Ubiquiti UniFi Protect G4 Doorbell Coming Soon

Reaction score
Cant wait till this is back in stock! Ordering immediately. Also switching all my Hikvision over to Unifi Protect. I've been running a Ubiquiti network for the past few years an absolutely love their products and the company. I am also very impressed with their new Unifi Protect suite and the security it brings over Hikvision. The release of this doorbell is just the icing on the cake, having a doorbell camera that works natively with the rest of your surveillance system.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Cant wait till this is back in stock! Ordering immediately. Also switching all my Hikvision over to Unifi Protect. I've been running a Ubiquiti network for the past few years an absolutely love their products and the company. I am also very impressed with their new Unifi Protect suite and the security it brings over Hikvision. The release of this doorbell is just the icing on the cake, having a doorbell camera that works natively with the rest of your surveillance system.
Unfortunately unifi has a only one camera that is potentially decent in low light and at night. That is their g4 pro camera with a 1/2 sensor. At $440 that is insane. Add the bullet design with an IR ring around the lens which will certainly cause spider web issues and the lack of h.265 support makes this camera a bad deal.
Unifi protect does not bring any security improvement over hikvision as both must be locked down accessed via vpn. Unifi devices have been hack in the past and will be hacked in the future.
The doorbell is not bad, but again, they missed the mark by not providing a poe option.

davidew98

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Unfortunately unifi has a only one camera that is potentially decent in low light and at night. That is their g4 pro camera with a 1/2 sensor. At $440 that is insane. Add the bullet design with an IR ring around the lens which will certainly cause spider web issues and the lack of h.265 support makes this camera a bad deal.
Unifi protect does not bring any security improvement over hikvision as both must be locked down accessed via vpn. Unifi devices have been hack in the past and will be hacked in the future.
The doorbell is not bad, but again, they missed the mark by not providing a poe option.
The only way Unifi devices are hacked is from people not setting them up correctly. if you don't want to be hacked you can setup a Unifi controller on your local network instead of the cloud.

Reaction score
I agree, there is a lot to be desired, its still a young lineup with much room to improve. 4k option needs to come down in price, they are about to release a 4mp camera which is a good middle sweet spot for many, and h.265 is a must have for the next step. What I really really like about unifi is their software and the way you play back recordings, never seen anything like it, its really good and makes finding things quick and effortless.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The only way Unifi devices are hacked is from people not setting them up correctly. if you don't want to be hacked you can setup a Unifi controller on your local network instead of the cloud.
That is true about any IP device, if you don’t set them up correctly they will be hacked if you set them up correctly they will not. There is nothing special about unifi.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree, there is a lot to be desired, its still a young lineup with much room to improve. 4k option needs to come down in price, they are about to release a 4mp camera which is a good middle sweet spot for many, and h.265 is a must have for the next step. What I really really like about unifi is their software and the way you play back recordings, never seen anything like it, its really good and makes finding things quick and effortless.
Four megapixel doesn’t tell us anything they could choose to go with a crappy sensor like they have in their other cameras. There is nothing special about the protect playback in fact It’s slower and more clunky then synchronized multi cam playback with a timeline.

blargrx

n3wb
Reaction score

Looks like it’s officially released and out of early access. Can’t wait to see some reviews on it and how it integrates into BI

bigrob444

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is this dead in the water or ?
The product has been released on UI.com and has been selling out within minutes every-time they add more stock......
People are reselling them on ebay for 2x the price and they are selling out.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
If you read the description, you will notice that it mention about requiring to use their NVR for the doorbell cam to work.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
I picked up 1 of these units for testing so a couple of quick thoughts. I have it bridged into HomeKit using the RTSP stream while playing with it so get notifications that way rather than relying on the Unifi app etc. Also gives the bonus of being able to spawn automations from it if you wanted to but that can be done using Dahua / Hik pro cams and platform integration if you wanted to. Certainly the G4 Doorbell is a nice to have and isn't terrible, especially if you are looking to get rid of a Ring or Nest etc BUT no match for the Dahua and other pro cams I use personally and professionally. One HUGE benefit, it fills the physical gap on the wall that I ripped the ring doorbell off of a long long time ago ;) Agree with @fenderman they missed an opportunity here with PoE. In terms of the Protect platform, Unifi just recently introduced Smart Detections, starting with Person Detection which is laggy but does at least identify people......and dogs. There is also a 'Show Motion Highlight' added to playback which is basically heat mapping that we've all seen in pro cams for a while. Unifi also introduced High Frame rate but this is a poor implementation currently IMO as it really messes with exposure and WDR settings which results in a rather unusable image. Those are all available to the doorbell should you wish to use them in the current Protect Beta. For me, I'd like to see more manual controls especially when it comes to exposure etc but don't expect that on a consumer based video doorbell.

One day we'll have a great pro level doorbell solution with full integration and it won't be the size of a toaster ;)

Just my 2c

bigrob444

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can manually wire the camera to use POE for power but it will still use wifi for data.

Last edited: