Unable to reach Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-Z

ruasonid

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I had this camera set up on the bench and it's operating just fine. If I recall correctly I used the config tool to change the IP to the 192.168.0.x subnet I'm using.

Installed to a building with a cable run to the loft space where there is a Netgear GS308P hub providing a POE port. Both LED's are lit. There is a drop cable to the router and again both LED's are lit.

Unable to see the camera using config tool (toolbox) on 192.168.0.x so I changed a laptop IP to 192.168.1.x (fixed IP) and tried again with no success. I think I've missed something here. Am I going to be able to reach the camera via the router with a laptop on a .1 subnet or do I need to connect another cable from the Netgear in order to reach the camera on .1?

Edit:

Netgear LED's are Left=Orange (100M), Right=Green (POE powered)

drewgost

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Confused on IP Address, are you at 192.168.0.x or 192.168.1.x for the camera?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
what is the IP of your router ?
What is the IP address of the PC you are using?
What is the IP address of your camera ?
What is the make and model of your router ?
Is the PC connected to the router or to the switch?

Did you set the IP address of the camera to static in both the camera and in the router. Or is the camera outside of the DHCP range set in the router ?
Can you ping the IP address of the IP camera.

Is the cable premade or home made ? Have you tested the cable if so how ?

ruasonid

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks.

Router is 192.168.0.1.
PC was on the same subnet with a 192.168.0.x (DHCP address).
I thought I changed the camera default (192.168.1.108) to a 192.168.0.x address but it does not show (nor can I ping it).
Thinking that the camera might have defaulted back to 192.168.1.108 I set the PC to 192.168.1.30 (arbitrary).
The cables are purchased high quality and were used on the bench when I set up the camera.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Are all cables using the 568 standard? are they solid copper not CCA? how long is the run?

ruasonid

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not sure about the standard but the cables are Belkin. 15m.

Edit. Yep, they are 568. Cat 6.

Last edited:

ruasonid

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OK, I've dropped a LAN cable from the Netgear router in the loft and hooked up my laptop. I can now see the camera on 192.168.0.x

However, I cannot see the same camera on another PC connected to the router. This will be a problem because my BI PC is adjacent the router. There is a drop cable from the Netgear to the router - why can I not see the camera via that route?

What works is:

Camera - Cat6 - Netgear - Cat6 - Laptop

What does not work is:

Camera - Cat6 - Netgear - Cat6 - Router - Cat6 - Switch - Cat6 - PC

or

Camera - Cat6 - Netgear - Cat6 - Router - Wireless - PC

One other problem is I forgot the password. Can I reset via Config Tool and then expect to access the camera on its default IP of 192.168.1.108 to change it once again to a 192.168.0.x address?

One more point, which probably explains the above (what works/not) is that the router does not detect or display the camera device.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
OK, I've dropped a LAN cable from the Netgear router in the loft and hooked up my laptop. I can now see the camera on 192.168.0.x

However, I cannot see the same camera on another PC connected to the router. This will be a problem because my BI PC is adjacent the router. There is a drop cable from the Netgear to the router - why can I not see the camera via that route?

What works is:

Camera - Cat6 - Netgear - Cat6 - Laptop

What does not work is:

Camera - Cat6 - Netgear - Cat6 - Router - Cat6 - Switch - Cat6 - PC

or

Camera - Cat6 - Netgear - Cat6 - Router - Wireless - PC

One other problem is I forgot the password. Can I reset via Config Tool and then expect to access the camera on its default IP of 192.168.1.108 to change it once again to a 192.168.0.x address?

One more point, which probably explains the above (what works/not) is that the router does not detect or display the camera device.
Try rebooting the router. There is no reason why it should not work. That said, many routers have issues maintaining proper throughput for cams, its best to put a switch that connects the blue iris pc to the camera.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do not run your camera through the router. Large volume local traffic should not run through the router.
I would have
1) the router connected to a non-poe switch
2) the non-poe switch connected to the netgear POE switch
3) The netgear POE switch connected to the camera.
4) The BI PC connected to the non-poe switch.

A side note, set a DHCP range in the router for example 192.168.0.10 to 192.186.0.200. Set the camera IP address out side the DHCP range 192.168.0.201 ..... power down and reboot everything if you change the IP address ranges.

ruasonid

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Rebooted but no different. I have a drop cable from the Netgear to the router which I can easily plug into the BI PC rather than the router. But then I'll probably need to use the other drop cable (I just installed for diagnosis) to remote in to the BI PC?

The camera IP is outside the DHCP range.

ruasonid

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I found the problem. Removed the drop cable from the port on the GS308P to check and re-seat it. I found a small piece of insulation debris from the loft space on the connector. Likely the debris was stopping the conductors from making a good connection. I can now access the camera!

Thanks for all your inputs and support.