Total Neophyte and in Need of Advice

LINNV

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm looking for some cameras, both indoor and out, for a residence.
Here are some pertinent points/wants:
-I do not want anything stored in a cloud or have to trust in any 3rd party
-I am NOT handy whatsoever and am more than happy to pay for installation
-Cost isnt a huge consideration but not having to fiddle with an installation is
-Ideally I would be able see live footage when not at home
-Reside in Nevada

I'm sure this is going to open up more questions from yall which I'm more than happy to answer.
Thanks in advance.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Start with one good quality variable focus camera to test your mounting locations, lens size and coverage.

--------------------
My standard welcome to the forum message.

Read Study Plan before spending money
Cameras are for surveillance to get information for after the fact. Cameras are NOT a deterrent.

Please read the IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes and other items in the IP Cam Talk Wiki. (read on a real computer, not a phone). The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) If you do not have a wired monitored alarm system, get that first
2) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras if you need good low light cameras.
3) Start with a good variable focus camera, so you test for the correct lens,lighting, camera placement.
4) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
5) Do not use wifi cameras.
6) Do not use cloud storage
7) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
8) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
9) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
10) Do not use reolink, ring, nest, Arlo, Vivint cameras (they are junk), no cloud cameras
11) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
12) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
13) use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2
14) (Looney2ns)If you want to be able to ID faces, don't mount cams higher than 7ft. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.
15) Use a router that has openVPN built in (Most ASUS, Some NetGear....)
16) camera placement use the calculator... IPVM Camera Calculator V3
17) POE list PoE Switch Suggestion List
18) Camera Sensor size, bigger is general better Sensor Size Chart
19) Camera lens size, a bigger number give more range but less field of view. Which Security Camera Lens Size Should I Buy?
20) verify your camera placement, have a friend wearing a hoodie, ball cap and sunglasses looking down approach the house, can you identify them at night ?
21) DO NOT UPGRADE your NVR or camera unless you absolutely have a problem that needs to be fixed and known what you are doing, if you do you will turn it into a brick !!

Cameras to look at
IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED . Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+) - 4MP starlight
.................... Dahua IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED review
IPC-T5442TM-AS ..... Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ - 4MP starlight+
IPC-HDW5442t-ZE .... Dahua IPC-HDW5442T-ZE 4MP Varifocal Turret - Night Perfomance testing -- variable focus 2.7 mm-12mm 4 MP Starlight
IPC-B5442E-ZE ...... Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+ -- variable 2.7mm-12mm bullet
IPC-B5442E-Z4E .... bullet 8mm-32mm variable focus zoom 4MP
IPC-HFW7442H-Z ..... Review - Dahua IPC-HFW7442H-Z 4MP Ultra AI Varifocal Bullet Camera -- 4 MP variable focus AI

My preferred indoor cameras
DS-2CD2442FWD-IW
IPC-K35A Review-Dahua IPC-K35A 3mp Cube Camera
IPC-K42A

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan
Doing it right the first time will save you money.
Test do not guess

LINNV

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response.

If I provided an installer with instructions and equipment would there be any issues in having them install for me? My time is at a huge premium between work and family responsibilities. The less I have to do, the better. Assuming what I want is possible, who should I be looking to hire to do this work? Are there any important questions I should ask them?

My budget is extremely flexible--its time that I dont have.

What about the wired monitored alarm system? Which companies would you recommend?

I get the impression I'm in the minority as there are lots of DIYers here but its not feasible for me to do much given my time constraints and travel commitments.

Thanks again.

LINNV

n3wb
Reaction score
Hell, if there are some board members that live in the Las Vegas area I'd be more than happy to pay for them to install :)

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You'll want a licensed electrician that can install low voltage wiring for both the video and alarm. If you use a contractor for the alarm make sure they're appropriately licensed.

Unfortunately, video surveillance is not a plug and play item in spite of what Ring, Nest and others may portray. Each camera needs to be properly adjusted for both day and night conditions. Each camera needs to be adjusted for motion detection and that applies to either a VMS like Blue Iris or a simple NVR. It does take some tinkering to get everything "tuned" properly.

LINNV

n3wb
Reaction score
You'll want a licensed electrician that can install low voltage wiring for both the video and alarm. If you use a contractor for the alarm make sure they're appropriately licensed.

Unfortunately, video surveillance is not a plug and play item in spite of what Ring, Nest and others may portray. Each camera needs to be properly adjusted for both day and night conditions. Each camera needs to be adjusted for motion detection and that applies to either a VMS like Blue Iris or a simple NVR. It does take some tinkering to get everything "tuned" properly.
Just so I'm clear, you're suggesting I hire someone to lay down the wiring and then purchase the equipment and tinker with it, right?

Which wired alarm systems come recommended? We just purchased a new home in the area and I'd like to get this work done while we're doing some remodeling, but before officially moving in.

