Troubleshooting POE Powerline

xman111

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey guys, have 6 Hikvision cameras around my house. I am having trouble with one in particular. It's a 4MP Hikvision turret out in the garage. I have a Cisco switch with POE running through a Powerline connection out to my garage, the Hikvision plugs into that. When viewing in Tinycam Pro, a few times an hour, it will say video not available, the screen will go black for about 20 seconds, then it will come back on. How would I go about troubleshooting this? I am stupid and should have run network out to the garage when the house was built. Do you think if I only used the network cable for network and powered the camera off a 12v supply it would work better?

Any help would be appreciated, it's driving me nuts.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey guys, have 6 Hikvision cameras around my house. I am having trouble with one in particular. It's a 4MP Hikvision turret out in the garage. I have a Cisco switch with POE running through a Powerline connection out to my garage, the Hikvision plugs into that. When viewing in Tinycam Pro, a few times an hour, it will say video not available, the screen will go black for about 20 seconds, then it will come back on. How would I go about troubleshooting this? I am stupid and should have run network out to the garage when the house was built. Do you think if I only used the network cable for network and powered the camera off a 12v supply it would work better?

Any help would be appreciated, it's driving me nuts.
Poe does not interfere with video...did you use the 568b standard to make the cable?

xman111

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I just used standard network patch cables I had lying around from the $6000 house wiring :)

xman111

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
i forgot another detail.. Where the network comes into the garage, i added a POE injector that I had lying around from a Ubiquiti Pro access point.

Trax95008

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You said “POE switch through powerline” POE does not pass through a powerline adapter. I have a feeling you didn’t describe your setup accurately. Could you please describe again the chain of components?

xman111

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
sorry, i have a line running from a Cisco SG300 (Which is POE), through a Netgear AV2 Powerline (which may disable POE). Then at the camera, i have a POE injector from a Ubiquity access point, which powers the camera and provides network.

Ubiquiti Networks - PoE Adapters

Trax95008

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok that makes more sense. I can tell you that powerline seems to be unreliable. I played around with powerline a few times and always had trouble. As an electrician, I immediately saw a potential issue. The power at your house is decided into two lines. If you have a powerline adapter plugged in somewhere in the house, and then another one somewhere else, there is a chance that they are on two different lines. (I’m not talking about circuits. Different circuits is ok) all the breakers that are on the same line are physically connected by the bussing. However, the opposing line has no physical connection. Powerline can sometimes work between lines, I believe the signal is somehow able to transfer lines in the newer smart meters. Regardless, your best chance at reliability is to get your adapters on the same line. If you determine that they aren’t, the easiest way to remedy that is the swap a couple breakers around to get the circuits onto the same line

xman111

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
thanks for the explanation. Any way to tell what leg they are on? it sucks because the garage is only 20 feet away but running ethernet would be a pain in the ass. We also had a break in out there so this is an important camera to me. I wonder if that poe injector isn't good? Wonder what the best way is to trouble shoot this? I also always run Tinycam, it could be a setting or issue with that too.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
thanks for the explanation. Any way to tell what leg they are on? it sucks because the garage is only 20 feet away but running ethernet would be a pain in the ass. We also had a break in out there so this is an important camera to me. I wonder if that poe injector isn't good? Wonder what the best way is to trouble shoot this? I also always run Tinycam, it could be a setting or issue with that too.
what is the exact model of the injector you are using?

xman111

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
hey fenderman, i will check when i get home from work in a couple hours. I will pretty much buy anything I need to, to get this working.

I know the powerline adapter is - Powerline 1200, 1 Port

the last option would be running another Cat6 line out there but whatever it takes because it is annoying.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I just used standard network patch cables I had lying around from the $6000 house wiring :)
did you make the ends yourself? either way is the 568 standard used? what brand is the cable...the price you paid is completely irrelevant...

Trax95008

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Determin which 2 breakers control the outlets you have the adapters plugged into. If your unfamiliar with how a breaker panel is constructed, then use a piece of tape or something to indicate the two breakers, then take a picture of the panel and post it here. I will tell you what to do from there

xman111

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I did not make the cables myself. Actually the one that goes from the cisco to the powerline adapter on one end and the one that goes from the powerline adapter to the poe injector on the other end are store made cat6a cables. The one that goes from the POE injector to the camera is just one I grabbed from a box of leftover supplies..

I am just still in shock about the price to hardwire a house :)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I did not make the cables myself. Actually the one that goes from the cisco to the powerline adapter on one end and the one that goes from the powerline adapter to the poe injector on the other end are store made cat6a cables. The one that goes from the POE injector to the camera is just one I grabbed from a box of leftover supplies..

I am just still in shock about the price to hardwire a house :)
did you use the 568 standard on the cable?

xman111

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
it is just a standard cable, not sure if it is the right standard. I can buy another network cable for sure.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
it is just a standard cable, not sure if it is the right standard. I can buy another network cable for sure.
I am not asking about the cable, how did you choose the order of the wires when you made the crimp..

xman111

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I never made any crimp. it was just a leftover cable that I had lying around.

xman111

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
hey guys, swapped out the network cable with one that works from my other cameras, still same problem. Will take the picture of the breaker box tomorrow as i was out with the kids tonight. Here is a pic of the two sides of the powerline that I have going on. The POE doesn't go over powerline, i had to use the poe injector to get the camera to turn on.

Attachments