Unable to play video from BI

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
SD5A425GA-HNR Sorry so short. Newborn in one arm.
Try using the dahua rtsp option from the dropdown menu rather than find inspect. Ensure there is no other camera or device on the network with the same ip address.
If this fails, try deleting the camera in BI and trying again. You can also try creating a new onvif user on the camera and using those credentials in BI.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
One thing we have seen with some of the newer Dahua GUI cameras is that for some reason they initially don't take to BI. But 3 factory resets of the camera and BI sees it. Kinda like something is wonky in the firmware and the factory resets get it going.

Now that would suck to have to do with a PTZ after setting up all the presets and stuff, but if the above doesn't work, that would be the next thing to try.

International784

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Everyone is just taking shots in the dark here.

First off, you state 'add a new camera', which implies you have other cams already added to BI. Is that true?

You really should change the IP address of that cam to something other than 192.168.1.108, the 108 part being the one to change. This is because all Dahua cams come with that IP address as the default.

Just what does your network look like? As others have stated, it is not recommended to have the cam go through the router. It should be cam-switch-BI server.

View attachment 161898

If you do not have the ability to use two NICs, then this would work:

View attachment 161899
I only have one camera. Right NOW (not right to my understanding) I have the Poe switch running to my router and my BI is as well. I intend on getting a switch and placing my BI pc and Poe switch on that then to the router.

International784

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Try using the dahua rtsp option from the dropdown menu rather than find inspect. Ensure there is no other camera or device on the network with the same ip address.
If this fails, try deleting the camera in BI and trying again. You can also try creating a new onvif user on the camera and using those credentials in BI.
I’m on it boss.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As I said previously, you can connect the BI computer to the existing POE switch that the camera is on. You do not need to add another switch.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
And the other thing I said is take the router out of the equation to confirm if the router is the issue.

Disconnect the computer completely from the router and instead plug the computer into the POE switch and see if BI will see it when it is only camera - POE switch - computer.

International784

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As I said previously, you can connect the BI computer to the existing POE switch that the camera is on. You do not need to add another switch.
I kinda do. The Poe switch is about 150 feet away in my shed. Lol. I was going to put one just before my router?

International784

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
And the other thing I said is take the router out of the equation to confirm if the router is the issue.

Disconnect the computer completely from the router and instead plug the computer into the POE switch and see if BI will see it when it is only camera - POE switch - computer.
But, after I get my adapter I’ll do this first.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Does your computer not have an ethernet port?

You may find similar to a router issue, the USB ethernet might not be able to keep up with the never ending 24/7 data flow from a camera.

We have seen people try to use a USB hard drive to save BI video to and it just can't keep up even though the theoretical speeds say it is more than capable.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep, simply pickup an i5-8500 SFF from ebay for $150 and toss it in the shed next to the POE switch and then Remote Desktop into it from your laptop.

International784

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You do realize that most here will say NOT to use a laptop for a BI server, right? Is this just a temporary setup until you get an appropriate PC for BI?
I do now lmao. It was an excuse to get something to play with. Now I’ll buy what I need . Jk. @wittaj that’s exactly what I’ll do. I hope I can hardwire it and have it work. All my presets are there and I’ve moved the camera with BI. just no video.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Add the substream to BI. That will certainly help if it is a bandwidth issue.

For kicks, go into the camera GUI and set the substream at D1 resolution at 256 bitrate and 10FPS

Then go back into BI and make the mainstream and the substream both be the substream.

At that low resolution it should go thru.

I am wondering if because you only have 1 camera it is sending mainstream for viewing and choking the router.

International784

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No change. However the refresh of BI was quicker than it has been once the change was made.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There must be something else at play then. That low resolution should be able to squeak thru a router unless you have a ton of devices on it or have a poor signal.

is there a cable from the shed to the house/router or is it a wifi access point?

International784

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There must be something else at play then. That low resolution should be able to squeak thru a router unless you have a ton of devices on it or have a poor signal.

is there a cable from the shed to the house/router or is it a wifi access point?
150’ of direct burial cat5e.

It’s possible I did something inside the camera gui or not did something?