Thanks again.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm suggesting that you buy one varifocal camera like the 5442-ZE series (bullet or turret) and experiment with locations FIRST. Then hire a licensed electrician to pull, terminate and test the wires for you to the locations you find work best. Just putting cameras up willy-nilly based on "I think one should go here" is a plan doomed to fail or produce poor results. Generally, each drop will cost around $150. Another caveat is to make certain that the wire is solid copper and not copper clad aluminum, CCA.

I can't speak to alarm dealers in Las Vegas since I'm in NJ and used to install home security systems for a living, many, many moons ago. I would stick with a wired system over wireless like Simpli Safe. I installed my own system using Ademco/Honeywell components but DSC is also another well rated brand.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Study this carefully on a real computer. Some of the models mentioned are outdated, but the basics still stand.
Wiki

Keep in mind that a LOT of "security installers" don't have the first friggin clue about what they are actually doing.
Same with CCTV installers, lots of them installing subpar equipment, and charging premium prices. While doing a half-ass job.
Like @sebastiantombs suggests, do your home work first so you know the basics of what you need, and the equipment you want. If you can spend some time doing that, you will be a lot farther a head in the ball game. In other words, so you know your stuff and can keep from getting taken by the trunk slammers.

Again, hire an electrician that is certified to do low voltage, (after you have determined the specs you want) Get his references, and go look at his work.

Test each proposed location for a minimum of 24hrs to catch any gotchas, before you permanently mount any camera. See the Wiki on portable test rig. You want to pick a camera specifit for the job it's going to perform. One size rarely fits all.

See this thread on how you don't want your system to turn out.

Reaction score
It sounds like you are not interested in learning the ins and outs of IPCAMS, like most of the folks here. But if you read the Cliff Notes and check out the WIKI, that will at least give you an idea of what to expect.

You have to decide exactly how much you want to understand the IPCAM system and how much involved you want to be in it's installation. It is hard for members here to advise you if you are not really interested in the ins and outs of it.

As far as knowing about vendors in Nevada, maybe @Holbs can chime in.

Reaction score
I'm looking for some cameras, both indoor and out, for a residence.
Here are some pertinent points/wants:
-I do not want anything stored in a cloud or have to trust in any 3rd party
-I am NOT handy whatsoever and am more than happy to pay for installation
-Cost isnt a huge consideration but not having to fiddle with an installation is
-Ideally I would be able see live footage when not at home
-Reside in Nevada

I'm sure this is going to open up more questions from yall which I'm more than happy to answer.
Thanks in advance.
my first glance at your post and my thoughts:
yay...no cloud/3rd party. This is the website for you!
not handy? Then it comes down to...are you afraid or no time? Then be prepared to hire low voltage cable guy or electrician for bookuu dollars (cable guy would come in usually cheaper cause usually not union...plus, they are specialized folks with the right tools such as one of those $15,000 Fluke network testers).
fiddle with installation? I would say Dahua NVR for you. Blue Iris takes fiddling.
Live footage? Hire IT guy to show you have to use VPN between smartphone and NVR.
Reside in Vegas? Sorry to hear that :)

LINNV

n3wb
Reaction score
Well, this is all very helpful. I guess I'll start with these suggestions and I'm sure I'll have more questions as I get deeper in.

First I'll get a camera and start testing locations. I have only been in the residence 3x so I'm not too familiar with it to begin with.
I like heat :)

LINNV

n3wb
Reaction score
So
my first glance at your post and my thoughts:
yay...no cloud/3rd party. This is the website for you!
not handy? Then it comes down to...are you afraid or no time? Then be prepared to hire low voltage cable guy or electrician for bookuu dollars (cable guy would come in usually cheaper cause usually not union...plus, they are specialized folks with the right tools such as one of those $15,000 Fluke network testers).
fiddle with installation? I would say Dahua NVR for you. Blue Iris takes fiddling.
Live footage? Hire IT guy to show you have to use VPN between smartphone and NVR.
so i bought the EmpireTech 4MP Ultra Low Light IP Camera,Starlight IR Motorized 2.7mm-12mm Lens Turret Camera and attempted to get it powered. this may sound silly but i'm not sure how to even power it to get testing. i got a poe splitter as well but dont think necessary for testing. tried both configurations (pictured) but cant seem to get any power/picture. any advice? thanks.

Attachments

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
for testing...plug the camera directly into your POE switch and see what happens.
in the pictures you uploaded, not sure what that white device is... but it may not be outputting any POE.

LINNV

n3wb
Reaction score
for testing...plug the camera directly into your POE switch and see what happens.
in the pictures you uploaded, not sure what that white device is... but it may not be outputting any POE.
thx. white device is a modem/router. should be sufficient right? doesnt seem to be.

Reaction score
some devices label the port as POE. Some do not.
If you plug the camera directly into that port and it does not power on, then it is no POE port.
Not sure if you know or not....all IP cameras require POE port. granted, you could find alternate 24vdc (or 12vdc...I forget what IP cameras take). Most folks buy one of those dinky 5 port POE Netgear switch for $20 or so, to get started.

LINNV

n3wb
Reaction score
ok thanks. i'm going to go ahead and order one of those and i'll get back to you. thanks!