Type of camera needed + NVR

MrWhite77

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm pretty new on this forum.
Need some help, concerning Dahua Dome/Turret IP Cam, + NVR.
I have already drilled holes from my attic to exterior, on 6 locations around my house.
Setup i have in mind is to cross the line of sight of 2 cams on each wall. So a total of 6 IP cams+ NVR.
So, i was thinking to have 4 fix Dome/Turret with Varifocal lens, around the house and 2 PTZ Dome/Turret (1 front corner and 1 back corner with presets) for more flexible viewing.
Height to the white attic is around 4m75cm (metric) that is around 15 feet.

Check pictures in attachment.

What IP camera Dome/Turret 4x and PTZ 2x do you suggest for this setup, mounting is against the white attic.
Good NVR,
Don't want to go below 30FPS for the IP cams, good light sensor for dark environment, IR and Microphone.
Full HD 1080p is good enough? Or higher resolutions?

PS: what is the difference between those 2 models? They have a fair amount of FPS
IPC-HDBW5442E-ZHE
IPC-HDBW5442H-ZE

WhatsApp Image 2020-11-17 at 12.11.08 (1).jpeg
Front Street

WhatsApp Image 2020-11-17 at 12.11.08.jpeg
Back Garden
WhatsApp Image 2020-11-17 at 12.11.08 (2).jpeg
Side of house
House.JPG

Last edited:

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Your cameras are mounted way to high to be of any use in identifying the BAD GUY. Your camera location will be able to tell you what happened, but not who did.
I would not mount a dome camera that high, you will end up climbing up to clean it.

======================================================

1) If you do not have a wired monitored alarm system, get that first
2) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras if you need good low light cameras.
3) Start with a good variable focus camera, so you test for the correct lens,lighting, camera placement.
4) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
5) Do not use wifi cameras.
6) Do not use cloud storage
7) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
8) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
9) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
10) Do not use reolink, ring, nest, Arlo cameras (they are junk), no cloud cameras
11) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
12) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
13) use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2
14) (Looney2ns)If you want to be able to ID faces, don't mount cams higher than 7ft. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.

15) Use a router that has openVPN built in (Most ASUS, Some NetGear....)
16) camera placement use the calculator... IPVM Camera Calculator V3
17) POE list PoE Switch Suggestion List
18) Camera Sensor size, bigger is general better Sensor Size Chart
19) Camera lens size, a bigger number give more range but less field of view. Which Security Camera Lens Size Should I Buy?
20) verify your camera placement, have a friend wearing a hoodie, ball cap and sunglasses looking down approach the house, can you identify them at night ?
21) DO NOT UPGRADE your NVR or camera unless you absolutely have a problem that needs to be fixed and known what you are doing, if you do you will turn it into a brick !!
=========================================

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
if you are interested in International Dahua cameras, a forum member sells dahua (and some Hikvision) and ships world wide. You can read some of the members recommendations on his service. He also provides cameras to other forum member for evaluation and reviews.
You can email him for a quote, or purchase from his Aliexpress store or his Amazon store. The cameras are fully upgradable, he posts upgrade software when available.

Current supply may be limited do to the Covid-19. Do to Covid-19 shipping has also gotten slow. I recommend email andy

Andy
@EMPIRETECANDY
kingsecurity2014@163.com
Andy's ipcamtalk vendor forum: EmpireTech Andy
Andy's AliExpress store: Empire Technology Co., Ltd - Amazing prodcuts with exclusive discounts on AliExpress
Andy's Amazon store: Amazon.com

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.