UNMANAGED SWITCH SUGGESTIONS

Stanley71

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I’m looking for an unmanaged Switch for my system. I need at least 10 ports with POE to start. It must be plug and play with no IP address configurations. Idiot proof. Two separate units would be ok but must still be plug and play, would prefer one though. I had wonderful help here trying to set up a managed switch with no success. Never again. Looking for name brand quality devices at a reasonable cost and quite. I haven’t had much success finding one with all POE ports. I have read many reviews here but looking for recent information and experiences. This is only for a home camera system. Idiot proof!!!

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hit the link in my signature for some suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stanley71

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not sure what you mean but if I try the http under your post nothing happens.

I have read many most on switches and you were well represented. The problem is many of the suggested switches have only half of the poe ports I need. Strange it’s this difficult to find a Poe’s switch for my needs. Nelly’s security has a unmanaged 16 port all with Poe for $300.00. Maybe it’s just a higher price item than I anticipated.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure what you mean but if I try the http under your post nothing happens.

I have read many most on switches and you were well represented. The problem is many of the suggested switches have only half of the poe ports I need. Strange it’s this difficult to find a Poe’s switch for my needs. Nelly’s security has a unmanaged 16 port all with Poe for $300.00. Maybe it’s just a higher price item than I anticipated.
https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Unmanaged-Energy-efficient-Rackmount-TL-SG1008PE/dp/B00E6LID0S/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1507487734&sr=8-4&keywords=unmanaged+poe

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Stanley71

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Giomania is the V7 a name brand company? Seem very inexpensive for what it does compared to other companies. $85.00 total. Know anyone that has used this one with success.

Mr. F, I would then need two of these tp-links to accomplish my task, 10 cameras. $250.00 total.

$85.00 vs $250.00 quite a difference in pricing. Lots of info on tp-links not much at all on V7.

Stanley71

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is from Amazon question section about this product.

Question:
Will this power Grandstream IP phones?

Answer:
Short answer is YES, it will power the IP Phone.
The V7 POE switch uses networking standard IEEE 802.3at. Reading up on the Grandstream IP phones, they also use the IEEE standard making them compatible without any issues.
Thanks,… see more
By V7 Guru MANUFACTURER on June 21, 2017

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Giomania is the V7 a name brand company? Seem very inexpensive for what it does compared to other companies. $85.00 total. Know anyone that has used this one with success.

Mr. F, I would then need two of these tp-links to accomplish my task, 10 cameras. $250.00 total.

$85.00 vs $250.00 quite a difference in pricing. Lots of info on tp-links not much at all on V7.
yes you pay for a name brand....you spend all this money on a system then cheap out on a weak link...makes no sense to me..there are cheaper than 250 name brand 16 port poe...the advantage to 8 port is availability of fanless...some of these fans are very loud.

Stanley71

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
To me also, I’m going by what is suggested here and researching. When I started I had no idea what a name brand POE switch was or for that matter what it is. I’m going by what I read here. Zyxel was my first choice based on one of your recommendations. So it still appears that an 8 plus port, brand name switch is elusive. Looks like it’s going to be two of them or something like Nelly’s offering.

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Even caulking it could be pretty messy, but if done with white might look pretty good. I was thinking along the lines of stuffing in a couple of high density foam pieces, perhaps cut from those round pipe insulation pieces you can buy from Home Depot/etc if nothing else. The black color would fit with the "void" look and would not yellow like white foam might. Have not mounted mine yet so may think of something else when the time comes.
I was thinking some foam weather stripping followed with a little application of silicone caulk and smoothing it out nicely.

Frost King E/O 5/16 in. x 1/4 in. x 17 ft. Black EPDM Cellular Rubber Weatherstrip Tape-V25BK - The Home Depot

yes you pay for a name brand....you spend all this money on a system then cheap out on a weak link...makes no sense to me..there are cheaper than 250 name brand 16 port poe...the advantage to 8 port is availability of fanless...some of these fans are very loud.
I have not found anyone on this forum with practical experience using this switch. Since all this stuff is made in China, it may be fine, or it may not. Like Fenderman says, you may be taking a risk, but it depends upon your willingness to accept the risk or not. I will need an 8-port PoE switch at some point, and V7 has a $37 version at ProAdvantage. Mighty tempting, I have to say, but am not sure what I will do when the time comes.

Mark

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This is from Amazon question section about this product.

Question:
Will this power Grandstream IP phones?

Answer:
Short answer is YES, it will power the IP Phone.
The V7 POE switch uses networking standard IEEE 802.3at. Reading up on the Grandstream IP phones, they also use the IEEE standard making them compatible without any issues.
Thanks,… see more
By V7 Guru MANUFACTURER on June 21, 2017
OK, so the manufacturer website does mention the correct standards : http://www.v7-world.com/uk/16-port-gigabit-10-100-1000-base-t-poe-switch.html#horizontalTab8 though the model suffix is 1E not 1N
Curious though why the various outlets I checked made no mention, it seemed suspicious and may have explained the low pricing.
I also found it strange that they would not ensure the listings correctly specify the standard. I saw on Amazon a manufacturer comment about PoE+ support for the 8-port version of the switch, and then dug a little more to find IEEE802.3at. Given the price on ProVantage, I was shocked given the typically higher pricing for equivalent specifications on "name brand" switches.

Mark

Stanley71

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Mark
I really appreciate your input. I’m not willing at this point to except any risk. If I wasn’t so inept the managed switchs I purchased would have worked out fine. At this point I just want to get my system up and running. It appears this switch is more of a vital part to the system than I thought. So I want something bullet proof and as I stated before, idiot proof. What are people using for systems using more than 8 cameras? Seems impractical to have to buy several switch’s when one should suffice. Kind of bewildering.

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Some people distribute switches around the property to get them closer to the cameras, therefore making multiple switches with fewer ports feasible.

Stanley71

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
With this description:
  • This switch has 8 10/100 PoE powered ports with 2 additional 10/100/1000 gigabit non-powered uplink ports.
Would this be considered a fast Ethernet or gigabit switch?