Turning off FLIR Cloud

lukmm

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,
Purchased a Lorex 4K system from Costco and installed it few days ago. I temporarily connected the NVR to the net to check remote connectivity and FLIR Secure app works great on iPhone. I started reading the long article by nayr for using VPN for remote access.

Question: How do you turn off FLIR Cloud functionality?

FLIR gives free plan to everyone which means that channel 1 footage is getting uploaded to the cloud. I confirmed this by looking at the IP addresses that NVR is establishing connections to and those IPs are part of AWS address range (And using port 443).

I had uPNP turned on my ASUS router and have turned it off now. Is there a populated list of port forwards that uPNP would have created? If yes, is there a way to delete it without defaulting the router?

Thanks much!

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello,
Purchased a Lorex 4K system from Costco and installed it few days ago. I temporarily connected the NVR to the net to check remote connectivity and FLIR Secure app works great on iPhone. I started reading the long article by nayr for using VPN for remote access.

FLIR gives free plan to everyone which means that channel 1 footage is getting uploaded to the cloud. I confirmed this by looking at the IP addresses that NVR is establishing connections to and those IPs are part of AWS address range (And using port 443).

I had uPNP turned on my ASUS router and have turned it off now. Is there a populated list of port forwards that uPNP would have created? If yes, is there a way to delete it without defaulting the router?

Thanks much!
Welcome Lukmm,

Good question about the port forwards list.

Maybe worth seeing if those in the following Thread also have some info on that:
FYI - Some local Costco B&M have a Lorex / Dahua OEM 4K 6x camera kit and 8 port NVR for $800

It's easy to get swamped with information here, so I wanted to share some notes with you

Please check out @giomania 's notes:
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

I have also made notes which are a summary of a lot of the reading I've been doing here,:
Looking for some advice and direction!

Have fun joining us here.

lukmm

n3wb
Reaction score
Definitely, tons of information to read through.
Under FLIX Secure app, if you click on Channel 1 settings, there is a setting to turn off Cloud upload. After making that change, the green symbol on Ch.1 has gone away and I see a drop in connection from NVR to outside world.
I have also created a ticket with Lorex Tech team to see what they suggest to turn cloud uploads. Will see what they come back with.

gmcatlin

n3wb
Reaction score

I bought and installed a Lorex LNR6826K kit from Costco (the NVR is model LNR6108-N). I also installed the Lorex Secure app on my Android phone. A month later, I got a notice from my ISP that I had exceeded my monthly data usage of 150 GB. I discovered almost all of the data usage had been uploads rather than downloads. Investigation revealed that, as the OP mentions, I was somehow enrolled in a free version of the FLIR Cloud service, where Channel 1 data from my NVR was apparently being uploaded 24/7 - thanks very much Lorex.

Trying to figure out how to disable the FLIR Cloud upload led me to this thread. However, it appears the Lorex Secure app has changed (I have version 4.6.0 (53)) and there is no longer any way to turn off Cloud upload! I had to contact Lorex technical support (888-425-6739) and after 30 minutes on hold finally spoke to a woman in Colombia. She said the only way to shut off the upload is to contact technical support and have them do it from their side.

In the live camera view of my Lorex system, Camera 1 formerly showed a small green diamond shape in the lower right hand corner. That green symbol apparently indicates the upload is active on that channel. Once tech support shut off the upload, that green symbol vanished within about a minute. It seems idiotic to me that the default installation of this system will transfer vast amounts of data without your knowledge or consent. And having to contact technical support to shut it off makes things even worse.

UPDATE A COUPLE DAYS LATER: After successfully getting the FLIR Cloud upload to stop, I discovered later that day that it had started again (the evidence was the reappearance of the green diamond symbol on the live view of Channel 1). My guess is that just using the Lorex Secure app on my phone caused the upload to be turned on again (even though there is no way in this version of the app to enable, disable, or view the status of the upload). So I emailed more questions to the Lorex technical support people, which may or may not lead to a solution. In the meanwhile, I unplugged my #1 camera. I think that since the "free" upload service is just for channel 1, this should stop the data transfers.

ANOTHER UPDATE A FEW DAYS LATER: Back and forth with Lorex tech support seems to have led to a solution. To stop the constant data upload from Channel 1, you can go into the Lorex Secure app and delete your NVR device. I did this, and a couple minutes later the green diamond symbol disappeared. Don't use the Lorex Secure app again (despite the fact that this is the app you were told to install in the literature that came with the system). Instead, install the "Lorex Cloud" app from the Google Play Store, and add your device to that app. The "Lorex Cloud" app seems to have the same basic functions as the "Lorex Secure" app without the annoying problem of starting the data upload.

Last edited: