Trigger blue iris with IVS?

pinko

Known around here
Reaction score
So what do we need to do to test that new Dahua cameras (IPC-HDW5231R-ZE and such) with IVS enabled work with Blue Iris ?
Time and patience to set up and test. If you have concerns about losing your current setting back them up on camera and BI, so that you can restore them later if needed.

Any configurations needed, scripts with Blue Iris tools?
I'm not using any scripts to use IVS in BI for my PTZ.
I have a 5231R-Z12 that works really well using only BI for Motion/object detection.It's as good if not better than using IVS.
I will try to setup the z12 & IVS in BI later today and post some configurations & instructions.

woodenfish

n3wb
Reaction score
I have motion detecting working using BI, however I would like to test out IVS for some particular use cases where motion/object detection in BI isn't fully meeting my expectations.

pinko

Known around here
Reaction score
Does this IVS setup in BI also work for your 5231R-Z (I have 2 5231R-ZE)?
It should work. I'll make a test profile for the Z12 and test it out tomorrow, time permitting.
IHMO if your not using different preset positions on your 5231R deployment, BI motion detection is a bit more flexible. For example, the make time setting (in object detection), greatly reduces the number of false positives.

Reaction score
Hi

Thanks for the script.

I'm using this version here:
johnnyletrois/dahua-watch

However it looks like it sends mqtt post for camera on and off,
However other events don't seem to post to MQTT.

I think he hasn't finished the script on github?

@johnnyletrios

Last edited:

johnnyletrois

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi

Thanks for the script.

I'm using this version here:
johnnyletrois/dahua-watch

However it looks like it sends mqtt post for camera on and off,
However other events don't seem to post to MQTT.

I think he hasn't finished the script on github?

@johnnyletrios

It works for me. I’ve been using it for well over a year now with no issues. Posts to MQTT when initial connects to cameras, when a cross line detection event occurs, and when disconnects from cameras. I’m not a developer and just hacked it together so unfortunately I can’t say why or how it works for me other than that.

Reaction score
It works for me. I’ve been using it for well over a year now with no issues. Posts to MQTT when initial connects to cameras, when a cross line detection event occurs, and when disconnects from cameras. I’m not a developer and just hacked it together so unfortunately I can’t say why or how it works for me other than that.
Hi I have it working, I had to many options enabled so it was always 'on' , I subsequently changed to video motion event only in the watch.py settings and now I am getting ON and OFF mqtt messages. Thanks.

johnnyletrois

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi I have it working, I had to many options enabled so it was always 'on' , I subsequently changed to video motion event only in the watch.py settings and now I am getting ON and OFF mqtt messages. Thanks.
Awesome. Glad you got it working.

Reaction score
Docker compose is the way to go (there are multiple ways you can use docker).

psyciknz/CameraEvents

Code:
  dahua_camera_events:
    container_name: dahua_camera_events
    image: psyciknz/cameraevents
    restart: always
    volumes:
      - ${DOCKERCONFDIR}/dahua_camera_events/config.ini:/opt/cameraevents/conf/config.ini
This line
Code:
      - ${DOCKERCONFDIR}/dahua_camera_events/config.ini:/opt/cameraevents/conf/config.ini
Points to a configration file (config.ini) that is located in the folder called ${DOCKERCONFDIR}/dahua_camera_events

It could be something like:
Code:
      - /kiwijunglist/dahua/config.ini:/opt/cameraevents/conf/config.ini

Last edited:

The North Face

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Same. Docker.
N3wb question that’s slightly off-topic, but I can’t help but wondering now that I’ve read up a bit on Docker: why run a single Python script in a container? Security reasons, or is that the easiest way to daemonize the script since it seems to run in the foreground?

johnnyletrois

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
N3wb question that’s slightly off-topic, but I can’t help but wondering now that I’ve read up a bit on Docker: why run a single Python script in a container? Security reasons, or is that the easiest way to daemonize the script since it seems to run in the foreground?
I don’t know. Seemed like an easy way to run it on my qnap nas.

Reaction score
I don't like to add stuff to the underlying operating system.

Everything is kept in separate isolated docker containers so nothing interferes with anything else.

Since it's in a docker my docker operating system is the same as the developers so it will work exactly the same.

It's easy to backup docker containers.

If I want to recreate my system in a new Ubuntu install it is very easy.

If I add something to the server that I don't want anymore I don't risk breaking something else when I uninstall or delete things.

Reactions: cb8

The North Face

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For anyone looking here in the future: I modified your script @johnnyletrois to not post MQTT events, but instead trigger Synology Surveillance Station to start recording.

This works very well, with the only issue that Surveillance Stations does not give you push notices, because it’s currently not possible to trigger push (e.g. Motion Detection) events through the Surveillance Station API. The current workaround I use is to let Pushover handle push notification and I built that into the python script. Another way would possibly be to inject an ONVIF event in the connection between the camera and Surveillance Station somehow, but I don’t have the time to figure that out right now.

I’ll try to push Synology to allow for external push events instead, which would solve the problem the right way, sort of.

I should probably upload the whole thing to GitHub but the code is pretty messy right now, since I’m not really a developer. If anyone sees this and wants to have it, just reach out.