Transformer Hiding/Location (or camera suggestion)?

TooOldToKnowBetter

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have one outdoor camera to install that would be a Very Major pain for PoE (which the rest of my cameras are), so for this one I'm going wifi. I can easily run 110v to the location - but as far as I know there are no 110v-powered cameras - if there is such a beast I'd love to know.

What are the suggestions/alternatives for hiding/locating the transformer? I do have an electrical outlet on the outside wall immediately below where I would mount the camera.

My preference would be some type of enclosure that would fit over the electrical outlet and mount to the wall. From there I might run conduit to the camera's mounting box or perhaps fish the low-voltage wire inside the wall.

I'm not fluent in electrical enclosures so I thought I'd ask the experts.

TIA

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
1) try a Ethernet over power-line adapters, Some support POE. Make sure you use the correct cable.

2) If you must use WIFI set up an access point that is on a separate non overlapping channel.

TooOldToKnowBetter

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Southern,
Thanks. I'll look into power-line adapters but the electrical in that part of the house goes into a subpanel that feeds into my main breaker box. My Blue Iris and PoE switch are on an even different subpanel. I've heard that this is frequently problematic for power-line adapters.

Good advice on the access point.

However if a PoE power-line adapter won't work I am still curious about locating the transformer :)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Southern,
Thanks. I'll look into power-line adapters but the electrical in that part of the house goes into a subpanel that feeds into my main breaker box. My Blue Iris and PoE switch are on an even different subpanel. I've heard that this is frequently problematic for power-line adapters.

Good advice on the access point.

However if a PoE power-line adapter won't work I am still curious about locating the transformer :)
hire a low voltage contractor to run proper cable....worth a few extra dollars.

TooOldToKnowBetter

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
hire a low voltage contractor to run proper cable....worth a few extra dollars.
Thanks a bunch. I'll probably do that, but let me get some additional info.

Where would the transformer typically be? Inside the house or in some outside enclosure? I'm just trying to understand how something like this is usually done.

BTW - I still want to look into the powerline adapter, which would be the best bet IF I can make it work.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks a bunch. I'll probably do that, but let me get some additional info.

Where would the transformer typically be? Inside the house or in some outside enclosure? I'm just trying to understand how something like this is usually done.

BTW - I still want to look into the powerline adapter, which would be the best bet IF I can make it work.
They will run ethernet to your network, this is the reliable way to do it. It may be a pain for you to run it, but they can do it faster and cleaner.

BigFoot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm also weighing up IP66 junction / project boxes at present for my installation

eBay is your friend ....... thousands on there of every shape, size & colour ;)