Toyota Plans to Charge You to Use Your Key Fob

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I heard someone say their FOB was $700 to replace, wow...
At the high end they are more like 400 but on average you buy the fobs for about 150-200 and pay about 100 for programing. I dont recall ever losing a key....

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
At the high end they are more like 400 but on average you buy the fobs for about 150-200 and pay about 100 for programing. I dont recall ever losing a key....
Gotcha, yeah I was told around $300 at the Dealer for ours. Maybe the guy bought a pair, I just over heard him telling the guy at the parts counter at the Dealership I was at. I was able to get a key cut/made to open the door of my older Jeep, it would not start the vehicle but did allow me in in case I locked my keys in the vehicle, which I did once several years back. I keep the spare in my wallet, yeah my wallet had a key holder in it, old wallet too :)

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
I got quoted $900 for a Ford Focus key (2012 Model Year)

We got the car used with one key, and apparently adding a third key is easy, but adding a SECOND key with the second being gone, requires a complete re-program of the computer and all keys

We just made do with 1 key until we sold the vehicle. Now we have 2 new vehicles with 2 keys each, we never use the second keys, go figure

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
That's the way most are. If you have two, you're good to add another easily. If you lose one of the two, then you're kind of screwed.

NightLife

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Both the Mrs. and I have after market remote start in our vehicles, a Civic for her and an F-150 for me. Hers has a separate fob. Mine uses the OEM remote provided on the physical key. Frankly I don't want a vehicle with "push button" start and auto unlock. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but a real key seems more re-assuring in terms of security. Problem is all the cars seem to be using "keyless" entry and start now. I'm not happy with that at all.

So no key hidden in the remote like on Dodges? My RAM has a key in it when you pull the remote apart (in the direction of the long axis). You're not destroying anything .. it's a simple pinch and pull, and the key is attached to the smaller piece in one hand. Convenient. Batteries fail .. and speaking of batteries. Ensure you and the Mrs both have a spare remote battery in your wallet, purse. That day will come at the most inopportune moment.

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Maybe they will one day be able to control all our vehicles remotely, shutting them down anytime they want.
I can see it now with the way subscriptions are becoming the norm for everything. You’ll stop at a stop light, the car will chime “your driving subscription has just expired. To continue driving please renew through your app. Acceleration features start at $19.99/month. For even more features, purchase the premium plan for $29.99 and enjoy the convenience of controlled stops with our ‘brakes package’. Thank you for being a customer.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Reaction score
I can see it now with the way subscriptions are becoming the norm for everything. You’ll stop at a stop light, the car will chime “your driving subscription has just expired. To continue driving please renew through your app. Acceleration features start at $19.99/month. For even more features, purchase the premium plan for $29.99 and enjoy the convenience of controlled stops with our ‘brakes package’. Thank you for being a customer.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OR... the message:
"The DMV has determined that you have not paid your registration fees or per-mile-driven road taxes due according to your vehicle auto-reported mileage. You will have two authorized starts remaining unless we receive payment. Please use your phone app to pay before your vehicle is disabled and you incur late fees and account reinstatement fees. Thank you."