Toyota Plans to Charge You to Use Your Key Fob

fergenheimer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My wife's mercedes has remote start via an app. In that case, the app on the phone connects to mbrace which is a subscription and sends a signal from them to the car. In the case of the keyfob where the signal is from the fob to the car with no interaction on the part of outside services, there is nothing to charge for and market forces will squash this (hopefully).

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Trying to start this pay-for-play subscription on a vehicle that was sold to a consumer in the past and then enforcing it after the fact? I smell a H-U-G-E class action law suit.

Both my 2018 F-150 and my wife's 2020 Fusion Titanium have remote start with the key fob, but only her's can remote start with the Fordpass app on a smartphone, likely because it has a 4G modem that works for that even though I didn't pay AT&T after the 90 day free trial to use as a Wi-Fi hotspot.

Using the app on my iPhone is slow and tedious, a PITA. I'd just as soon walk to the door, point it toward the house door or house window glass with the vehicle in sight and in 2 presses the vehicle starts and I get a green LED flash to confirm it worked. I mean how lazy can we be any way?

It's not clear how they could control a key fob unless it would comm with a 4G modem in the car that they can control remotely. If so, what happens when you're in an area with no cellular service?

I think it's a VERY bad idea and hope that it backfires on the automaker big time that tries it.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My wife's 2017 Taurus has Remote Start via her key fob, she has never used or signed up for Ford Pass, we hardly ever use it though. I could see where it would be nice in cold weather. Down South, in order to get the heat out of your vehicle you need to lower all the windows so the remote start really does not help much, it would have to run for a long time to cool the interior. My 2019 Highlander does not have remote start even though it is a Platinum. I guess I could add a third party device but doubt I would use it much.

Been looking to add a Dash Cam though, been looking at this one:

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I'll start and preface my reply that I really enjoy watching Steve Lehto's videos. As he brings awareness to the general public of topics that span crazy funny to out and out stupid when speaking about the law. I watched this video and have to say in this instance Steve missed the mark on the subscription model Toyota is pushing.

In the video he affirms not once but several times that depending upon vehicle / model. A vehicle comes with a subscription that spans 3~10 years.

Once again, said vehicle comes with a SUBSCRIPTION that spans 3~10 years . . .

Now, if we ignore the fact 99% of the people rarely if ever read the fine print or even bother to ask what said subscription encompasses. If they had they would quickly see it covers the ability to remote start the vehicle through cellular communications.

To be clear, which isn't made clear . . . :facepalm:

Is does the key fob have any RF to start the vehicle?? If it does and Toyota has also tied the same to the subscription model that is clearly bulls shit. But, once again the video doesn't address that specifically but more so toward a cellular connection.

As an aside if the vehicle maker said this car comes with a lifetime (free) cellular connection and than back tracked years later to ask for money - well that's wrong and illegal. Than again, almost every business has some kind of cryptic TOS they incorporate and once you click install that little box you just checked off says you agree to those Terms of Service which allowed you to download, install, and use said features / product / service.

Regardless, all of my vehicles have local remote start and terrestrial cellular remote start. All of the terrestrial remote starts came with X years of free service. Once lapsed, it was up to me to continue to pay for the service to enable me to remote start or do whatever from pop the trunk, lock - unlock the doors, to enable a shut down of the vehicle in case of a car jacking / theft.

The only point I feel Steve had good standing on was about the actual running of the vehicle. Only stupid people would accept buying a vehicle and not being able to start the vehicle locally by a key.

NickTheGreat

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
My 2017 Chevy Silverado has the Remote Start App and it came with 5 years free. I'm almost at that now, and it's $15 a month, I believe.

Its really nice, but not $180/yr nice.

I guess I'm not surprised to see the subscription route, but i sure hate it.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
My 2017 Chevy Silverado has the Remote Start App and it came with 5 years free. I'm almost at that now, and it's $15 a month, I believe.

Its really nice, but not $180/yr nice.

I guess I'm not surprised to see the subscription route, but i sure hate it.
+1

I'll add that depending upon who the vehicle maker is and what service / features are included. Some offer a lot of value and personal safety and protection when traveling in remote locations. I don't know if this has changed from the past but the GM On Star in some cases offered great value as it allowed just a monthly subscription with no term.

It included all of the road side assistance similar to (CAA / AAA) for tire change, gas fill, and long distance tow. The concierge service was nice as you could ask a real person where the closets hotel, gas station, police, hospital, etc.

The best value / feature was having the ability to call / receive calls anywhere in NA without any roaming fee's etc.

Going on a last minute road trip and want some extra protection for the family???

The above offered all of that and more and could cancel at the end of the month . . . :thumb:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Right now we start the Fusion and the F-150 by cracking the house door a tad and use the keyfob remote's local (RF) feature to remote start.
I seldom use the app that the Fusion has to start globally via cellular and they can cancel it if it ever comes to a subscription, don't need it and sure ain't gonna pay for it.
Good Lord we get nickle & dimed to death now for every little thing in life....and it adds up, too!:headbang:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Both the Mrs. and I have after market remote start in our vehicles, a Civic for her and an F-150 for me. Hers has a separate fob. Mine uses the OEM remote provided on the physical key. Frankly I don't want a vehicle with "push button" start and auto unlock. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but a real key seems more re-assuring in terms of security. Problem is all the cars seem to be using "keyless" entry and start now. I'm not happy with that at all.

Last edited:

mcapeed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It’s happening whether we like it or not. With all the chips and tech they are like 4 wheel computers. OTA updates are required and are being done now. It costs money for manufacturers to do these updates so we get to pay for them. I don’t like it but only way to avoid it is to drive an older vehicle and many will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It’s happening whether we like it or not. With all the chips and tech they are like 4 wheel computers. OTA updates are required and are being done now. It costs money for manufacturers to do these updates so we get to pay for them. I don’t like it but only way to avoid it is to drive an older vehicle and many will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Perhaps this is one of the reason's for Kalifornia to require only new EVs allowed soon ... gotta get 'em chipped one way or the other ...

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Eventually all vehicles will be tracked. Already we have ADS-B for airplanes and AIS for boats. Automobile might be next??
In a way they are already being tracked with our Cell Phones...

Have a friend working on a GPS module to attach to my pfSense box to get time for the NTP Server. He had me load a GPS satellite tracking App on my phone to test the location where this module will be located at, it has a built in antenna, anyway, oh yeah we can easily be tracked if the Gov't turns on our GPS on our phones...

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

rolibr24

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My 1971 Toyota that I bought used in 1978 and still drive today does not have a key fob, or remote start, or a radio, or AC, or power anything. I think I will keep driving it. :D

Exactly, I like the ability to go to the hardware store in town to get a key made if I loose one.