Unable to eliminate video "traces" during movement

bigbadw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My Hikvision 2cd2042wd-i camera does not record a clear image of a person during movement. The image is blurred of the person moving with "traces". I sure have tried multiple configuration changes (the camera itself is set to 20fps, as is BlueIris, but that synchronization doesn't seem to help. I've tried multiple drivers inside of BlueIris itself, again, no change to the "traces" shown on movement. Any ideas on what else I can try? I have changed the exposure level from 1/250 to 1/1000 and even 1/2000 and no change to the "tracing" or better said "blurring" of a moving object.

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Add some video and other settings for us to see. A 1/2000 shutter during the day should not produce that tracing or blurring even if other parameters are way off the mark. Usually it is gain and noise that cause those issues, especially for night time motion, although too much during the day can cause issues as well.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
It isn't just exposure time that can cause moving objects to leave a trail. WDR and 3D noise reduction can also do it, mostly noticeable in low light. Reducing the strength of either of those should help. If it doesn't help, then it could be that your trails are caused by video corruption. If you post a sample video we should be able to make a more specific guess.

bigbadw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Add some video and other settings for us to see. A 1/2000 shutter during the day should not produce that tracing or blurring even if other parameters are way off the mark. Usually it is gain and noise that cause those issues, especially for night time motion, although too much during the day can cause issues as well.
Thank you for responding. I've definitely walked systematically through the shutter speeds, from 1/250 up to 1/100000. Simply no change in the "blurring" effect on this camera......... I've also changed the gain and noise for each and every setting. So far, the "blurring" remains constant at each and every setting change. Luckily the camera is close, so I can make a change, walk out and test the effect each time.
I greatly appreciate any and all advice. I am definitely trying the config changes inside the camera itself. Is there a change inside of BlueIris that I may be missing?
The frame rates (and iframe) are both consistent between the camera and BlueIris settings.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What are your gain and noise level at - at daytime they can be very low.

Do you have an SD card inside the camera that you can pull up video directly from the camera and see if the problem is there as well? Or view live motion from the camera GUI?

It shouldn't be a Blue Iris setting - if anything it is a networking issue between the camera and Blue Iris.

Last edited:

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
please provide a sample video of your problem.
Also screens shot of your setting from the camera .

Test do not guess.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
The only place Blue Iris has an input for i-frame interval is in its encoder profiles. Those do not affect the video stream sent by the camera in any way. If you've changed them, it would probably be good to change them back. The keyframe interval for Blue Iris's web server encoding profiles should be the max (300). For Blue Iris's clip export or recording profiles (only used if you aren't recording direct-to-disc), it should be 15-30 typically (1-2x the camera frame rate would be good).

bigbadw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The only place Blue Iris has an input for i-frame interval is in its encoder profiles. Those do not affect the video stream sent by the camera in any way. If you've changed them, it would probably be good to change them back. The keyframe interval for Blue Iris's web server encoding profiles should be the max (300). For Blue Iris's clip export or recording profiles (only used if you aren't recording direct-to-disc), it should be 15-30 typically (1-2x the camera frame rate would be good).
Thank you. Yes, I use Direct to Disc and have the frame rate (20) the same as the camera's.

bigbadw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Do you have an SD card inside the camera that you can pull up video directly from the camera and see if the problem is there as well? Or view live motion from the camera GUI?

It shouldn't be a Blue Iris setting - if anything it is a networking issue between the camera and Blue Iris.
Unfortunately there isn't any SD card slot for this particular camera, but I understand your point to try and eliminate the camera/settings from the equation and isolate the video feed vs camera settings.

bigbadw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
please provide a sample video of your problem.
Also screens shot of your setting from the camera .

Test do not guess.
Here is another copy of the video "blurring" as well as the camera's settings. I have changed many of these settings, one by one, then tested them individually, but so far the same "blurring" effect is happening.
ANY and ALL advice is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, that is bad for a daytime image.

Try bumping bitrate to 15360 for kicks.

Change bitrate to constant.

Bring brightness and contrast up into the 40-50s

Try sharpness at 45

Drop DNR down to 30

What else is there under DNR where it says expert?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If you're using hardware accelerated decoding in Blue Iris, try turning it to "None" for that camera.

I haven't ever seen quite that kind of trail before. It doesn't look messy or inconsistent enough to simply be caused by dropped frames. Certainly looks like it is more likely caused by image processing in the camera. I'd even try turning off noise reduction entirely to see if that eliminates the problem. Although a cam without noise reduction is garbage at night, so obviously that isn't a real solution, only a diagnostic step.

bigbadw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Unfortunately there isn't any SD card slot for this particular camera.

bigbadw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah, that is bad for a daytime image.

Try bumping bitrate to 15360 for kicks.

Change bitrate to constant.

Bring brightness and contrast up into the 40-50s

Try sharpness at 45

Drop DNR down to 30

What else is there under DNR where it says expert?
Ok, I changed each of these settings one by one, and then tested. Unfortunately the "blurring" is again staying consistent.... I could tell how the changes effected the camera, so I know the camera took each change. Under "expert" there are three choices: OFF, Normal, Expert. I have tried all three.

Damn, it really is starting to sound like processing inside of the camera. I am going to swap it out and see what happens now.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, I changed each of these settings one by one, and then tested. Unfortunately the "blurring" is again staying consistent.... I could tell how the changes effected the camera, so I know the camera took each change. Under "expert" there are three choices: OFF, Normal, Expert. I have tried all three.

Damn, it really is starting to sound like processing inside of the camera. I am going to swap it out and see what happens now.
Looks to me like a noise reduction issue. Its way too high. Confirm you have shut it off for testing. That camera performs poorly in low light.

bigbadw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looks to me like a noise reduction issue. Its way too high. Confirm you have shut it off for testing. That camera performs poorly in low light.
Hi fenderman, long time since I've had to ask you for help. For daytime (which has been my testing so far) has Noise Reduction set at Expert. I am about to test night time where I have it set to off. Do you have a recommendation for a replacement camera? This is guarding my Mothers stored Truck, so I do want to keep an eye on it for her through the Winter months.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi fenderman, long time since I've had to ask you for help. For daytime (which has been my testing so far) has Noise Reduction set at Expert. I am about to test night time where I have it set to off. Do you have a recommendation for a replacement camera? This is guarding my Mothers stored Truck, so I do want to keep an eye on it for her through the Winter months.
Yes. See threads on the low light cameras from dahua and hik. 4mp with 1/1.8" sensors. They will blow your mind compared to these.
They have white light led and ir led options.

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
Is night time bad also? I believe I have an LTS version of that camera. I checked and noise reduction for daytime was set at 9. If it is in fact the same camera I can say I have never really been happy with night performance but I never had your issue in day time.

bigbadw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is night time bad also? I believe I have an LTS version of that camera. I checked and noise reduction for daytime was set at 9. If it is in fact the same camera I can say I have never really been happy with night performance but I never had your issue in day time.
I just checked and yes, night time is having the same effects.... I am going with fenderman's recommendation and grab a different camera. My suspicions seem confirmed with everyone's suggestions so far, no matter what configuration setting I change, the "blurring" is staying consistent, so my current bet is on the internal camera itself. I have had it running for a long time....