Turret camera mount

TheE

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
My wife and I are in the process of designing our new, forever home.

My wife had the following question I thought maybe one of you could help answer or had experience with.

The question is, besides mounting the entire turret cameras on the exterior walls, is there a way to mount / install the cameras inside an exterior wall where just an inch or two of the camera ends are sticking out? The main reason is to keep things as clean as possible in the look.

Any thoughts, comments, pictures, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sure. If you are building it, then simply build an inwall shelf that the camera will sit on.

TheE

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Sure. If you are building it, then simply build an inwall shelf that the camera will sit on.
Thanks for this input!

This is our camera on the back patio. We were looking to mount all our exterior cameras like this:
Screenshot_20220503-210355.png

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for this input!

This is our camera on the back patio. We were looking to mount all our exterior cameras like this:
Nothing particularly unusual about your picture, you should plan on a junction box in the wall.

I thought you were asking to do something more like what deudemarr above showed a picture of on an interior wall. In which case it would be very challenging to do well in terms of preventing water and insect ingress, adjustability, and repair/replacability.

TheE

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Nothing particularly unusual about your picture, you should plan on a junction box in the wall.

I thought you were asking to do something more like what deudemarr above showed a picture of on an interior wall. In which case it would be very challenging to do well in terms of preventing water and insect ingress, adjustability, and repair/replacability.

So for any confusion. The picture I provided is just to show how we would like the cameras orientated inside the exterior walls something like what @dudemaar showed.

For example with the picture I provided, imagine the camera mounted into the wall with just an inch or two of the lens coming outside the wall. Hope this helps explain things a little better.

Last edited:

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
I’ve installed cameras many years ago on a new build with a hardy board exterior, where they had built small recessed 4”x 6” rectangular pockets for cameras. If I remember correctly they had a cover over each one and nice mitred trim border around the edges.

Reaction score
where they had built small recessed 4”x 6” rectangular pockets for cameras. If I remember correctly they had a cover over each one and nice mitred trim border around the edges.
I would think that would probably be the only way to go. To some how place a cam inside the wall poking out the exterior wall, then sealing it off from the inside, and having it be exactly the FOV you want is kind of impossible I would think. And at the rate we here tend to replace cams with newer, better cams as the technology changes, replacement would be a bitch. What if you need to change the SD card? Or do a hard reboot? Of course one could make some type of access door on the inside of the wall to be able to make changes.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Naaaa... too much trouble and too many potential issues and complications and/or if you change things later. My cams have moved and changed a lot over the years. Nothing that I would have done at the time like that would have worked out very well in the end for most locations.

I'd just mount them as you have your one shown. You can paint to match closely and you won't notice them much. Probably less than if you had a "shadow box" (for lack of a better description) and trimmed out.

Jayordon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Honestly, this is going to sound harsh, but I think installing the cameras recessed inside of the wall like that is a bad idea and just looks awful. It just sticks out like a sore thumb. Aesthetics aside, if you ever plan on upgrading the camera, it'll be impossible without ripping giant holes in the walls. If the camera ever stops working, replacement will be a huge pain. One of my biggest concerns would be that it'll get really hot inside of a wall covered in insulation. This will kill the camera way faster than it otherwise would. If you ever want to re-aim the camera even just a little bit, good luck. If you ever decide to add additional cameras, you'll either have to find a way to recess them too or you'll have a mix of cameras inside of the wall and cameras on the outside of the wall.

If I were you and I was that concerned about how it looks, I would just pain the camera to match whatever it's mounted to just like in the picture that you sent. That looks way better and it's not a nightmare to maintain or service. Maybe you also need to look into getting smaller cameras. Video won't look as good, but smaller cameras blend in better.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Honestly, this is going to sound harsh, but I think installing the cameras recessed inside of the wall like that is a bad idea and just looks awful. It just sticks out like a sore thumb. Aesthetics aside, if you ever plan on upgrading the camera, it'll be impossible without ripping giant holes in the walls. If the camera ever stops working, replacement will be a huge pain. One of my biggest concerns would be that it'll get really hot inside of a wall covered in insulation. This will kill the camera way faster than it otherwise would. If you ever want to re-aim the camera even just a little bit, good luck. If you ever decide to add additional cameras, you'll either have to find a way to recess them too or you'll have a mix of cameras inside of the wall and cameras on the outside of the wall.

If I were you and I was that concerned about how it looks, I would just pain the camera to match whatever it's mounted to just like in the picture that you sent. That looks way better and it's not a nightmare to maintain or service. Maybe you also need to look into getting smaller cameras. Video won't look as good, but smaller cameras blend in better.
It's also likely you could end up with water or bugs in the wall which would be lots of fun.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Plenty of people have hidden cameras in mailbox and light posts, fake rocks, and birdhouses. I'm not finding some of my favorites but here's one:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
We have three turret cameras mounted on the eaves in the front of the house and no one really notices them at all. YMMV

Mailbox

Utility hide

Landscape light hide

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for this input!

View attachment 127111
This looks to be a good option to me if you can place a box behind that to hold all of the cabling connections ..