Universal IP tool for Axis, HikVision, Dahua, Bosch, Hanwah, Vivotek, Panasonic, Flir, etc.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Thank you for this! Using your tool I saw that some of my cameras still had UPnP enabled despite turning it off in the web GUI. Using the Dahua HTTP API I got them all turned off.
And thanks to your instructions, I got mine turned off.

Reaction score
Pretty funny, eh? I ran the scanner and my DirecTV stuff all shows up as UPnP. They each have multiple IP addresses, one for the internet and two for my LAN. That's a whole lot of IPs...
You must have a smart TV, DNLA is based on UPnP :)

If any owner of Synology or Qnap are here, they will most probably find their NAS on the network if video streaming is enabled.

Funny thing, I also included in the tool the discovery of already-connected Google Chromecast as it relates also to video media.

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
No smart (as in 1984) tv. It just won't happen here. It's sucky enough that the DirecTV is UPnP. Living out in the boonies though, my options are DTV or Dish, two arms of the same octopus...

Reaction score
No smart (as in 1984) tv. It just won't happen here. It's sucky enough that the DirecTV is UPnP. Living out in the boonies though, my options are DTV or Dish, two arms of the same octopus...
UPnP is normally local service discovery, so it should communicate only on your LAN with you other local equipment, but not outside.
The most problematic are equipment doing "telemetry" and sending information back to the vendor and their marketing...

Reaction score
Thanks all for you tests and feedback.

I released a new version today, with which you can do some tweaking in the registry (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\UniversalScanner).

Warning: from this version, by default, devices will appears only once in the list if it's detected by several protocols such UPnP or ONVIF (you can orverride this behavior and get whole list by changing the value ForceGenericProtocols in registry).

Axis issue with ZeroConf IP address should be fixed (value ForceZeroConf allow you as well to see all addresses of the found devices).

IPv6 can be supported for some specific vendors (it is disabled by default, you need to change value EnableIPv6 in regisry to enable it).

I removed "a quirk" mode for old Dahua devices, therfore some old Dahua devices might be not detected if your OS is recent.*
*Please let me know if you are impacted too much by this, I can add a registry entry to force enabling this quirk mode.

Very last version can be found here: UniversalScanner (Portable) or here: UniversalScanner (Installer).

Still, supports the open protocols below:

• SSDP (UPnP)
  • WS-Discovery (ONVIF)
  • DNS-SD (Zeroconf)

And new vendor discovery protocols list:

• Axis (should have sharper detection)
  • HikVision
  • Dahua (might miss very old device on newer OS)
  • Bosch
  • Hanwha
  • Vivotek
  • Sony

Last edited:
Reaction score
After I shut off UPnP on a camera, I had to shut down and restart the scanner to see the camera's UPnP removed from the results list.

You can try the new build 2020-05-10 which has a registry key to do some tweaks: UniversalScanner (Portable) or here: UniversalScanner (Installer).
Once you have run it once, the registry key will be created, then go in the registry change this value HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\UniversalScanner\ClearOnRescan to 1.

Please note the change also regarding multi protocol camera, it will appears only once in the list; if you want to restore the old behavior, change the value of ForceGenericProtocols also in registry.

Reaction score
Yes, I see that, I've not yet had a chance to check it out.
Distracted by the run of good weather ...
I have added in the very last version a new registry key to failback to exact ONVIF Device Manager payload, that one should help with the specific camera that does not mach every request:
Update the value HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\UniversalScanner\onvifVerbatim to 1

This will helps with camera that does not implements correctly the WSDiscovery standard.

Reaction score
Publishing a new version with better detection with old Dahua devices via broadcast (in replacement of previously removed "quirk mode") and the support of 360Vision device discovery protocol:
UniversalScanner (Portable) or UniversalScanner (Installer).

That lastly added 360Vision protocol was analyzed with help of remote partner that followed this procedure to collect relevant information.
If anyone interested to get a private discovery protocol integrated, just follow this document and send me data privately (captures contain privates information), I will try to do my best add it.

chavezcctv

n3wb
Reaction score
hi folks.
i need to reset my Hosafe 2MB2W IP POE camera to the default username/password. i have it connected and see he IP address assigned but cannot login it.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Hosafe 2MB2W IP POE camera
From Amazon, maybe this will help :
Question: How to reset this camera?

Answer:
1, if you still have the right account, and can login to visit camera, please use the computer CMS software (in the CD coming with camera) to reset. Right click on live video---remote config---system, in secod tab, you can find recovery to factory default setting.
2, if you forget your password, and when you login, it will show a wrong password code, please contact HOSAFE Support and offer the wrong password code, they will give you a temporary account to login, then reset camera as above steps.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for this.

Found one of my cams, a Dahua 5231RP-Z, continues to use UPnP even with the top "Enable" check box on the setup page disabled. You need to individually uncheck each of the service names to make it stop.

Also several other devices I didn't know had UPnP. I always turn off at router so no big deal, but nice to know.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Forgot to ask earlier... Are you interested in knowing of cams that it did not pick up in my scan?
  • Two are oddballs and probably not worth bothering with.
  • One Hikvision DS-2CD2342WD does not appear.
  • One Annke I61DR-1 (rebranded Hikvision Cube cam) using POE does not appear. BUT another of the same cams running wireless does appear as Hikvision.
All the rest of my various Dahua and Hikvision cams were found.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have tested and validated Sony cameras meanwhile.

Very last version can be now here: UniversalScanner (Portable) or here: UniversalScanner (Installer).

Still, supports the open protocols below:
  • SSDP (UPnP)
  • WS-Discovery (ONVIF)
  • DNS-SD (Zeroconf)
And new vendor discovery protocols list:
  • Axis
  • HikVision
  • Dahua
  • Bosch
  • Hanwha
  • Vivotek
  • Sony
Any feedback welcomed!
I did a Google download and did not find it !
Is it uploaded to the net somewhere so that I can give to my colleagues to go and download. I don't want to download it my workstation and send a zip file across.

Everyone is wfh these days and an independent location to download would help.

Sorry for the trouble.
Thanks much.