Univivi IR Illuminator 6 Leds

ramleaf

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've installed one Univivi Infrared Illuminator, 850nm 6 Leds 90 Degree Wide Angle to improve the night vision of my Hikvision 2CD2032 camera.

The box was not damaged, however the bracket came slightly folded on one side, as you can see in the second image.
Anyway the construction quality is quite good and that detail did not affect the mounting at all.

Here some images:

20161112_204937.jpg
20161112_205017.jpg

Cam IR OFF, Univivi Illuminator OFF (sorry, I can't turn off the street light)

20161113213604_all_off.jpg

Cam IR ON, Univivi Illuminator OFF

20161113213658_ir-on_univivi-off_dahua-off_lamp-off.jpg

Cam IR OFF, Univivi Illuminator ON

20161113220113_ir_off_univivi-on_dahua-off_lamp-off.jpg

Cam IR ON, Univivi Illuminator ON

20161113213759_ir-on_univivi-on_dahua-off_lamp-off.jpg

Cam IR ON, Univivi Illuminator ON + IR from IPC-HFW4431R-Z + 8W Fluorescent lamp.

20161113213133_all-on.jpg

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
That adds a lot more detail to the image, presumably allowing the exposure to drop quite a bit, for reduced motion blur. Quite uniform as well.

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
With the univivi llluminator do you have to turn it on manuallyor does it automatically come on at night ?

ramleaf

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
With the univivi llluminator do you have to turn it on manuallyor does it automatically come on at night ?
It will turn on and off automatically, the sensor is at the rear, to the left of the power cable outlet as you can see in the second image.

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've installed one Univivi Infrared Illuminator, 850nm 6 Leds 90 Degree Wide Angle to improve the night vision of my Hikvision 2CD2032 camera.

The box was not damaged, however the bracket came slightly folded on one side, as you can see in the second image.
Anyway the construction quality is quite good and that detail did not affect the mounting at all.

Here some images:

View attachment 12428
View attachment 12429

Cam IR OFF, Univivi Illuminator OFF (sorry, I can't turn off the street light)

View attachment 12434

Cam IR ON, Univivi Illuminator OFF

View attachment 12430

Cam IR OFF, Univivi Illuminator ON

View attachment 12431

Cam IR ON, Univivi Illuminator ON

View attachment 12432

Cam IR ON, Univivi Illuminator ON + IR from IPC-HFW4431R-Z + 8W Fluorescent lamp.

View attachment 12433
How high off the ground did you mount your IR illuminator?

I am thinking of buying one. Do you think it will be effective if I mount mine from 2nd story soffit?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Tibor Makai

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Essjay, I see in that link, that there is a white light option, for color images at night. What is that white light and it is visible at night?

essjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
One of these wouldn't be enough white light at night. I have 45w of LEDs putting out white light and that's not even enough.

essjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, IR version unless you have lots of other flood lights.

essjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does that come with a lifetime supply of sunblock?

I'm upgrading one of my 15w LEDs to a 30w. That will give me 60w in total our front. I don't want t for colour just to supplement the IR. I will have a couple of high overview cameras in colour 24/7 but they are not for facial recognition.

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Is there any safety concerns with 850nm IR illuminators? Meaning, if visitors were to stare at the light, would that be bad? If so, what is wattage and/or distance where it becomes harmful to the human eye.

I have tried to Google this topic and there is no concensus.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I have tried to Google this topic and there is no concensus.
IR is just light, except your eyes aren't very sensitive to it. I don't know if this necessarily makes it harmless, but it does mean your pupils don't contract like they would with a strong source of visible light.

If anyone has ever been hurt by staring into an IR illuminator, then it hasn't been well publicized.

GaryOkie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've had one of these installed for 2 years and it no longer turns on at night. My troubleshooting has found that the LED's will come on just fine if the photocell is removed from the circuit. The tiny photocell is an unusual design and I've not found any matching images via Google. There are absolutely no markings on it.

I suppose I could just plug the power supply into an external dusk-dawn outlet and leave the internal photocell out. I'd rather find a replacement. I know it's a longshot asking here - but by chance, would anyone be able to provide a lead on a possible photocell replacement that looks like the attached?

Attachments

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
I've had one of these installed for 2 years and it no longer turns on at night. My troubleshooting has found that the LED's will come on just fine if the photocell is removed from the circuit. The tiny photocell is an unusual design and I've not found any matching images via Google. There are absolutely no markings on it.

I suppose I could just plug the power supply into an external dusk-dawn outlet and leave the internal photocell out. I'd rather find a replacement. I know it's a longshot asking here - but by chance, would anyone be able to provide a lead on a possible photocell replacement that looks like the attached?
you can try looking at adafruit.com or digikey.com

GaryOkie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks Mikey! All I was able to find before was the photo*resister* type, but Adafruit lists a photo*transistor* type that looks like the original photocell. I'll give it a shot...