Turret Vs. Bullet (new installation)

Fancypants

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all! I'm new here, but interested in setting up some cameras around the house. I currently have 1 cheap ZModo Wifi IP Bullet camera that I can view with their software/ap, but want to expand to a more sophisticated system with multiple cameras and BI.

I work in IT and have a strong pc/server/networking background, but little/no experience with cameras.

I have seen a lot of people people say anecdotally to "buy turret cameras, not bullet cameras, turrets are better." Can anybody give a brief explanation of why? Is it just placement? PTZ? Or is there an image/video quality component here that I'm not seeing?

For my application, I live on 1 acre and need a mix of wide angle and long distance. In addition to monitoring for security, I also like to keep an eye on the wildlife in my yard. We get deer often, we also keep turkeys and chickens and I like to keep an eye out for stray dogs/coyotes.

My gut would tell me that the turrets are going to be better at wide angle shots, and bullets for long distance (but I also don't know what I'm talking about).

Finally, at night, I've got a lot of low/no light situations, so IR is a must.

Thanks in advance!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
A couple of reasons why turrets can be a better choice than bullets -
Bullets attract spider webs so much more than turrets. If you do motion detection, you'll be forever getting the long brush out to clean them off. I started off with bullets, now all but one have been replaced.
The IR on turrets tends to be better - stronger illumination and a better shaped coverage area. But additional IR illumination can help either case.
As far as coverage and field of view is concerned - I don't think there is any difference - it's down to the choice of lens focal length, given the same sensor.

Fancypants

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

I can attest to the spider web situation, the bullet I have is a magnet for them. I assumed it was the IR lights that were attracting the spiders. I wonder why that is?

Anyhow... thanks again. I'll have to start figuring out sensors, focal length, etc...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

I can attest to the spider web situation, the bullet I have is a magnet for them. I assumed it was the IR lights that were attracting the spiders. I wonder why that is?

Anyhow... thanks again. I'll have to start figuring out sensors, focal length, etc...
The both attract spiders, its simply that the turret design has the IR led separated from the lens..

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
bullets often come with more lens options, so yeah.. you can often see further with em.. for example most Dahua Turrets come in only 2.8mm/3.6mm/6mm, where as the bullet has 8mm and 12mm as options also.

the bug thing is largely due to the IR LED type, I have bullets with surface mount diodes (LXIR) and they dont attract bugs anything like my mini-bullet with a ring of round omnidirectional diodes around the lens.

Its hard to beat external IR though, it has alot of advantages.. just last night we had fog roll through, the cameras with built in IR on were getting blinded and the image was obviously fogging up.. the 2 cameras with external IR could still see just fine like the fog was not even there.

If you want external alarm IO for hooking up PIR sensors, Strobes, etc; then Bullets are more likely to have it.

Turrets > Domes, however Turrets vs Bullets just depends on the environment.. the turrets are definitely nicer looking and have better mounting options.. but if you want to mount it on a pole or something not 3" wide, or need features you cant get in a turret form factor.. then bullets will beat em.