. The current versions has multiple object and person detection but they dont crop the detections to an output directory.
Thanks in advance

spud51

n3wb
Reaction score
Help, this is not working for me. My BI uses port 81, should the server for the AI be on the same port as I have put it on 80?

Thanks in advance.

spud51

n3wb
Reaction score
Help, this is not working for me. My BI uses port 81, should the server for the AI be on the same port as I have put it on 80?

Thanks in advance.
Sorry probably should have said, this is what I'm getting in the log:

14.10.2019, 22:48:54]: ERROR: Processing the image E:\AI/aigarden.20191014_223104662.jpg failed. Can't reach DeepQuestAI Server at localhost:80.
[14.10.2019, 22:50:34]: ERROR: Processing the image E:\AI/aigarden.20191014_223105664.jpg failed. Can't reach DeepQuestAI Server at localhost:80.
[14.10.2019, 22:52:14]: ERROR: Processing the image E:\AI/aigarden.20191014_223106665.jpg failed. Can't reach DeepQuestAI Server at localhost:80.

lviperz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sorry probably should have said, this is what I'm getting in the log:

14.10.2019, 22:48:54]: ERROR: Processing the image E:\AI/aigarden.20191014_223104662.jpg failed. Can't reach DeepQuestAI Server at localhost:80.
[14.10.2019, 22:50:34]: ERROR: Processing the image E:\AI/aigarden.20191014_223105664.jpg failed. Can't reach DeepQuestAI Server at localhost:80.
[14.10.2019, 22:52:14]: ERROR: Processing the image E:\AI/aigarden.20191014_223106665.jpg failed. Can't reach DeepQuestAI Server at localhost:80.
Try starting the DeepQuestAI server on a different port. Since your BI is using port 81, and port 80 isn't working for the AI, try port 82. I've seen stock installs of Win10 use port 80. I discovered that when my BI wouldn't run on port 80. I don't remember the service it was, but I had to disable said service in order to use port 80 with BI. You do want both BI and AI on different ports. I use 80 for BI and 81 for AI.

spud51

n3wb
Reaction score
Try starting the DeepQuestAI server on a different port. Since your BI is using port 81, and port 80 isn't working for the AI, try port 82. I've seen stock installs of Win10 use port 80. I discovered that when my BI wouldn't run on port 80. I don't remember the service it was, but I had to disable said service in order to use port 80 with BI. You do want both BI and AI on different ports. I use 80 for BI and 81 for AI.
Thanks for your help, I have tried this with no luck. I can access the deep stack server by typing localhost:port and can accesses it from other computers on the same network so im not quite sure what's going wrong :(

IPSweets

n3wb
Reaction score
I have setup this and it is working almost perfectly except for the following error when trying to call a url:

[16.11.2019, 20:40:54]: trigger url: [16.11.2019, 20:40:54]: ERROR: Could not trigger URL 'x', please check if 'x' is correct and reachable.
[16.11.2019, 20:40:54]: -> Trigger URL called.
[16.11.2019, 20:40:54]: -> Trigger URLs called.

Is there something in my URL that isnt supported?

Update: Used a URL shortener to strip out the extra stuff. Not ideal but it works now! :)

Second question: I see in the release notes I can notify based on the type of object detected - what is the syntax for the URL? Sorry if I am blind... :)

Last edited: